Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has & who hasn't already sent in their renewal forms?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Sparks wrote: »
    If your extension says "until Oct 31", then your licence runs out on October 31. October 31 is not the date the application must be in by, it's the date on which your licence expires and you're left in possession of an unlicenced firearm.

And if the local Super says bring them in, that's a precondition on your licence. And no, you don't have to bring them in. You can just sell them to the dealer and call it quits instead.

But if you want to keep them? And the Super (not the guy on the desk, because he can't make this stuff up) says so? Yeah, you have to do it.

Correct sparks,the inspection at your house is at time of your first application, whoever has had a guard call up and check after you had yor licence granted?. If you are told to bring them then you are compelled to do so,whether it is wriitten in law or not,if you dont comply you do not get your licence till you do simple as that. You have to apply for your licence before the extension runs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Sparks wrote: »
    If your extension says "until Oct 31", then your licence runs out on October 31. October 31 is not the date the application must be in by, it's the date on which your licence expires and you're left in possession of an unlicenced firearm.

And if the local Super says bring them in, that's a precondition on your licence. And no, you don't have to bring them in. You can just sell them to the dealer and call it quits instead.

But if you want to keep them? And the Super (not the guy on the desk, because he can't make this stuff up) says so? Yeah, you have to do it.

i have a e mail stating this..
    an applicant may apply for his/hers new 3 year certificate at any time prior to the expiry of the extension.

but it would not be good practice to wait till the day before expiry.

so it has noting to do with the local Sargent of super.there rank and file and have no say in it.this decision has been made for them from the top

thats the good thing about orders and dicisions they go down not up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

jwshooter wrote: »
    i have a e mail stating this..
    an applicant may apply for his/hers new 3 year certificate at any time prior to the expiry of the extension.

but it would not be good practice to wait till the day before expiry.
    In theory jw.

If you left it until the day before your extension ran out and they subsequently took three months deciding on your application, you'd be unlicensed for almost three months. :(

And they have three months to make a decision, that's in the firearms acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So what happens in the meantime? Do you hand in your guns to a dealer?

And about them asking you to bring it in:

"Before renewing a firearm certificate, an authorised member shall be of opinion that the conditions to which it is subject have been complied with and will continue to be complied with during the period for which the certificate is renewed."

One of those conditions would be that you still have it and it's still the same firearm all of which they can request you to prove.

Anybody who's travelled abroad to compete will no doubt be familiar with being asked to open their gun case and allow an officer inspect the firearm and the paperwork to ensure they match.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    So what happens in the meantime? Do you hand in your guns to a dealer?
    You could, or you could ask for a further extension from the commissioner.

Indeed, the difference being that in an aiprort or ferryport "Fat Anto" and the lads are unlikely to be watching proceedings whereas they could easily be watching whilst they are signing the bail register in the Garda Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

In Australia, once you pick up your firearm you have to register it at the local police station, you bring the firearm in a case, bolt and magazine out. You present the case to the police office who opens it. Fairly straight forward.

I would assume this takes place out of public view?

I can remember the first time i had to present my firearms to the station for inspection, i think i had five at the time. I went in to renew my permits,my FO said I need to inspect your weapons, I said ok where and when ? the FO said here and now! I said HERE NOW? you want me to bring them in here,the FO said seriously but jokingly, YES why do you think I am going out to inspect them at your place?. I went and got my guns 3 o clock in the day,trying to get a parking space outside the station, no way. I had to park about 200yds away open the boot take out 5 guns in cases two across my shoulder 3 in my arms struggle up to the station,push my way into the public office and stand there while they contacted the FO. every scut and scum bag was in the que waiting to sign in.

• Advertisement

What I think is ridiculous is I recieved my renewals last week,five of them,fine but in five different envelopes from the same place. Not is only a waste of money but the postman now knows I have five firearms,why not put them in the one envelope. Also it is now sourced out to your local Post Office to renew your licences,the local gossips will know by how much you are paying how many guns you have. Now dont get me wrong Im am not saying all Post Offfices are the same but local ones are a place for gossip and loose lips sink ships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

I can remember the first time i had to present my firearms to the station for inspection, i think i had five at the time. I went in to renew my permits,my FO said I need to inspect your weapons, I said ok where and when ? the FO said here and now! I said HERE NOW? you want me to bring them in here,the FO said seriously but jokingly, YES why do you think I am going out to inspect them at your place?. I went and got my guns 3 o clock in the day,trying to get a parking space outside the station, no way. I had to park about 200yds away open the boot take out 5 guns in cases two across my shoulder 3 in my arms struggle up to the station,push my way into the public office and stand there while they contacted the FO. every scut and scum bag was in the que waiting to sign in.

Now that is just plain wrong!-thats tantamount to putting an ad in local gazzette telling everyone what you have stored in your home-theres no one so far has stated that there is anything wrong or that they have a problem complying with the garda wishes on firearms/security, but theres has to be a fair sprinkling of common sense used when dealing with the matter and having to lug your firearms into the front desk of the garda barracks for anyone to see is making a dogs ass of crime prevention.

If the Garda Siochana dont see that then its worrying:(

Mine arrived in a non descript white envelopes with no obvious signs it was from the Gardaí.
    There are other payment options than the post office. In any event I would pay mine in the next town so that is not an issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It may be presumptuous of me to assume all stations run the same. When i got the pistol my local Garda (not FO) asked to see it. I told him to drop out whenever he wanted. He called out a week later when i wasn't there and was told that i was't there and they had no idea where the keys to the room and gun safes were (which was the truth) and therefore could not produce the gun. That plus i've told all in my household that even if they did happen to know where my keys were they cannot handle or go near my firearms as they are not licenced for them.

At no time did the Garda ask/demand that i produce the firearm at the station. He called my mobile a week later and set a time over a weekend to come out and see it. I met him, invited him in and showed him the secure room, safes, alarm and more importantly the gun. Thats why i'm so adamant about the not bringing them to a station. My local Gardai told me if they need to see/inspect the guns they know where i live and will drop out to me.

Getting back to the OP and the original theme of the thread my extensions run out on 31/10/09. I have my applications away since Monday and was told they will be processed in about 3-4 weeks, so inline with what rrpc was saying they have 3 months to process the application so the earlier you get them away the better. If my extensions run out before i get a decision at least i can contact the FO/Super and say i had them in within the time frame and the delay is a result of slow processing on the Gardai's end rather than me leaving it till the last day to apply.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

.......but theres has to be a fair sprinkling of common sense used when dealing with the matter and having to lug your firearms into the front desk of the garda barracks for anyone to see is making a dogs ass of crime prevention.

If the Garda Siochana dont see that then its worrying:(

This is the last of my tuppence worth as i'm just going to repeat myself. My local station and just about all the stations i've been in have these little narrow hatches that you speak to the desk Garda through. Imagine handing him in a valuble target rifle and he bangs it of the hatch, counter or worse again loses his grip and drops it. :eek::eek:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

from what im hearing there could be a extension on the first date the 30/10/09 as there not ready to process them .the local cops have not received any guide lines on the new act.

rrpc wrote: »
    In theory jw.

If you left it until the day before your extension ran out and they subsequently took three months deciding on your application, you'd be unlicensed for almost three months. :(

And they have three months to make a decision, that's in the firearms acts.

my info came straight from garda HQ .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

mine are out on the 31 st oct whats the panic i have over 3 months to put them in .

As I told you on the "other" forum, you have to have recieved the new licence by 31/10/09, not apply for it by then ;)

my info came straight from garda HQ .
    Mine comes from the Commissioner. ;)

And it's exactly the same as yours. So are you going to wait until the 30th October to apply?

Let us know how you get on :D

ezridax wrote: »
    This is the last of my tuppence worth as i'm just going to repeat myself. My local station and just about all the stations i've been in have these little narrow hatches that you speak to the desk Garda through. Imagine handing him in a valuble target rifle and he bangs it of the hatch, counter or worse again loses his grip and drops it. :eek::eek:
    Gosh!

Must be very small Gardai in your neck of the woods :D

• Advertisement

As I told you on the "other" forum, you have to have recieved the new licence by 31/10/09, not apply for it by then ;)

no your wrong

Mine comes from the Commissioner. ;)

And it's exactly the same as yours. So are you going to wait until the 30th October to apply?

Let us know how you get on :D

legally i can .
    buy i will apply when i get my stuff in order but im in no panic.

Gosh!

Must be very small Gardai in your neck of the woods :D

Here is my local FO with my Sako 308. The other fellow was so small you can't even see him in the photo:D:D:D:D

no your wrong

Of course I am, :eek:, on which part? the licence part or the other forum part ;)

If I were you I'd read the letter again :), slower ;) or are you special in the eyes of the law ?

legally i can .

I'm intrigued, please explain ?

Of course I am, :eek:, on which part? the licence part or the other forum part ;)

If I were you I'd read the letter again :), slower ;) or are you special in the eyes of the law ?

read post 33 s l o w l y

legally i can .
    buy i will apply when i get my stuff in order but im in no panic.
    jw

Keeping it simple so ;)

Your extension runs out on 31st October

That means that on the 1st November you will have no licence.

Even if you apply before the 31st October

Because the Super has three months to 'consider' your application.

He might take less time.

But that's up to him.

Understand?

read post 33 s l o w l y

I tried to read it slowly, but when you wrote it you wrote it fast :p

Read post 5 8,

I

d o n ' t

t h i n k

y o u

u n d e r s t a n d

w h a t

i s

h a p p e n i n g

or you are just being you usual self :p

Tell you what post this e-mail here ?

jw

Keeping it simple so ;)

Your extension runs out on 31st October

That means that on the 1st November you will have no licence.

Even if you apply before the 31st October

Because the Super has three months to 'consider' your application.

He might take less time.

But that's up to him.

Understand?

there inefficiency's is not my problem .if they cant furnish me with a licence or answer before my expiry date they will have to extend my original licence again.
    i have often payed my licences before the 31 of july and did not receive my licences back for weeks .
    there is not a sargent in the country in local barracks that knows what is going on at this stage.

so i dont know how there going to process the first batch if they have not got the information.

• Advertisement

I tried to read it slowly, but when you wrote it you wrote it fast :p

Read post 5 8,

I

d o n ' t

y o u

u n d e r s t a n d

w h a t

i s

h a p p e n i n g

or you are just being you usual self :p

bunny where did you get your imformation from .

Advertisement