Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has & who hasn't already sent in their renewal forms?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

jwshooter wrote: »
    there inefficiency's is not my problem .if they cant furnish me with a licence or answer before my expiry date they will have to extend my original licence again.
    i have often payed my licences before the 31 of july and did not receive my licences back for weeks .
    It's not their inefficiency, it's the amount of time they are allowed to make a decision on an application.

And these are all considered applications, not renewals.

So if you don't give them enough time, it's your tough luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

bunny where did you get your imformation from .

Same place as you difference seems to be your comprehension and attitude to this farce are different to mine ;)

I gave up trying to beat "big brother" and "the system" years ago as I realised you will NEVER win, even if your right ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

rrpc wrote: »
    It's not their inefficiency, it's the amount of time they are allowed to make a decision on an application.

And these are all considered applications, not renewals.

So if you don't give them enough time, it's your tough luck.

there is more grey areas that the weather in this ,the first year will have tee-ding problems.

they will have to extend the first lot or individual applicants. if they cant cope.
    what if you were on holls for a few weeks ,its the time of year for it .your time would be short to get club cards ,deer stalking permits farmers letters etc in order .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Same place as you difference seems to be your comprehension and attitude to this farce are different to mine ;)

I gave up trying to beat "big brother" and "the system" years ago as I realised you will NEVER win, even if your right ;)
    if you pm me your e mail i will send you a copy

if you pm me your e mail i will send you a copy

Fair enough ;)

However my email address contains my full name and I wanna try and keep that private here :o

• Advertisement

.............your time would be short to get club cards ,deer stalking permits farmers letters etc in order .

TBH I have been trying to get all my paperwork in order only got last bit tonight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Jw, as someone pointed out in here before (rather succintly I thought), when it comes to the law, the gray area is the corner of the cell that you urinate in.

As rrpc and bunny told you, you have until Oct.31 to apply; the Super has three months from when you apply to answer. If you apply on Oct.30 and it takes him a month to get back to you, that's a month you have no licence for, and if you get caught in possession of your firearms in that month, you'll learn rather bloody quickly that a licence is not some entitlement that the Gardai have to scramble to give to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sam I Am

What I think is ridiculous is I recieved my renewals last week,five of them,fine but in five different envelopes from the same place. Not is only a waste of money but the postman now knows I have five firearms,why not put them in the one envelope. Also it is now sourced out to your local Post Office to renew your licences,the local gossips will know by how much you are paying how many guns you have. Now dont get me wrong Im am not saying all Post Offfices are the same but local ones are a place for gossip and loose lips sink ships
    Yup, not so comfortable with that scenario.
    Correct sparks,the inspection at your house is at time of your first application, whoever has had a guard call up and check after you had yor licence granted?. If you are told to bring them then you are compelled to do so,whether it is wriitten in law or not,if you dont comply you do not get your licence till you do simple as that. You have to apply for your licence before the extension runs out.
    I've had the local Garda call up at least twice to check that I still possess the rifle and that the serial number matched the cert. Part-time Garda Station.
    Bond-007 wrote: »
    Mine arrived in a non descript white envelopes with no obvious signs it was from the Gardaí.
    There are other payment options than the post office. In any event I would pay mine in the next town so that is not an issue.
    Mine def. had Gardaí stuff visible cos I thought I'd gotten a speeding ticket before I opened it.

City residents, the Postperson might not think anything of it. But rural, where they're delivering more Cert renewals in a week than anything else, I think they might twig alright.

Sam I Am wrote: »
    Mine def. had Gardaí stuff visible cos I thought I'd gotten a speeding ticket before I opened it.

City residents, the Postperson might not think anything of it. But rural, where they're delivering more Cert renewals in a week than anything else, I think they might twig alright.
    When everyone had a renewal on the 31st July, it was always pretty obvious what was in them brown envelopes (even if they didn't have 'firearms section' printed on them :o).

From now on though, it'll be different times of the year and if it's the plain white envelope that we got this year then it'll be very hard to narrow down.

Bear in mind that we're looking at it from the recipients point of view and we have a fair idea what's in our post before we open it. For the postman, it's the millionth envelope he's seen this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Sparks wrote: »
    Jw, as someone pointed out in here before (rather succintly I thought), when it comes to the law, the gray area is the corner of the cell that you urinate in.

As rrpc and bunny told you, you have until Oct.31 to apply; the Super has three months from when you apply to answer. If you apply on Oct.30 and it takes him a month to get back to you, that's a month you have no licence for, and if you get caught in possession of your firearms in that month, you'll learn rather bloody quickly that a licence is not some entitlement that the Gardai have to scramble to give to you...

your thinking is a bit out of touch with reality on that one sparks, every year in ireland the gardai are chasing up folks till september or october to relicence their shotguns and rifles, not everyone made the annual pilgrimage to their local station to pay their licence fees on the 1st of august every year , hell one year i was told to come back in a few weeks because the "book" hadnt been sent down yet so in effect the garda told me to carry on and do what your doing without a licence, Thats reality in Ireland!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Seeing as nobody (AFAIK) got their extension until after the BH weekend there was a few days when nobody seemed to have a valid firearms license.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Seeing as nobody (AFAIK) got their extension until after the BH weekend there was a few days when nobody seemed to have a valid firearms license.
    Except that somewhere in the postal system was a letter dated 28th July extending your licence until whenever. Effectively meaning you were licensed even if you didn't have possession of the licence.

According to the poll, 10% of people on here received their extension letters on or before 31st July.

your thinking is a bit out of touch with reality on that one sparks, every year in ireland the gardai are chasing up folks till september or october to relicence their shotguns and rifles, not everyone made the annual pilgrimage to their local station to pay their licence fees on the 1st of august every year , hell one year i was told to come back in a few weeks because the "book" hadnt been sent down yet so in effect the garda told me to carry on and do what your doing without a licence, Thats reality in Ireland!!
    There's a subtle yet considerable difference between the two scenarios. Previously your licence was sitting in the Garda station waiting for you to collect and pay for. Now, you don't know for sure if you are going to get a licence and there may well be nothing licensing you when your extension runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Have'nt sent in mine yet
    want to wait till the guidelines are out but only waiting till the end of this week and if they are not out i will just send them in and take my chances.
    dont want to leave it much later than that.
    renewal is 31 oct 09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

^
    |
    |
    What he said.

I have mine pretty much completed, but want to see the Commissioner's Guidelines before committing them to the system
    If that still hasn't appeared by the end of this week, they'll be going in as they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JG Murphy

Prehaps this is a ploy to take firearms out of the system?

Delay the guidlines, people wait, then apply. Super takes his sweet time. In the meantime you end up becoming unlicenced resulting in the Gardaí taking action.

Should the extension deadline loom with no sign of new licences in the offing, my firearms will be going into the secure custody of my local friendly firearms dealer.
    There's no way I'll be putting myself in the position of having possession of unlicenced firearms.

As rrpc has already said, the old days of procrastinating on paying the fee and collecting the renewed licence are gone, we are now applying for new licences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Well said Rovi.
    As rrpc has already said, the old days of procrastinating on paying the fee and collecting the renewed licence are gone, we are now applying for new licences.
    The farmer boys may not realise this and find themselves in a world of trouble when their extensions expire. One chap I was talking to thought the extension letter was his renewal for the year. I then explained the new system to him. "Ah sure won't the local guard call round when he wants the money?" is what he replied.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Rovi wrote: »
    Should the extension deadline loom with no sign of new licences in the offing, my firearms will be going into the secure custody of my local friendly firearms dealer.
    There's no way I'll be putting myself in the position of having possession of unlicenced firearms.

Suppose the dealer refuses to take the firearm, or charges for storage?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Well said Rovi.

The farmer boys may not realise this and find themselves in a world of trouble when their extensions expire. One chap I was talking to thought the extension letter was his renewal for the year. I then explained the new system to him. "Ah sure won't the local guard call round when he wants the money?" is what he replied.

:eek:
    As a card carrying member of the IFA, I take deep offence at the tone of your post!

:D

I agree with your main point though; most of us here are taking a deep and personal interest in all this stuff, and are seeking out and reading the many and various documents currently available (and eagerly awaiting those that aren't!), and are probably well capable of debating the fine details of whether or not a particular firearm is Restricted or otherwise, or whether we fall into one particular security Level or other.
    For the vast majority of firearm owners though, all this stuff is appearing out of the blue, and the first they heard of it was when the Extension letter appeared.

Someone else has already mentioned it somewhere here, but I think The System will come under considerable strain dealing with the huge number of 'ordinary' applications from the people for whom this is 'News', and for many I'd suspect, regarded as an un-necessary and intrusive bureaucratic task.

Actually, now that I think of it, I haven't heard a single word from the IFA on this, despite us being told that they're on the FCP as their membership constitutes a very large percentage of the firearm certificates out there.

• Advertisement

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Suppose the dealer refuses to take the firearm, or charges for storage?
    I have 4 dealerships whom I know well and frequent on a regular basis, and I'll be amazed if any of them refuse.
    I have no objection to paying a (reasonable) storage fee, and fully intend offering to pay one if the dealer doesn't bring the subject up.

I've talked to enough dealers over the years to know what a headache 'firearm storage' is for them, with guns left for years on their books in some cases.
    Guns in storage or with deposits paid but never collected take up space the dealer could be using for guns for sale, and they add to the admin burden of bookkeeping, insurance, etc.
    I have no objection whatsoever to a dealer charging a fee to store firearms, or reserving the right to put back up for sale guns on which deposits were paid but never collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Went chatting to the local FO on Saturday to try clarify a couple of things (he did his best) and I know various officers will be different anyway here goes for ye.
    1. Apply for new licence no monies change hand
    2. Superintendent says yes and ticks the box a "giro" is posted to you inviting you to pay for the licence
    3. You pay (gardai are notified) licence issued

Says I that sounds like a lot of work, yes and all done at District level, we have to train someone. What happens if I apply and due to backlog and no fault of my own my extension is running close to or over the mark. we'll ammend and give it a new date.

Should the lads apply now that licences arent up in May,

If they want but priority will be for Novemeber firearms then next month etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

rrpc wrote: »
    There's a subtle yet considerable difference between the two scenarios. Previously your licence was sitting in the Garda station waiting for you to collect and pay for. Now, you don't know for sure if you are going to get a licence and there may well be nothing licensing you when your extension runs out.

Care to wager that i will retain my firearms, as will you and the rest on here after all this scaremongering is over:D-firearms will be more difficult to licence infuture and will not be issued on a whim like they were, but for genuine shooters there wont be any problems-except for the pistol;shooters who got a royal shafting out of this:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I sent in my applications last night .
    About an hour after I dropped them the fo rang me and said he had checked pulse and my extensions were until jul 2010 but I have the letters saying oct 2009 .
    He then said that he would try to get them done for me but because pulse has a different date of extension they may not be processed till then .
    So as far as I can see I'll be the proud owner of 4 unlicenced guns by the end of october unless he can sort it.
    Has anyone else come across this yet?

Care to wager that i will retain my firearms, as will you and the rest on here after all this scaremongering is over:D-firearms will be more difficult to licence infuture and will not be issued on a whim like they were, but for genuine shooters there wont be any problems-except for the pistol;shooters who got a royal shafting out of this:(
    Generally yes. I think (hope :() most people who have been exercising their 'good reason' since they got their licences should have no problem with the new system.

I'm also hopeful that those who have never had 'good reason' or made one up to get a licence and reflected badly on the rest of us, are weeded out of the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Rovi wrote: »
    I have mine pretty much completed, but want to see the Commissioner's Guidelines before committing them to the system
    If that still hasn't appeared by the end of this week, they'll be going in as they are.

I was told by someone in the know that the guidelines were expected today. However:

"should be in before the end of the month" was as good as I've been told by the Garda Firearm Policy Unit this morning, when asked if we should wait to get our club/range pulse IDs before submitting the forms - "probably".

I'm gonna wait.

edit: this is because I have some restricted kit and I want to have every supporting detail included so I can secure my certificates. People with standard shotguns/rifles for hunting don't need range Pulse IDs obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

To quote a great man:
    G17 wrote: »
    I'm gonna wait.

I don't want to put in an application for target shooting on a range that isn't yet authorised under the new system. Until I see the guidelines saying that a previously authorised range/club with new approval pending is ok, I don't want to run the risk of sending in forms and they get lost, mixed up etc.

Coming closer to the extension deadline I'll likely chicken out and submit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ronan nee

How many of you have had their original extensions extended again.
    my exstensions where for the 31st oct 2009 but I got new extionsions till 30th june 2010 this week.

will I get another extension next week?:eek:

just read another thread on here, I guess I am not

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

ronan nee wrote: »
    How many of you have had their original extensions extended again.
    my exstensions where for the 31st oct 2009 but I got new extionsions till 30th june 2010 this week.

will I get another extension next week?:eek:

In the same boat as yourself ronan there is a few of us that have got extensions to the original. There is another thread somewere here on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 .243 express

Just back from the Cop shop.I was trying to licence my guns and was told that i would have to bring them in for inspection and that there were new letters being issued to everyone to that effect.Some Heap of Cr_p.............Anyone else have the same problem.

Advertisement