Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has & who hasn't already sent in their renewal forms?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Just back from the Cop shop.I was trying to licence my guns and was told that i would have to bring them in for inspection and that there were new letters being issued to everyone to that effect.Some Heap of Cr_p.............Anyone else have the same problem.

welcome to the club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Just back from the Cop shop.I was trying to licence my guns and was told that i would have to bring them in for inspection and that there were new letters being issued to everyone to that effect.Some Heap of Cr_p.............Anyone else have the same problem.
    As Jonty has already discovered, they're entitled to ask it and you're entitled to comply ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

This whole shiny new system is looking more and more like it's going to collapse under its own weight.

243 express, Just explain to them that you have no problem presenting the guns for inspection but you'd prefer if it happened in an office not over the front desk for some scummer to walk in behind you with your pride any glory on display for all to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 .243 express

They need to sort this out.Another one of my mates went to a different station.He lives in a different district and he just told me he was asked to take pictures of his guns and bring pictures in for inspection...its a joke.Needs to be standardized.

• Advertisement

They need to sort this out.Another one of my mates went to a different station.He lives in a different district and he just told me he was asked to take pictures of his guns and bring pictures in for inspection...its a joke.Needs to be standardized.

I fully agree with you. But at the end of the day, its better just to do what the pleb at the desk asks.

Rovi wrote: »
    This whole shiny new system is looking more and more like it's going to collapse under its own weight.
    How do you know that hasn't already happened? ;)

I agree that they should be doing this though. There are probably hundreds of licences on the system with no firearms to match them out there. Then there's probably a huge amount of double counting and firearms being simultaneously in two places.

Imagine for a minute, an accounting system that has been operated by untrained staff for 90% of the time, has no internal checks and hasn't been audited for eighty years.....

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I was asked if i had everything on the checklist.Gun for inspection wasnt mentioned on the checklist.Nothing to do only comply with the Guards.Maybe they are only trying to do the job???

I was asked if i had everything on the checklist.Gun for inspection wasnt mentioned on the checklist.Nothing to do only comply with the Guards.Maybe they are only trying to do the job???
    All of this will be of benefit to us in the end. The minister is not happy about the numbers, we're not happy about the kind of data being kept and the Gardai, well the Gardai just aren't happy ;)

So if the proper data is arrived at, the numbers made to match reality and the system streamlined to at least make the Gardai, if not happy at least contented, we're all better off.

I'm a notorious optimist though :)

I hope you are right...Dont need this hassle even if it will be every 3 years.

• Advertisement

I hope you are right...Dont need this hassle even if it will be every 3 years.
    I doubt it'll be needed every three years. There's decades of 'sure it'll do' that needs to be sorted out and once that's done, the new system should be more than capable of keeping things balanced.

We hope :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You know, I wouldn't mind that so much rrpc, but it seems like we're still stuck in the "erra, it'll be grand" mindset with a few things on this new system that we've mentioned on here in the last week or two...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I absolutely agree that the current set-up is in dire need of reform and audit, but in my opinion, it should be done something like this:
    EVERY licenced firearm should be checked during the course of this one year re-application period, with typos, misprints, clerical errors, duplications, and whatever else sorted out once and for all. The big majority will be correct, most of the erroneous stuff will be easily corrected, and a small proportion will merit more thorough investigation.
    This should be done by way of Garda inspection at the place the firearms are stored, at the licence holder's home in most cases. This would remove the personal security issue of having people hauling their firearms into the local Garda Station.
    This firearm inspection would occur BEFORE the three month application period, and would also include an inspection of the secure accommodation of the firearm, along with advice and literature on security issues and detailing the application process, including copies of the FCA1 form and other supporting documentation.

The majority of these visits/inspections could be done by 'ordinary' Gardai, not necessarily by Crime Prevention Officers, certainly those that would fall into Level 1 security (one shotgun) anyway, and probably most of the Level 2 stuff too.
    There appear to be a lot of people out there (I've personally met a couple) who think that the Extension Letter is a 'free' licence for a year, and that the local Gardai will contact them when their new licence is in the Station and they want the money.
    A visit by and a chat with someone in uniform would 'clarify' the true situation wonderfully.

I realise that the above will cost money and resources (both scarce), but if the Minister and the Department are really serious about sorting out 'proliferation' and 'gun culture' and 'looking after the public safety', it'll have to be done.
    Otherwise, we'll continue to have much of the same garbled information that's in the system right now, just rearranged a bit.

While I'm on a roll, I think that during the upcoming year of reapplications for everyone, all of the newly granted licences should be randomly and equally assigned for one, two, or three years, with the fee adjusted to match.
    Otherwise, in three years time, there'll be approx. 230k reapplications/renewals/whatever to deal with all over again, with however many few thousand new ones are issued in the intervening years coming around again in the meantime.
    It'll take decades for the workload to even out otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Sparks wrote: »
    but it seems like we're still stuck in the "erra, it'll be grand" mindset with a few things on this new system that we've mentioned on here in the last week or two...

Nnnoooooooo!!! Say it's not true; clarity, fairness, no room for the well to do local businessman who knows himself for years but doesn't have the time to go to the range who'll fcuk it up for everyone, again.

"I'll scweam and scweam until I make mythelf thick, I can you know"

:(

Rovi wrote: »
    I absolutely agree that the current set-up is in dire need of reform and audit, but in my opinion, it should be done something like this:
    EVERY licenced firearm should be checked during the course of this one year re-application period, with typos, misprints, clerical errors, duplications, and whatever else sorted out once and for all. The big majority will be correct, most of the erroneous stuff will be easily corrected, and a small proportion will merit more thorough investigation.
    This should be done by way of Garda inspection at the place the firearms are stored, at the licence holder's home in most cases. This would remove the personal security issue of having people hauling their firearms into the local Garda Station.
    Although it sounds like sense Rovi, it just won't work. The quantities involved, the impracticality of trying to arrange visits with people who mostly won't be home during the day which would then put all the burden on the evening shift (who are already probably overworked as it is). Some of the smaller stations have some of the largest numbers of licences and just two or three Gardai!
    While I'm on a roll, I think that during the upcoming year of reapplications for everyone, all of the newly granted licences should be randomly and equally assigned for one, two, or three years, with the fee adjusted to match.
    That's a good idea. I've already pointed out this anomaly where the graph will have a blip for one year and flatten for two. Unfortunately it will need legislative changes to do.

Advertisement