Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is not a thread about how to get around Customs or Taxs

• 14-08-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

I know this is not strictly a photographic question and if the Mods feel it should be moved so be it.
    I am an American living in Dublin. I pay income taxes in Ireland.
    Here is the question.

If I order photographic or any other type of equipment from the states, if it gets stopped at customs will I have to pay the VAT on it?

I know that if I leave the EU with in three months of buying something I can get the VAT back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

.... if it gets stopped at customs will I have to pay the VAT on it? ....

Yes, you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

thanks, that what I expected/feared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

why not order it to be delivered to "home" and collect next time you visit.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    why not order it to be delivered to "home" and collect next time you visit.

I have thought about it, but won't be going home until Christmas (maybe) and I am too impatience to wait that long and worry that we won't be able to go. Flights are not cheap to the west coast of the US.

One other question: How do they calculate the vat on items? is it based on their value in a shop here or based on what you paid on the invoice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I think its import tax and VAT ..... its a bit of a grey area.... I've had stuff stopped at customs and told I had to pay duty on it - which somehow came to 15% of the shipping value....but on seperate occasions have also been charged 21% VAT by customs.

its pot luck really - I dont think some customs officers know what they are charging.

* Couple of years ago (about 10yrs ago) - stopped by customs who insisted that I pay cash or they wouldnt release my lens. (Paid by cash and insisted on getting a receipt)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Right, hypothetical question. Say I were to bring my lighting kit to the US, and... well... I left it at my friends house over there. Sh*te, what an inconvenience! If it were posted back to me, would it be taxed again? Considering I bought it in Eire/UK, and it's being shipped from a residential address. Or would I have Mr. Delivery Man have me root through the attic looking for the reciept...?

PCPhoto wrote: »
    its pot luck really - I dont think some customs officers know what they are charging.
    Or they do and know well... A friend of mine was told he had to pay 140 quid to release a camera. It was one of them feicing Lomographic ones that cost about that itself. He wasn't impressed.

so costs could be just about anything?? OUCH!

It's a 5 dollar battery grip/pack for a Nikon n65/f65 that calumet wants to charge 50 euro for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

could one of your relatives in the US buy it as a christmas present and post it to you ?

considered just buying it and having it posted to Mom but having the double postage (this is not an extremely common item any more) from the shop to her and then to me counters the savings. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If it's $5 value then it should be OK as you will have the invoice for that value. IIRC items below a certain value are exempt.

CabanSail wrote: »
    If it's $5 value then it should be OK as you will have the invoice for that value. IIRC items below a certain value are exempt.

will they include the shipping as part of the cost of the item?

this is the Battery pack/grip I am talking about.

http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-MB-17-AA-Battery-Pack-Grip-for-the-N65-13978.cfm

I know it's a small thing but I really don't like the hassle of having to find the 8-9euro a pop batteries that the camera requires and not being able to get rechargeable batteries for the camera.

I went ahead and tried to order it, but it wouldn't let me. Why? Well I have only been in Ireland since November and that is not long enough for the bank to trust me (regardless of my credit history) with a credit card. So, I have to use my US card and it has (Surprise, a US address attached to it) and for any order other than the US or Canada the billing address has to be the same as the shipping address.
    So, with my head hung low, I ordered it to Mom's house and will have to wait. On the brightside, it only cost me 9.45 dollars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Right, hypothetical question. Say I were to bring my lighting kit to the US, and... well... I left it at my friends house over there. Sh*te, what an inconvenience! If it were posted back to me, would it be taxed again? Considering I bought it in Eire/UK, and it's being shipped from a residential address. Or would I have Mr. Delivery Man have me root through the attic looking for the reciept...?

No you would not be charged in this situation. The customs people are reasonable. They are not out to get people its more people who bring a lot of stuff.

The way it works is if your item gets stopped they put the Irish value on and charge you V.A.T at local rate, uty and a clearance/handling fee.

Judging what the O.P says it is I would say there will be no tax on this item. Could you pick it up from Calumet in Belfast?

LeoB wrote: »
    No you would not be charged in this situation. The customs people are reasonable. They are not out to get people its more people who bring a lot of stuff.

The way it works is if your item gets stopped they put the Irish value on and charge you V.A.T at local rate, uty and a clearance/handling fee.

Judging what the O.P says it is I would say there will be no tax on this item. Could you pick it up from Calumet in Belfast?

I could but they want 50 euro and I got sent to Mom's for under 10 USD.

I could but they want 50 euro and I got sent to Mom's for under 10 USD.

How would your mom feel about a shipment of lighting equipment coming through? :pac:

(joking!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

We had 9 Cameras being sent over to shoot the 10 Mile Race in Phoenix Park. They are Nikon D2H's. They were stopped by Customs who wanted the VAT paid on them before they would release them. The company in the US had to work that out & the the gear arrived just in time.

I take it they weren't new, but you say 'sent over' - Were they bought, or being sent over for the job and being sent back again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Btw - shipping cost in included in calculating whether an item is exempt or not from duty and VAT charges.

The exemption rate is 23 euro last time I checked (anything less than 23 euro is a "good of negligible value" and won't be liable for extra charges.

Hence many people using dealextreme ;) (goods cost around 1-10 dollars and delivery is free).

I have heard off-hand that customs are much more stringent on goods nowadays when the country is strapped for funds. To the OP; you could try looking around ebay (within the European Union) for the item you want, no charges there.

Advertisement