Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing out of renting a house

Options
  • 14-08-2009 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

Hi, i was looking advice on this.

Im about to rent a house with the other half. Im starting to worry about money and finances.

we have paid the deposit of €650, we will be paying the first month rent this week. we havent moved in yet.

If I choose to, can I change my mind and get the deposit back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Not if you've signed a lease - most definitely not and you will be obliged to pay the full rent for the lease duration.

Even if you didn't sign the lease the LL is also likely to keep your deposit because he has now wasted his time and will have to re-advertise the property.

Why didn't you look at the finances prior to paying a deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

We'd recently looked into a rental property as we'd hoped to close on our house sale.

Time to move into rental approached and house sale wasn't going anywhere so we informed the rental agency.

A month previous to this we'd given them a deposit cheque. We didn't sign a lease.

4 days after telling them we wouldn't take it they rang us to say the cheque wouldn't clear. They'd obviously tried to cash the cheque after we'd pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

We might be ok, on the other hand, we might not.

We are moving into this house, its a lovely house. the reason for this is, for the past 5/6 years she has lived in a council estate, ive moved in as a sort of secuity guard for the house. When i hear noise or whatever, im up... staring at the door, out the back garden with a flash light, plus there is a child involved, so this move is for peace of mind.
    And you cant really put a price on the safty of your family.

Advertisement