Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sackable offence??

Options
  • 14-08-2009 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

I am about to start legal proceedings against my employer.
    A number of months ago, I had some notes to do with my case in my handbag, which I bring into the office during work. At lunch or break times my handbag is always with me. Today at work I was looking for a folder on my collegues desk (Not looking in her drawers or that but on her desk) and within the shelves on her desk, I found a photocopy of a page of my case notes I had brought into work a few months ago. She went into my handbag months ago (when I had the notes in my handbag) took a copy of the page, and left the page back in my handbag, and kept a copy for herself which she left within the shelf on her desk, until I found it today.
    I took the photocopy with me. I am wondering can she be dismissed for intruding through my handbag, and taking a copy of private personal information?If anyone would know for sure if she can be fired over this, let me know I would appreciate it
    My solicitor is up to his eyes at the moment, and I won't be able to have a consoltation with him for about another month, and I don't want to bother him over this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

mmmm ..well I'm just wondering how can you prove that she actually took the notes out of your bag, or even that she photocopied them? At the end of the day, if someone had a grudge with a colleague whats to stop them making this kind of thing up? I'm not saying that is the case with you op, I'm just saying this is what you could be up against...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I suggest you contact Citizens Advice for their opinon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It is certainly a sackable offence but the difficulty is proof. You will have to complain to your boss. She will have to be asked if she was aware of the photocopy being on her desk and if she has any explanation if she was aware. If she insists she knows nothing about it, she may get the benefit of the doubt. If you are taking legal proceedings against your nemployer, you can be sure that the managementn's sympathies will not be with you.
    The better thing to do might be to put back the page with a few misleading changes and wrongfoot whoever tries to use it. You could also leave some misleading notes in your bag in her view. Leave the bag at you desk and say you are going away for a while. See if she opens your bag again. Try and get a recording of her doing it on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

moved from personal issues

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Posting two threads on same subject is bad form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement