Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number of applications

Options
  • 14-08-2009 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

What's the normal amount of applications people send off for a post-grad? I was thinking of applying to at least 6 places, to be on the safe side, but does that sound a bit much? I obviously have to ask people to send references to each place and I'm not sure if it will bug them if they have to send so many references.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Are they all the same course subject? Are they all in different universities?

In general, yeah, it's probably a bit much, especially if you have the marks to get into them, but there's nothing wrong afaik with applying to that many. I applied to three. I think. I can't remember, might have been four :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

It's the same subject, different universities.

I do have the grades from my masters, but my degree results will bring me down a bit cause they're pretty average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I aimed for 4 last year. One in another country and three in Ireland. Only ended up applying for two in Ireland. Got accepted to one in Ireland. From what I have heard between 4 and 6 is the norm i think

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mr.interested

Breaktown wrote: »
    What's the normal amount of applications people send off for a post-grad? I was thinking of applying to at least 6 places, to be on the safe side, but does that sound a bit much? I obviously have to ask people to send references to each place and I'm not sure if it will bug them if they have to send so many references.

Ah! I've applied for 14 (read: fourteen) postgraduate courses in four main universities in Dublin, each of which is an economics related. It gives me lot of options. I've got few offers and awaiting the others. After that I can decide which one is better.

So you don't have to send references, transcripts, etc. to all directors of all courses, you just send one copy to each university in which you apply for a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I just applied for the one I wanted, didn't actually occur to me to apply for more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

Ah! I've applied for 14 (read: fourteen) postgraduate courses in four main universities in Dublin, each of which is an economics related.

Ok that makes me feel a lot better!
    bigkev49 wrote: »
    I just applied for the one I wanted, didn't actually occur to me to apply for more.

Well there's definetly one that's top of the list, but I don't really have a good record with getting my first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Applied for one and got it.

Advertisement