Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning lead guitar by yourself

• 14-08-2009 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭

So I'm relatively new to guitar playing, started less just under 2 years ago. Have taught myself rhythm and some fingerstyle stuff, I'm interested in being able to play with other people now.The kind of stuff I've been learning recently is the notes in different keys and what all the notes on the fretboard are etc,

But I'd really like to be able to play lead and be able to improvise over someone else playing rhythm. Has anyone here learned lead guitar by themselves and how did you find it? Can anyone recommend some online resources? Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

Hi there, I've learned lead by myself through trial and error but It wasn't untill I studied music/guitar theory that I really took off. It's easier then you think to be able to improvise over music.

Is there any particular style you are interested in? If it's just blues solo's you want to be able to improvise then that can be quite easy to learn as It doesn't require much in the way of jazz/neoclassical elements. If you want to learn to shred like Vai or satch then it's a whole different ball game.

Essentially the big picture looks like this:

You have to learn your major/Ionian mode/scale and the Minor/Aeolian mode/scale and understand relative minors, harmonic minors, etc how chords are constructed from the major/minor scale or in other styles like jazz also from modes. Also and often overlooked read up on the rest of the modes the Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian and Locrian modes. Figure out how they all work off the same templates, the major scale aka the Ionian mode. Learn how to count in scales, understanding what a root, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th , 6th and 7th means. And understanding how these are relative to they key your playing in, and that their attributes are relative ie; being diminished, augmented, added, etc. There is no point learning variant and simplified scales like the pentatonic blues or the diminished untill you understand the backbone of this, the major scale in full. You can just learn the pentatonic but you will be lacking certain elements which are the key to understanding your fretboard.

There is also solo techniques such as bends, slides, legato, tapping, palm muting, Arpeggios, double stops, pinch harmonics, natural harmonics, tremelo, sweep picking, alternative picking and economy picking etc. The tecniques are very simple to pick up but can take years to become proficient particularly in legato, tapping and arpeggios and also in advanced picking like economy picking. If you choose not to use a plectrum then there is a different set of techniques available to achieve fast picking, for instance a Mark knopfler style approach.

It sound like a load of jargon but its well worth looking into. I would highly recommend lessons from a tutor, if you PM me I can help point you in the right direction as it's just something which is allot easier to learn if someone shows you. I know a teacher who has an excellent formula for teaching theory practically and is quite cheap. A good teacher would bypass years of fumbling in the dark and picking up bad habits, a good teacher can set you up in a matter of months with all the theory and techniques you need to progress alone and without any bad habits, which is the biggest downfall of self taught players.

Either way wether you choose to go it alone or get a tutor it's all about enjoyment, it's great that you want to learn to solo so be sure to have fun learning! It's a great journey and the rewards are worth the effort.

Advertisement