Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever moved abroad after doing a B.Comm here?

Options
  • 14-08-2009 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

I hope it's ok to post this here but has anyone ever been able to emigrate after doing a BComm. here first? Where did you go & what did you do, I'd like to hear?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Have you any work experience or have you finished college.

In my experience it's a bad idea to move abroad with no work experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

I was actually thinking of going back to College to do a BComm and then maybe a postgrad in something. Would you be able to leave with that?

Sorry, but is noone answering this because it's so hard to do or are you just ignoring it? I'm just curious is there no-one who has done it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Sorry, but is noone answering this because it's so hard to do or are you just ignoring it? I'm just curious is there no-one who has done it?

I wouldn't imagine people are ignoring you. Why would they do that? I'd say they do not have the experience to answer you. You haven't give us much information to go on.

As I said above in my post, in my experience it is not a good idea to get a qualification and then move abroad, regardless of whether it is postgrad or not, unless you move abroad to join a graduate programme or have a job before you go.

Getting qualifications is a wonderful thing to do but work experience is important too, having a degree does not guarantee you a good job. I would imagine it would be very hard to get a degree, leave the country and then get a job in what you want. I could be wrong though., I'm only going on my experience that (and this also depends on the visa you are on) you can often take a step back career-wise for a bit when you settle in a new country,

Are you working at the moment or have you just finished school? Where are you thinking of moving too? It's worth keeping in mind that many places will require you to have a visa and these can be hard to get without work experience in a skills shortage area.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

I hope it's ok to post this here but has anyone ever been able to emigrate after doing a BComm. here first? Where did you go & what did you do, I'd like to hear?

I completed my BComm in May and moved to Canada two weeks later. Ive only started looking for work related to my degree in the last 3 weeks but I havnt had much luck yet. The economy hasnt been great here though and things are expected to pick up from September onwards and I expect to be working full time in a decent job by the end of September.

P.S. I think I could have easily secured a job by now in Toronto but im moving to a smaller city where there isnt quite as much work available and that is why it might take a little longer.
    That being said some work experience would definately help but the way things were at home it was looking unlikely that I would get any in my field.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Anyone else?

Advertisement