Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'd like a non-digital camera

• 14-08-2009 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Do this still get sold in shops? I'm looking for one for under €250.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It sure does. Or keep an eye on www.adverts.ie if you want to buy one second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

What kind of non digital camera? I assume you mean an SLR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

If you buy 2nd hand your going to get a really decent film camera for that price...

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Fajitas! wrote: »
    It sure does. Or keep an eye on www.adverts.ie if you want to buy one second hand.
    dazftw wrote: »
    If you buy 2nd hand your going to get a really decent film camera for that price...

DITTO. ^^^^

There are several SLRs for save currently on adverts (where you will get a better price) and most of the decent shops about town have used film SLRs (where you will pay more) in stock.
    I know conn's ans berminghams have a few and I would bet that Gunnes does too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

Mahers Chemist in Drogheda has some canon ones in too.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I have an Olympus Dynax Slr complete with standard and telephoto lens. Camera is in perfect condition. I have changed to digital and camera is surplus to requirements. <snip>

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'd recommend starting with a point and shoot or a rangefinder. These will teach you a lot about exposure on the film and framing of your subject.
    Starting with a SLR you could end up chasing your tail around trying to find the one that suits you best or has more gimmickry and each time it really is just a step to the side rather than up in regards to progression.

Pick up a lovely Olympus Trip or a Canonet rangefinder and you'll still use them when even when you do progress to a SLR, whereas if you go from one SLR to another the first one will not be used again.
    A 35mm P+S or Rangefinder will help you cut back on wastage as it'll educate you in being more careful in your approach to subject matter and what settings you're using. Each snap costs, not a lot per frame but this unit price is multiplied by 36 each time you visit your developer.

With such great deals in belting little cameras going on it really would be a shame to start off in using film in the wrong way.
    I'd say spend up to 50 all in for a quality classic rangefinder, allocate 75 quid for film and process. Still like film? Then use your other 125 wisely on a quality classic SLR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

"non-digital camera" :D - film is really dead ;)

But for 250 euro I'd guess you can get a very good film camera. I got a Nikon FE (real old but fantastic construction and can operate without batteries too...) for around 50 euro on ebay (in the US). Lenses are cheap as chips too (35 euro for a lens from Italy).

The actual film and developing cost is what's going to kill you ;) - shoot and develop 20 rolls of film and you could have bought a dSLR and shoot 100,000s of photos for "free" ;)

Though knowing every shot "costs" you around 50 cent does focus your mind on making sure you think before you press the shutter release.

Thirdfox wrote: »

Though knowing every shot "costs" you around 50 cent does focus your mind on making sure you think before you press the shutter release.

Or 8c per pic is possible. Which makes it far more accessable for everybody.

Is that from self developing? Or developing 20 rolls at once?

• Advertisement

It's based on using free Fuji film iso is200 and having 5rolls developed at once and images put onto one CD. 5 rolls for 15 quid. So for 20 rolls it would cost 60 quid but the single exp. price would be the same: 8cents.
    So with free film and this shop it is possible to have an expensive looking and feeling hobby but at very do-able prices.

Though where does one find free film? What shop puts it on a CD? and what is the scanned size 10mp? 20mp?

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Though where does one find free film? What shop puts it on a CD? and what is the scanned size 10mp? 20mp?

Any Unicare nationwide for free film.
    John the Fuji man in Unicare in Artane Castle in Dublin 5.
    And I don't know the answer to the last question. I was to find out but when I went to ask I realised I didn't understand my question so didn't trouble the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

humberklog wrote: »
    I'd recommend starting with a point and shoot or a rangefinder. These will teach you a lot about exposure on the film and framing of your subject.
    Starting with a SLR you could end up chasing your tail around trying to find the one that suits you best or has more gimmickry and each time it really is just a step to the side rather than up in regards to progression.

Pick up a lovely Olympus Trip or a Canonet rangefinder and you'll still use them when even when you do progress to a SLR, whereas if you go from one SLR to another the first one will not be used again.
    A 35mm P+S or Rangefinder will help you cut back on wastage as it'll educate you in being more careful in your approach to subject matter and what settings you're using. Each snap costs, not a lot per frame but this unit price is multiplied by 36 each time you visit your developer.

With such great deals in belting little cameras going on it really would be a shame to start off in using film in the wrong way.
    I'd say spend up to 50 all in for a quality classic rangefinder, allocate 75 quid for film and process. Still like film? Then use your other 125 wisely on a quality classic SLR.

Humberklog is right about taking the cost of film and development into account. Building the running costs into your budget is essential. However, if your initial outlay extends to less than 250 euro for the camera alone, a Pentax system might just suit. I have the basic Pentax MZ 50 with a 28-80 lens as listed here:

http://www.connscameras.com/flat_areaEQLproductsAMPCategoryIDEQL168_entry.html

(Just under 100 euro for camera body and lens.)

We have our camera for about fifteen years and it is very pleasant to use.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anouilh/3440623771/

Admittedly, I spent about 200 euro on a nice zoom lens (http://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraLenses/233172/pentax-smc-pfa-j-75300mm-f4558-al-telephoto-zoom-lens.aspx) a few years ago, but the hours of pleasure this camera has given would be hard to beat.

The idea of starting with point and shoot is sensible, as a lot of study was needed to get the best out of the SLR. However, all the work was not lost, as it made a transition to digital much easier.

Best of luck with your choice.

Advertisement