Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st time camping what do I need?

Options
  • 14-08-2009 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Going camping next week with partner and two kids under the age of 5 going to Galway as we are catching up with family down there.

We have a 10 man tent probably too big but thats all we have at the moment, have 2 airbeds, sleeping bags and lights what other absolute essentials do you recommend.

Also we'll be pitching in a campsite can anyone recommend any of the sites in Galway/Salthill areas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

forget the sleeping bags for the kids - try bringing their own duvet and pillows - keep it familiar if they have not been camping before.
    Wetwipes - lots of!
    small torches for the kids - they don't get a worried by the dark if they have their own lights, and don't forget the longer they stay awake playing with them, the more likely you are to get a lie in past dawn.

From my experience a 10 man tent sounds about right for 2 under fives!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

bring pillowcases - stuff their clothing in to make pillows.
    bring a gas stove. to cook simple meals on.

bring lots of food - stuff that takes a while to prepare will kill time. like cuppa soup; hot chocolate and marshmallows; pancake batter premixed; cooked spuds to fry; etc.
    ready to eat food will just be eaten immediately, but something that needs a bit of waiting/preperation will get the children more involved and they shouldn't mind the time passing too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Seeing as you're probably camping near your car with a tent that size, I'd suggest folding chairs and camp table. I'd also suggest a sleep mask. Works wonders if you don't want to wake up at a sparrow's f@rt.
    I sometimes wear ear plugs, but probably not a good idea with young children to listen out for.
    Bring a bundle of paracord or stout twine. Bring spare tent pegs. Bring a mallet for putting down pegs. Bring a small first aid kit. Bring toilet paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

if you're going out to buy torches get the led ones. I know they were selling them in the texaco just before Enniskerry for €10 (with batteries and pouch) but I am sure they are readily available. They seem to last forever and there is nothing worse than no light at night. +1 to the wetwipes! I always bring a foam gardeners kneeling pad (I walk not drive, it's very light in weight) because it has so many uses (seat/chopping board/fan for starting fire etc) INSECT REPELLANT + SUN SCREEN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 smblott

Don't forget a bucket or something similar that can be used to avoid a trip to the toilet block in the middle of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Don't forget a few relaxation beers for when the kids (finally) go to bed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Upsy_Daisy

Cheers everyone not sure what we've let ourselves in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

How'd it go so???

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Upsy_Daisy

A holiday after it:D

The weather couldn't have been any worse woke up in 3 inches of water on the 2nd morning so that put an end to that, but the kids had a great time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mckildare

Ah the joys of camping :D Lesson learned, dont go to the west, ever :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Upsy_Daisy wrote: »

A holiday after it:D

The weather couldn't have been any worse woke up in 3 inches of water on the 2nd morning so that put an end to that, but the kids had a great time.

WIll you try it again? Camping gets better everytime you do it!

Advertisement