Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extending GAELTACHT Boundaries

• 14-08-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Have any gaeltacht areas been extedned over the past few years or are going to be extended in the near future?
    Are there any areas borderng a gaeltacht which have been activley seeking to be included within the boundaries?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

belfast, should be but considerding the politics i doubt it

if anything the boundries should be contracted and in some places drasticaly so

erris in mayo is one blindingly obvious example and dingle is another controversial but imperative one tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Cjoe

belfast, should be but considerding the politics i doubt it

if anything the boundries should be contracted and in some places drasticaly so

erris in mayo is one blindingly obvious example and dingle is another controversial but imperative one tbh

I have read belfast has a decent irish speaking area, but I thought it was more a social (as in irish speaking pubs and cafes) thing rather than using it every day with family and at home? It would be great though if they had one in the north. Seeing as there is no irish language act there.

And why erris? Im guessing the irish has become diluted and alot of english spoken. Any reason? It wouldnt have something to do with the crap planning in this country and the building and selling of copious amounts of houses in the past 10 years to people outside of the gaeltachts?
    I have been to dingle and i would conider an rinne (I live 10 miles from there) to be a stronger gaeltacht. You hear it more on a local level alot more. I suppose its hard when you have so many tourists arriving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

there is little or no irish in erris

rinn is small - but otherwise ye a lot stronger than dingle

Advertisement