Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sansa Clip 8GB - 49.99 - Xtra-vision - Baggot St. - D2

Options
  • 14-08-2009 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

I couldn't get the Sansa Clip locally, I went into Dublin to pay off bills and had a look around. I found it in the Xtra-vision on Baggot Street, Dublin 2.

Asked at the counter, expected the listed price, 59 euro 95 cent.. and was told to pay 49 euro 99 cent. I challenged this and the salesperson said it was listed at 49.99 and that prices, 'go up and down'..

Not too shabby, the display is great and you can record off the FM radio in a lossless format, stereo .wav, instead of being stuck with .mp3 or .wma.

Graphic equaliser and bass that puts the Apple to shame. Support for lossless formats like .flac and .ogg. Support for Audible and .mp3. Support for DRM .wma. and regular .wma. Support for .aac. Does not support Apple's .m4a format officially, but a Rockbox firmware might support it in the near future... (a hack, basically..)

Display is multi colour OLED and very very bright, there's a dedicated volume rocker switch on the right and a power/lock/off slider on the left. Main UI has a touch wheel and one home button.

You can just 'dump' music on the device without any software, if you wish. The Sansa clip will recognise ID tags up to version 2.3 but WILL NOT recognise 2.4 version ID tags.

Charged and music loaded by a (supplied) standard USB lead.

Unit is black with discreet blue illumination around the touch wheel.

----

Not sure if the price is branch specific or the whole Xtra-vision chain. That's why I didn't put it in Bargain Alerts.

Sansa Clip - 8GB

Xtra-vision - Baggot Street - Dublin

---

Replaces two iPod Shuffles that I've had for years, that don't want to play nice with recent versions of iTunes, mysterious code errors with no solutions...

---

Always a good idea to linger around an official product forum..

SanDisk Sansa Clip forum:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board?board.id=clip

Sansa Clip V iPod Shuffle:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2008/02/sandisk-sansa-clip-vs-ipod-shuffle.php

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

SanDisk are an odd bunch, the player supports more formats than are listed. The Sansa Clip supports 48kHz high bitrate, 320kbps .wma, without any issues.

Under Ubuntu and Mint Linux, the player mounts as a Media Device and audio can be placed in the Audio folder manually, or.. Rhythmbox performs much like iTunes, albums, single tracks and playlists can be created and dragged to the device within the application. If Rhythmbox is used, it will 'nest' the audio files, Artist\Album\Tracks. Any files like graphic files or data are parsed by the player, only audio files will be transferred. Audio on the player, if not DRM, is visible in the Audio folder, at the root of the Sansa Clip, this audio can be transferred or transported to another PC or Laptop without any issues.

The Player's firmware can be updated within Mac or Linux, which I have done, it just involves placing the firmware update file at the root of the player and rebooting while charging.

---

I haven't had any issues with .flac audio, like some people have reported, I have the highest compression on the files, level 8.

I bought this mainly for its size and .flac support.

Out of the box, I needed to update the firmware to get .flac playback.

Advertisement