Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervisor on a power trip

Options
  • 14-08-2009 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I normally work 9 hours a day. I get a 30 minute unpaid break and a 15 minute break. And if we do anything more than 2 hours, we get another 15 minute break.

They let us off during the week and they expected us to make up the hours which is fair enough. So i did 11 hours today. Whenever we work over 2 hours, the supervisor tells us what time our extra break is.

So today i asked him what time my extra break was at. So he told me i wasn't entitled to a break but that he was going to give me one anyway for 10minutes.
    If i wasn't entitled to a break, it wasn't his place to give me one. And i didn't want to be sitting in the canteen, only to be caught by the boss. I didn't know what to do, so i didn't take it.

It wasn't until later on,someone told me that other people that were making up hours, were given a break for 15 minutes by a different supervisor.

This wasn't fair. Did he think he was doing me a favour by giving me a 10 minute break which i wasn't supposedly be entitled to?

So can someone clear it up for me? What are my entitlements? Was i actually entitled to an extra break? If i was, i didn't take it, i lost out but i shouldn't let him away with it, should i? Should i mention it to the management on monday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

For 11 hours you would usually get 1hour unpaid lunch break and 2 X 15 min breaks. The hour lunch break could be unpaid so you would get paid for 10 hours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

30 min lunch break not 1h iirc and if that is your definition of a power trip then you will be shocked in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Its not really my definition of a power trip but the supervisor likes to let people know whos boss. But to tell me im not entitled to a break when i was, was a bit to much. And then to tell me i can go out anyway for 10 minutes. It was only on his terms. What was i to do? Take a break in which i wasn't entitled to and be caught by the boss?
    It wasn't really very fair. Do i complain about this? I really dont know what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

He may not be on a power trip, it's possible he just made a mistake.

Why didn't you just say "I worked 11 hours so I am entitled to it, and everyone else is getting a break".

That would have cleared it up on the spot instead of doing nothing and assuming your boss is being evil to you! :)

Just talk to him about it.

Advertisement