Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT and Import Duty

Options
  • 14-08-2009 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi

not sure is theres a section for this question, so thought i'd post here

What rate of import Duty and VAT will i have to pay on a large consignment of clothes i am getting in from China? How do they calculate it?

Thanks
    Fabio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

You first need to find the Tarrif code that matches exactly the items you are importing.

Check for your Taric code and the get your Import_Rate_Here-
    Type in your Code or Description of the item and the Country of Origin
    This will provide you with your import rate.

I don't work with imports any more but found this very useful for calculating the import duties in the past few years I did.....

Word of advice, choose the correct rate that belongs to the correct taric group, don't try to be sly and select a rate because its lower duty charge ;)

Hope this helps...

Edit: As far as I can remember Customs and Excise (and your importer) will charge you the % duty on the total value of the invoice that is attached to your consignment
    (You maybe also be aware - depending on who is importing the goods for you, you will have administration/processing charges with
    the local shipping company)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

Pablod wrote: »
    You first need to find the Tarrif code that matches exactly the items you are importing.

Check for your Taric code and the get your Import_Rate_Here-
    Type in your Code or Description of the item and the Country of Origin
    This will provide you with your import rate.

I don't work with imports any more but found this very useful for calculating the import duties in the past few years I did.....

Word of advice, choose the correct rate that belongs to the correct taric group, don't try to be sly and select a rate because its lower duty charge ;)

Hope this helps...

Edit: As far as I can remember Customs and Excise (and your importer) will charge you the % duty on the total value of the invoice that is attached to your consignment
    (You maybe also be aware - depending on who is importing the goods for you, you will have administration/processing charges with
    the local shipping company)

thanks for the info, really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hello Turbo,

I am a freight forwarder and can assist you with your questions.

The import duty rate on clothing is 12%, the rate of VAT is 21.5%

The duty is calculated over the CIF value of the goods (Cost, Insurance, Freight). The
    VAT is calculated over the CIF Value plus the Duty.

If you send me a PM and advise an e-mail address I can e-mail you a document that
    will give you some information on how to go about importing goods.

Best regards,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BlueM

Hello, Don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question.. I am trying to start up small business at home. I am buying some children's cloths from China and then trying to sell them online. Just wondering how the Import Duty and VAT will work when doing this. I have been trying to source info online and am getting confused. Are children's cloth's VAT rate 0% does this mean I will only have to pay the import duty on items. Any advise would really help me.. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

• Advertisement
Advertisement