Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom hogan liquidation auction

• 14-08-2009 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭

Anyone going to this auction tomorrow.I'd be interested to know how much the 2008 landcruiser amazon fetches.I see theyre listed at €140,000 new,will it be a cheap 4x4 for someone.:rolleyes::cool:
    The €2100 a year tax would be a killer though:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'm there, - what lot no is it ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

Lot 30.
    Also check lot 28 mercedes ml 280 jeep.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Lot 30 - 65k
    Lot 28 - 28k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Wheres it on lads any links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Anyone know what the 964 went for? (Lot 20)

rocky wrote: »

:eek:

A steal!

Lot 30 - 65k
    Lot 28 - 28k

Cheap jeep at €65k,new one listing at €140k.Big depreciation that:eek::confused:

Is the engine the only difference between the V8 140k one and the 3.0 D4D passenger starting from 61k ? And 2 extra seats...

• Advertisement

The 3.0 d4d is the normal landcruiser,The amazon is a bigger jeep bodywise and enginewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Is the engine the only difference between the V8 140k one and the 3.0 D4D passenger starting from 61k ? And 2 extra seats...
    No, it's a different beast altogether. I went to bid on the Amazon hoping there'd be no interest, but it went well above what I was set as a budget.

The RX400h went for €20k and the RX300 for €17k. The 04 XTrail was about the only bargain at €7.5k

The small stuff went for mad money. There's dealers out there that'd bite the hand off you if you offered some of the prices paid there today for auld crap. €1750 for a 00 Corsa, €2750 for a 99 Yaris.

The uncle was there with 8 other Toyota dealer principals, not one of them bought anything. They'd be glad to be GETTING the prices people were paying for stuff.

A lot of people got carried away with the idea of an auction methinks.

I left after lot 35 went. There must be a phase 2 of this liquidation as 67 vehicles couldn't possibly be the remains of 4 main dealer forecourts.

Was there many bidders on the amazon ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭MAYOMICK

Looked at both Yaris's yesterday They were rough enough with high mileage.Good tyres though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

ninty9er wrote: »
    The small stuff went for mad money. There's dealers out there that'd bite the hand off you if you offered some of the prices paid there today for auld crap. €1750 for a 00 Corsa, €2750 for a 99 Yaris.

The uncle was there with 8 other Toyota dealer principals, not one of them bought anything. They'd be glad to be GETTING the prices people were paying for stuff.

I left after lot 35 went. There must be a phase 2 of this liquidation as 67 vehicles couldn't possibly be the remains of 4 main dealer forecourts.

When Hogans closed, nearly all the cars had stickers put on them saying 'property of Bank of Ireland finance'. All these would have been removed so I suppose this auction is only the other stuff that was left. All the newer stuff must have been BOI finance owned.
    Its seems to be a trend now with so many private buyers at auction that cars are going much closer to retail price than ever before. All this crap about cars gong for 50% of the true value is bullsh1t. Fair enough, something very expensive will take a big hit but anything mainstream will make its money still. Stuff still within manufacturer warranty was making about 95% retail at merlin last time I was there.... Too much really considering after all it is an auction with all associated risks

manta356 wrote: »
    Was there many bidders on the amazon ?
    6 or 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

nintey9er,

What year were the RX's?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ikillcopiers

ronnie3585 wrote: »

A steal!

A couple of us called in this morning to have a look at that
    964, and I can assure you, whoever bought that is in for trouble!

Asides from the fact that it's not the original colour,
    (paint code on the chassis says it should be blue whereas it's been
    resprayed slate grey, decent job mind you)
    the engine is going to need to be rebuilt very soon.

It's an '89, and they are known to leak.
    Guy I was with knows these cars inside and out, he pulled out the dipstick
    and it was way too low (yes, I know aircooled are normally checked
    running, it should be at a certain level whilst cool none the less).
    Oil was span new, which is suspect enough, so our bud stuck his
    hand in underneath for all feel and the whole undertray/sump guard was
    covered in oil.
    Reason the oil was changed was so when the car moved it didn't leave
    a big black mark on the forecourt to show its sins!

The guy who bought it *might* get lucky with a top end rebuild,
    but he paid waaaay over the odds.
    A minter 964 up north would go for 16k sterling.

Fella I was with got a full engine rebuild on one of his cars,
    cost him 6k sterling, and that was him helping the guy at it.

Most of the stuff in that auction was the crap that the other dealers knew
    they wouldn't be able to shift!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Anyone know the prices for

Lot 17 : Audi A4 Convertible ? and Lot 19 : Lexus IS220D ?

• Advertisement

Anyone know the prices for

Lot 17 : Audi A4 Convertible ? and Lot 19 : Lexus IS220D ?

If my memory serves, the audi went for 17.5k and the lexus 20k

ronnie3585 wrote: »

A steal!

...are you nuts ? - that was nuts money. I looked at the car in depth on Friday, and my ceiling for it - based on having owned a 911 before - was 8.5k. And that at a push.
    Remember, no history, no handbook, colour changed, no spare key, no spare alarm fob, mix'n'match cheap tyres, oil leaks, water on the floor of the boot - and I don't mean condensation - I mean a pond. A good one, with all of the above (bar the water!) would only cost you 14k.

Pure mental.

If you think 16k for that was a steal, you must think my 968's are free ! (and they're a nicer car to drive, too.......). I'll even give you a choice of manual or Tiptronic ! ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

....all of which makes you wonder.........

First of all, there's no shortage of customers, buyers.
    Secondly, a large bunch of them have cash.
    Thirdly - and this is the confusing bit - how come the dealers can't get these people to buy the same stuff at, hilariously, lower prices, off their forecourt ?
    Fourthly - theres a market for absolutely everything. From overpriced learner tat, to crazy annual-tax V8 SUV's, and everything else in between. But how in the hell to find them when you want them ???

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

galwaytt wrote: »

Thirdly - and this is the confusing bit - how come the dealers can't get these people to buy the same stuff at, hilariously, lower prices, off their forecourt ?
    Fourthly - theres a market for absolutely everything. From overpriced learner tat, to crazy annual-tax V8 SUV's, and everything else in between. But how in the hell to find them when you want them ???

Gotta agree with that. Those prices fetched at auction that were posted here were strong, very strong. 65k for the Toyota landcruiser is unbelievable money :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ikillcopiers

I reckon it's fella's out at those auctions that don't have a notion
    what those cars are actually worth.

They're out there, talking crap and when the bidding starts they can't
    stop themselves, like gambling!

They'd have no notion of buying something like that from a dealer,
    they go in, bid on it at a low price and then "they have to have it".

Maybe you should ask one of the guys in Hogans nicely and get
    him to throw in one of your 968's at the next auction (do set a reserve of course!).

You might get lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Have an auction!

Yeah, all dealers should have auctions.

Wasn't there an extra 7.5% on the hammer price? so the V8 landcruiser would be almost 70k cash...

There were between 1500-2000 people there. I turned to one guy and said "If they had a crowd like this paying these prices 6 months ago they wouldn't be closed now"

manta356 wrote: »
    Anyone going to this auction tomorrow.I'd be interested to know how much the 2008 landcruiser amazon fetches.I see theyre listed at €140,000 new,will it be a cheap 4x4 for someone.:rolleyes::cool:
    The €2100 a year tax would be a killer though:eek:
    Tax is €1566, it was registered last February 12 months.

I do get a sneaking suspicion that "the lady in pink" that bought the ML may have been Frank Hogan's wife. I thought I saw them arriving, but I can't be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

horses for courses galway tt re whats a better drive...if those 968 whips were so good they'd be gone yonks ago. Like the 964 being a glorified vw unfort the 968's are keepers....sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

There were between 1500-2000 people there. I turned to one guy and said "If they had a crowd like this paying these prices 6 months ago they wouldn't be closed now"

Oh yes they would.

they would sell a lot of toyotas to make up the loss on the €18 million site they bought, now worth about €3 million max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Very simple - the general public do not trust car dealers after all the sh*te service & shady treatment many got from them over the "tiger" years for their over-priced cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I do get a sneaking suspicion that "the lady in pink" that bought the ML may have been Frank Hogan's wife. I thought I saw them arriving, but I can't be sure.

Why not buy one from her husband at cost? :confused:

Is it because she knows he is a d*ckhead to deal with? :D (as dealerships go)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Why pay cost price when you can pay liquidation price instead ;)

.....Maybe you should ask one of the guys in Hogans nicely and get
    him to throw in one of your 968's at the next auction
    ...when the SO heard what the 964 got yesterday, that's what she said - would have been a good idea !! :p

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

snowman707 wrote: »
    Oh yes they would.

they would sell a lot of toyotas to make up the loss on the €18 million site they bought, now worth about €3 million max.

Indeed - it's not the car business that sank them. The car business was leveraged against a whole bunch other stuff.

On the upside, the lads from eauctions had a great day yesterday ! It's an ill wind doens't blow someone some good, as they say.........!

....I wonder.........any lots unsold from yesterday ?

Ode To The Motorist

...are you nuts ? - that was nuts money. I looked at the car in depth on Friday, and my ceiling for it - based on having owned a 911 before - was 8.5k. And that at a push.
    Remember, no history, no handbook, colour changed, no spare key, no spare alarm fob, mix'n'match cheap tyres, oil leaks, water on the floor of the boot - and I don't mean condensation - I mean a pond. A good one, with all of the above (bar the water!) would only cost you 14k.

Pure mental.

If you think 16k for that was a steal, you must think my 968's are free ! (and they're a nicer car to drive, too.......). I'll even give you a choice of manual or Tiptronic ! ;)

Didn't realise it was so ropey, didn't get a chance to look at it but was led to believe it was straight - obviously not!

snowman707 wrote: »
    Oh yes they would.

That loss doesn't exist. Why do people not understand the difference between a contingent liability and an actual one:rolleyes:
    Berty wrote: »
    Why not buy one from her husband at cost? :confused:
    I was more thinking it may appear on his forecourt on Tuesday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Any idea what Lot 20 went for?

All figures in Euro
    Lot number
    1. 2750
    2. 2750
    3. 2300
    4. 2250
    5. 2750 (heap of complete ****)
    6. 1750
    7. 3750
    8. 4000
    9. 4500
    10. 5000
    11. 3400 (good luck to that buyer)
    12. 4250
    13. 1750:rolleyes:
    14. 4000
    15. 5750 (not bad condition for a 307 really)
    16. 11500
    17. 17500
    18. 16000
    19. 20000
    20. 16000
    21. 11000 (wear on the door suggested more than 58k kms though)
    22. 10000
    23. 11750+VAT
    24. 7500
    25. 17500+VAT
    26. 17000
    27. 6000
    28. 28000
    29. 20000
    30. 65000
    31. 9000
    32. 7000
    33. 8750
    I left after that.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Gotta agree with that. Those prices fetched at auction that were posted here were strong, very strong. 65k for the Toyota landcruiser is unbelievable money :eek:

Unbelievably cheap. Carroll and Kinsella have one on their forecourt listing €99k and after speaking to the salesman, I can believe they're taking a hefty loss on it at that. It's never left the forecourt for anything other than a test drive.:eek:

McCoy's have one for €79k, but one can only assume they traded it if they can afford to let it go for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

TBH the prices i seen there yesterday were crazy, most of the cars had seen body work at some point in there life that is 220d got the whole side painted.

The reason why dealers arent selling cars like the ones there is because the car that were there in all honesty were not retail cars bar maybee 10-15 of the 70.

No dealer who takes his job seriously would sell the cars that were on show there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rocket1

Did anyone see what Lot 44 Peugeot 407 made,

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

TBH the prices i seen there yesterday were crazy, most of the cars had seen body work at some point in there life that is 220d got the whole side painted.

The reason why dealers arent selling cars like the ones there is because the car that were there in all honesty were not retail cars bar maybee 10-15 of the 70.

No dealer who takes his job seriously would sell the cars that were on show there.

I know the buyer of that, he's picking it up tomorrow afaik. Was 20k a good deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

All figures in Euro
    Lot number
    [17]17500
    I left after that.

This was the Audi A4 Convertible (and the most basic model at that).. Bloodly hell, where are these buyers ???

http://www.eauctions.ie/pages/gocart/audi-a4-convertible-1.8-litre-petrol821.php?p=15

I've been looking to sell a BMW convertible for almost 6 months with a cheaper price tag and having no luck. Anyone know where these buyers are based (and how to get there attention :p)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

16k for Lot 20 is a bit steep to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Unbelievably cheap. Carroll and Kinsella have one on their forecourt listing €99k and after speaking to the salesman, I can believe they're taking a hefty loss on it at that. It's never left the forecourt for anything other than a test drive.:eek:

McCoy's have one for €79k, but one can only assume they traded it if they can afford to let it go for that price.

It's dealers that still use that old system of "how much it stands them" that are going down. The sooner they adopt a more realistic system of "how much they will be able to sell it for in the real world" the better chance they have of survival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 RMM555

No, it's a different beast altogether. I went to bid on the Amazon hoping there'd be no interest, but it went well above what I was set as a budget.

The RX400h went for €20k and the RX300 for €17k. The 04 XTrail was about the only bargain at €7.5k

As a matter of interest how much would you have gone to on the amazon???

RMM555 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest how much would you have gone to on the amazon???

€32k. I know that's ridiculously low, but nobody from the trade would have touched it with a bargepole.

unkel wrote: »
    It's dealers that still use that old system of "how much it stands them" that are going down. The sooner they adopt a more realistic system of "how much they will be able to sell it for in the real world" the better chance they have of survival.
    If you're a high end dealer, there's only so much "what can I get for it" you can do before you've eaten €500k into your reserves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement