Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musical tastes/preferences

Options
  • 14-08-2009 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm just wondering what are people's general tastes in music. No-one I know seems to have the same taste as me, even though I thought I had pretty generic tastes in bands.

I'm just hoping for people to post some of their favourite bands. and maybe what music genres they hate.

For me it's: Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Prince, Michael Jackson, The Rolling Stones, some U2, The Clash

I also like some 80's hits, some current pop hits, and hip-hop.

I hate rap and clubland: it's just noise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Prince, Michael Jackson, The Rolling Stones, some U2, The Clash

You like popular music, most people do. All those bands are either very old or well accepted as "good" music. You mention any of those bands to a person, who has any interest in music, and they will say they're a good band, even if they don't think that personally. Safe choices and nothing too outside the box.

I don't really know about your friends but I imagine they don't listen to music that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I just like everything. Why define yourself to only liking some genres and hating all of another?

And who cares if it's popular or underground, legitimate or computerized talent, sound lads or douchebags. Music is music is music is music. A song is a song is a song is a song.

If it sounds good, listen to it, who cares what it's defined by or what genre it is or how it's made or who sings it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

liah wrote: »
    I just like everything. Why define yourself to only liking some genres and hating all of another?

And who cares if it's popular or underground, legitimate or computerized talent, sound lads or douchebags. Music is music is music is music. A song is a song is a song is a song.

If it sounds good, listen to it, who cares what it's defined by or what genre it is or how it's made or who sings it.

+ 100 !!

People spend too much time pigeon-holing music into categories. This is generally encouraged by the music industry, who could not care less about music itself, just the money they can make from it. If you like a piece of music, then it's good. I like most music. I dont "hate" any, just that some music does not do anything for me. In turn this may be someone's favourite. This is how it should be IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

Rigsby wrote: »
    + 100 !!

I dont "hate" any, just that some music does not do anything for me. In turn this may be someone's favourite. This is how it should be IMO.

Exactly! When i say i hate music, i mean i just can't listen to it. I don't actually wish that the music didn't exist.

I just could't listen to tap or clubland, but i do know people who like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

7Steve wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what are people's general tastes in music.

Here's a question. What are your tastes?

I mean, you've told us what music you listen to, but not why you like it, what it is about those bands and artists that appeal to you. I think someone's taste in music is something other than the music they listen to, if you know what I mean, it's why that music strikes a chord with them. Someone could listen to the exact same bands as someone else, yet they might have completely different tastes, as those bands appeal to to each person in different ways, so one might latch onto the music because of certain elements, be it the lyrics, vocals, instrumentation or many other elements, maybe that's what they like to dance to.

Maybe it's just me, but I see people say "my taste in music is..." and then name-drop bands, I think that doesn't really describe their taste in music at all. You can see a person's entire music collection, and probably not even understand their tastes, because while you may know the musicians, you won't know why they appeals to that person. Maybe something to think about?

The music you listen to doesn't define your tastes, your tastes define the music you listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Best way I can think of doing this, is to name 10 artists I've listened to today (Thank you MP3/Last.FM) and list 5 genres of music that make up the chunk of my MP3 player.

MSTRKRFT
    The Shangri Las
    Alkaline Trio
    Crass
    Joy Division
    The Clash
    Au Revoir Simone
    The Streets
    Moving Hearts
    The Cool Kids

Genre-wise I think in the right order it'd be:

Indie
    Electronic
    Punk
    Northern Soul
    Folk/Traditional
    Hip Hop

There's no way in hell that gives a clear picture in anyway then.
    Best to not care for limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I mean, you've told us what music you listen to, but not why you like it, what it is about those bands and artists that appeal to you. I think someone's taste in music is something other than the music they listen to, if you know what I mean, it's why that music strikes a chord with them. Someone could listen to the exact same bands as someone else, yet they might have completely different tastes, as those bands appeal to to each person in different ways, so one might latch onto the music because of certain elements, be it the lyrics, vocals, instrumentation or many other elements, maybe that's what they like to dance to.

Maybe it's just me, but I see people say "my taste in music is..." and then name-drop bands, I think that doesn't really describe their taste in music at all. You can see a person's entire music collection, and probably not even understand their tastes, because while you may know the musicians, you won't know why they appeals to that person. Maybe something to think about?

The music you listen to doesn't define your tastes, your tastes define the music you listen to.

Jaysus !! That's deep stuff Karl :p I'll have to go off and think about that one myself. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

liah wrote: »

Don't i remember a thread about reclassifying the sub forums... :P

I do agree though! It's all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I also like some 80's hits, some current pop hits, and hip-hop.

I hate rap and clubland: it's just noise

Wat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Anima wrote: »
    You like popular music, most people do. All those bands are either very old or well accepted as "good" music. You mention any of those bands to a person, who has any interest in music, and they will say they're a good band, even if they don't think that personally.

Isnt that just going with whats popular? Endorsing it because its cool? It might not be trendy to say the Beatles made some appalingly cheesey music or that Nirvana were moany angsty sh1te, but it isnt untrue.

Anyway, Im mainly dance, alot of pre 2000 hip hop, some 80s/ 90s rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Hmmm...You're tastes are quite popular 7Steve! I know a lot of people who would also be in to that type of music.
    I find myself to not be able to find people who like the music I do..

I find it hard to find new music that I really like, and haven't recently(in last 2'3 years) found any band who I'd listen to loads and know the albums off by heart.

I would listen mostly to different forms of punk and rock and a bit of scoustic things too. It's hard to explain what exactly my tastes are....it just has to sound right...I like fast melodies as long as they're not all over the place. I like when songs arent extremely tidy and overproduced, I like a bit of rawness and flaw, it makes it more real.
    I find with slow songs the lyrics matter a lot more than in faster songs.

Some bands I like:

The Offspring (especially the older stuff...before the whole Pretty Fly days)
    Brand New
    Rise Against
    Anti-Flag
    Screeching Weasel
    The Queers
    The Vandals
    Lunachicks
    Bitch Alert
    Blink-182
    Damien Rice
    Kate Nash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

My favourite acts would be The Feeling, Oasis, Muse, Snow Patrol, Keane, Arctic Monkeys, Hard-Fi, Kings of Leon, Kasabian, MGMT, Red Hot Chili Peppers and The Fratellis
    See a theme emerging?

I absolutely cannot stand hip-hop rubbish...it's just annoying fellas throwing shapes and whining and what's worse is when the same artist could have 3 songs in the charts simultaneously because they've collaborated with a load of similarly crappy acts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

My God, that's fair deep.

But the other side of that is: if you don't mention the names of the bands, then how will anyone know their tastes in music? Yes, music does something different for everyone, but it wouldn't normally be that radical. Some bands may make you angry, while others fill you with joy. But, for someone else, it may be the opposite. I know what you are getting at.

However, I was hoping this thread might take things at the surface: a very shallow taste discussion. Obviously you had other ideas...
    Originally Posted by Kold
    Wat?

Hip-hop is VERY different to rap. Just compare Andre 3000 to Eminem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

... Is Andre not considered a rapper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Andre 3000 is a talentless knobend these days. Listen to the first Outkast album, absoloute classic, and then compare it to the childish cheesey nonsense they have made since 2000 or so. Cant stand how anybody rates him these days.

Advertisement