Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocked G2.

Options
  • 14-08-2009 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭

I'm in the states atm and decided to hit an electronics store to see what new handsets they have. The guy showed me the new Google G2,had a play around with it and it looked fantastic. Question is,will it work when i get it home? It's quad band but bearing in mind i bought an unlocked LG Renoir a couple of months back and wouldn't work when i got to the US(i'm on 3) so i don't want to shell out $500 on a phone that'll be banjaxed when i get home.

Any help greatly appreciated.:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'm in the states atm and decided to hit an electronics store to see what new handsets they have. The guy showed me the new Google G2,had a play around with it and it looked fantastic. Question is,will it work when i get it home? It's quad band but bearing in mind i bought an unlocked LG Renoir a couple of months back and wouldn't work when i got to the US(i'm on 3) so i don't want to shell out $500 on a phone that'll be banjaxed when i get home.

Any help greatly appreciated.:cool:
    A GSM quad-band handset will work on any Irish GSM network; GSM quad-band = GSM 850/900/1800/1900 bands. Irish GSM networks = GSM 900/1800 bands.

I reckon that your European LG Renoir wouldn't work on any US 3G network as they use completely different 3G frequencies than we do here in Ireland; the UMTS 2100 band is used over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Rsaeire wrote: »
    A GSM quad-band handset will work on any Irish GSM network; GSM quad-band = GSM 850/900/1800/1900 bands. Irish GSM networks = GSM 900/1800 bands.

I reckon that your European LG Renoir wouldn't work on any US 3G network as they use completely different 3G frequencies than we do here in Ireland; the UMTS 2100 band is used over here.

Thanks Rsaeire. I had to get my sister to post over my old nokia 6220 classic just so i could use my phone!! Think i may go for the G2,looks great,OS seems smooth,has a stylus for the touchscreen too. Looks a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

lord lucan wrote: »
    Thanks Rsaeire. I had to get my sister to post over my old nokia 6220 classic just so i could use my phone!! Think i may go for the G2,looks great,OS seems smooth,has a stylus for the touchscreen too. Looks a winner.

Somethings wrong here :confused:
    All Android phones have a capacitive screen that styluses dont work on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Somethings wrong here :confused:
    All Android phones have a capacitive screen that styluses dont work on

That's what i'd thought too. I remember seeing a vid on youtube of a chinese knock off of the new G2 that had a stylus,could well have been what i was being offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Really sounds like a knock off to me. If by the G2 you mean the HTC Magic or the HTC Hero (I think they call Hero the G2 in the UK), neither of them have a space for a stylus, and a stylus won't even work. Chinese Android and iPhone knockoffs frequently have resistive screens.

The funny thing is most chinaphones don't work in the US, so it's quite weird that you're seeing one there. Either way very few of them have 3G and even less have normal wifi (it is illegal in China).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

The HTC G1 supports UMTS on 1700MHz and 2100MHz which means it works in the US on Verizon & T-Mobile I think, and it works in Ireland.

The UK Version of the HTC Hero works on 900Mhz & 2100Mhz which means it only works on UMTS in Europe/Middle East/Africa and most of Asia.

Advertisement