Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone App Tutorial

Options
  • 14-08-2009 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys...
    Im looking to write a simple application for my phone (Sony Ericsson k800i).

Its basically a random number generator that triggers an alarm at any time during the day

For those interested its part of Win Wengers Brain Boosters Sideband exercise.

Any help on where to start looking?

Phones use java dont they?
    Ive coded in lots of languages but not java. Whats involved? Where can i get a compiler? Any links would be very much appreciated.

Google isnt showing up much practical help, or else im just searching for the wrong thing...
    Thanks
    John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Here's hello world - its should do!
    http://www.uberthings.com/mobile/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

when programming for mobile devices in college we used Netbeans and the wireless toolkit plugin to develop java me (midp) applications.

it comes with an emulator.

Maybe search MIDP?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Both eclipse and netbeans can be downloaded with a java me plugin for mobile development.

Alternatively I assume the k800i is a Symbian phone so you could look at a symbian development kit (carbide), but that would be alot harder to get started with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Thanks guys!
    I got up and running...
    http://www.netbeans.org/kb/docs/javame/quickstart.html
    Seems to be the easiest way forward.

Download newest netbeans with j2me support (just another ide - but a very good one)
    Then just download jdk as the link above says.

Its a lot easier than i thought...
    I've a few nice little projects to code up.
    Thanks guys
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You have a few options.

J2ME - This is the java used by most mobile phones. Eclipse has this as well as others above mentioned.

Symbian OS - This is C++ language. Nokia phones.

.NET - Only good for Windows mobile phones. Extremely easy to code in though and you have a number of code platforms to choose from (eg. C#, VB). Anything you write will work in windows.

Objective-C - This is for the iPhone. To code though you will need a mac. Like the .net option it is very easy to code in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

used java to write a program for my FYP on a nokia N95. very easy to work with

Advertisement