If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First system

Options
  • 15-08-2009 4:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi y'all

Like many others on here I'm very new to this whole concept but want the foundations of a good future proofed system with a budget in the region of 500-700 euro. I was initially somewhat taken by the the All in One Panasonic SC-BT200 but the more I read I think a separates system would be better for me.

In terms of what I have and what I want the system for? I have a bog standard TV with the red, white and yellow sockets and scart, I have a couple of network Media Hard drives with loads of inputs and outputs on the back.

What I'm looking for in a sound system is something to be used primarily for listening to music from the media drive and also radio, but also for watching videos in surround sound from time to time and all this in a living room of about 12' by 20'

Down the road I'd also envisage upgrading the TV and perhaps buying a good quality CD/DVD player or even blue ray. The other option that I would possibly be interested in is Internet radio possibly as a seperate element also.

On an initial browse it sounds like the Denon AVR-1910 might be something in the region of what I'm looking for, not sure where to go for speakers after that but I'd be open to suggestions. And do you do delivery to anywhere in Ireland?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

pjordan wrote: »
    Hi y'all

Like many others on here I'm very new to this whole concept but want the foundations of a good future proofed system with a budget in the region of 500-700 euro. I was initially somewhat taken by the the All in One Panasonic SC-BT200 but the more I read I think a separates system would be better for me.

In terms of what I have and what I want the system for? I have a bog standard TV with the red, white and yellow sockets and scart, I have a couple of network Media Hard drives with loads of inputs and outputs on the back.

What I'm looking for in a sound system is something to be used primarily for listening to music from the media drive and also radio, but also for watching videos in surround sound from time to time and all this in a living room of about 12' by 20'

Down the road I'd also envisage upgrading the TV and perhaps buying a good quality CD/DVD player or even blue ray. The other option that I would possibly be interested in is Internet radio possibly as a seperate element also.

On an initial browse it sounds like the Denon AVR-1910 might be something in the region of what I'm looking for, not sure where to go for speakers after that but I'd be open to suggestions. And do you do delivery to anywhere in Ireland?

Pj,

Thanks a million for the post - but to be fair to Baords and to you - you should also post it in the larger HE forum where you will get Boardie HE enthuasists giving you their advice free of any commercial influence!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=113

Anyway - now onto the commercial influence - yep we do deliver most kit all over Ireland daily (there are some things we cannot ship unfortunately) and we always try to offer Boardies preferential pricing.

You are M U C H better off sticking to a separates system over an 'all in one' system especially if you are looking to 'future proof' in some respects a system.

As a starting point we could do the excellent Onkyo TXSR607 AV receiver matched with the Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 system at just £749.95 or with the stunning Denon AVR1910 you can just add £50 If you wanted to add a BluRay we are doing a Boards special with the Philips BDP3000 at just £99.95

Keep me posted if any of these are of interest to you and again thanks for the opportunity to quote,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

Thanx John

Just wondering if I opted for the Tannoy SFX 5.1 speakers instead per a previous package you recommended with the AVR 1910, or are the monitor audio speakers really a necessity over the Tannoy to compliment the capability of the AVR1910?

Also how much extra should I allow for cables to wire up the speakers and to connect this system to my media hard drive?

Finally if I wanted to listen to this before I make a definite decision am I correct in understanding that ye can be found in Dame St in Dublin also?

Thanx John

Just wondering if I opted for the Tannoy SFX 5.1 speakers instead per a previous package you recommended with the AVR 1910, or are the monitor audio speakers really a necessity over the Tannoy to compliment the capability of the AVR1910?

Also how much extra should I allow for cables to wire up the speakers and to connect this system to my media hard drive?

Finally if I wanted to listen to this before I make a definite decision am I correct in understanding that ye can be found in Dame St in Dublin also?

PJ,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

The SFX will be fine with the Denon AVR1910 - however I do think that it really is capable of driving MUCH better speakers (even than the Vectors to be honest!) however the SFX at £199 are excellent value and will work well with the 1910.

In terms of cables - the rule of thumb is approx 10% of the total system cost should be set aside for cables & interconnects - however to be honest it just depends on how long your cable runs are! If you go for the SFX or the VEctors we would recommend Gale Symphony 100 which is excellent value at just £0.69/Meter and really does sound excellent - on the HDMI links we normally recommend either Panasonic or Sparta and both are excellent value (the Sparta probably has the edge in terms of build quality - and they are slightly less expensive!)

Re. The Hard drive - can you tell me what outputs it has & I'll recommend cables for you.

..and finally, yep if you want a demo - we can heve the kit sent down to The Philips Shop on Dame Street for you no problem and the guys will set it up in their Demo room there by appointment.

Thanks and again apologies for the delay in getting back to you!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

John

Jees yer up nearly as late as me!!

You nearly have me convinced on the Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 speakers except just a little curious why they don't feature anywhere on your site, Just wondering how they compare say to the Harmon Kardon HKTS7?

In any case I'll check out my Hard Drive for inputs/outputs and confirm my room size and give ye a call next week. Oh and it'd be great if ye could give me a ball park figure in Euros on this stuff and can I take it price includes delivery or how much extra would it be?

John

Jees yer up nearly as late as me!!

You nearly have me convinced on the Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 speakers except just a little curious why they don't feature anywhere on your site, Just wondering how they compare say to the Harmon Kardon HKTS7?

In any case I'll check out my Hard Drive for inputs/outputs and confirm my room size and give ye a call next week. Oh and it'd be great if ye could give me a ball park figure in Euros on this stuff and can I take it price includes delivery or how much extra would it be?

PJ,

Yep up late last night ok - working on catching up on Boards!

OK:

Onkyo TXSR607 + Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 system £749.95/ €879.99

Denon AVR1910 + Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 System £799.95 / €949.99

Both prices include delivery.

The Monitor Audio is not on the .com or the .co.uk site as our cousins in England are not authorised MA dealers - however I have been selling the MA range for over 20 years now! :eek: (God I'm getting old!)

In comparison to the Harman Kardon - there is no contest - The vector is a far superior system however the satellites are slightly larger which of course enhances the bass.

Thanks again for the post and as ever drop us a line if we can asssit in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

• Advertisement

Was waiting a call back and just got a voice mail on my phone so thanx for the response

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.