Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It'd be a great city if only you could roof it"

• 15-08-2009 7:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭

When people say something like that, I believe they are joking. Councillor Mary Roche is taking it seriously though. Doesn't appear to be on the Munster site yet, but they do have a story about it. Part of a three point plan is to put a transparent roof over John Roberts Square and surrounding streets. It may be nice in the rain, but I'm not sure about it at other times.

The other two points, in case you are wondering, is rebranding to take better advantage of they city history, like Viking invasion, Strongbow and Aoife, etc. and finally, free entertainment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

A transparent roof? That sounds disgusting. What a waste of money.

I can handle a bit of rain and wind, for the sake of fresh air. It sounds incredibly tacky too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bird droppings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

When I saw the article, I initially thought she meant "rainproofing" in the sense of future-proofing the City from the economic doom and gloom. I was giving her far too much credit though.

If she wasn't already, she's definitely the laughing stock of the Council now.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

It would turn these areas into greenhouses when it gets warm. And imagine what it'll look like when it gets dirty with black smoke stains and green. From the time I've spent in Limerick at college, Waterford only gets a fraction of the amount of rain that falls there. Worst idea ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

How are they going to get the stray pigeon out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I would like more info, I'm willing to guess the roof would not be "tight" to the existing roof lines but would be semi free standing with plenty of room for airflow and birds to escape.

Or maybe something like this

Picture_001____Main.jpg

or this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

it would,nt be a bad idea if it were done properly and not just done like a roof on someones back shed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Here is a suggestion for Mary and the rest of the city council. Get your collective finger out of your hole and spend the cities recourses on building attractions in the city centre that will bring locals and visitors in. It is typical of the city council to come up with things like this. Just like that big metal thing in John Roberts Square, a million Euros and absolutely no benefit to the local economy. That million Euros would have been better spent on a heritage trail around the city which would help keep visitors around the city for longer.

The suggested roof would cost a few million Euros to put in place. Again that few million would be better spent on the Viking triangle project or on an industrial museum. The old mill on the north wharf would be perfect for an industrial museum if somebody in the city council had the imagination to think about it.

I am all for imaginative projects but the novelty of something like this would wear off in about 10 minutes. What the city centre needs is attractions, plain and simple. Be it retail or tourism Waterford city centres attraction is just not good enough for a city like Waterford.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I actually like the look of those two pics which mike posted, That could look ok alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

That is possibly one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard!!

Go buy a friggin jacket for christ sake instead of wasting money on such silly silly ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Building a roof is not going to improve the tourist trade in Waterford nor will it help business, such a waste of money.

If this gets to any sort of planning stage then Mary Rouche should step down for wasting money on a pipe dream with no benefits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Cabaal wrote: »
    Building a roof is not going to improve the tourist trade in Waterford nor will it help business, such a waste of money.

If this gets to any sort of planning stage then Mary Rouche should step down for wasting money on a pipe dream with no benefits

I do think it is a good idea, we could have a proper farmers market/stalls in JR Square. Could have a themed Christmas market there also similar to what they have in Germany etc.

Just look at McDonagh Junction with their glassed roof and the doof court with seating outside

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

After seeing some of the pics, I like the idea but still cant help thinking its a waste of money and probably wouldnt be done right. Afterall, look at the last time the council decided to "invest" in something big(sh) - that horendous piece of junk outside Sam Macs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

cant believe some of ye like it. most ridiculous idea since like....ever :rolleyes:some ideas which were suggested seems a more sensible way to spend that money,by the way where are they getting the money from?recession my ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

They'd be better off putting a roof over outside the Social Welfare, as the CityCo seem to be making no attempts to shorten the Q's out there ...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bards wrote: »
    Just look at McDonagh Junction with their glassed roof and the doof court with seating outside

Which is dead most days of the week, is privately owned and nobody has to look after it during the night.

Also its smaller then john roberts square and because its private they don't have to look for permission to attach the roof to the surrounding building like they would have to in john roberts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It would end up just being a big sheet of corrugated plastic bolted up there in the cheapest way possible

Also it would need the streets to be hosed down every morning to get rid of the stink of p1ss from the night before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

The city would be great if it didnt close so bloody early! Open longer = more jobs = more money for businesses! Better seating in red sqaure also!

sounds easy but probably really isn't.. just my two cents

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

The problem is, people head home at 5/5:30, leaving the city dead by 6, so noone's going to risk paying staff to stay on 'til 9 if there's noone in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Fajitas! wrote: »
    The problem is, people head home at 5/5:30, leaving the city dead by 6, so noone's going to risk paying staff to stay on 'til 9 if there's noone in!

Yeah but the reason for that is everything closes around 5 - 5:30 anyway bar thursday and friday! Im just comparing us to cork now.. I was there going to a gig at like 11 oclock and loads of places were still open and the streets were packed same as there were at noon! I couldn't believe it. Subway open haha :eek:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

But what's in the city centre to keep people in there after 5.30 ? Supermacs ? McDonalds ? I still think it's a shame that the city never built on what was done for the Tall Ships event that was run a few years ago, every one was bitching about the park and ride but we took to it like ducks to water and no one really suffered, the city centre was a hive of activity..

Now we have absolutely nothing happening in the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think the Chamber/Council should try a launch an initiative to try and boost trade outside of regular hours. Perhaps have live entertainment in the City Centre once a week with cafes and shops remaining open. We're probably at the wrong side of the season to have something like that take off though, which is unfortunate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 The Steelman

my few cents:

if they want to invest in stuff for the city centre, they should put in place more bins. theyres plenty right in the centre, but if you go even a little bit out of the way, youll be left holding the bag. as it were.

it mightent work in waterford city, but when i was Antibe in the south of France, they had these really basic bins everywhere in the place. Including suburbs. It was basicaly, two galvanised steel rings that went one inside the other (with very little room between them) and a lid. youd put the bag in between the two rings, and the lid to cover. That was it. Cheap, and they were everywhere.

that and public toilets (or if not that, then a scheme where the public are free to use the toilets of the bigger local businesses without having to pay)

adjust the traffic light sequence at all semi to major junctions to give a higher preference to pedestrians. How else are they going to get people to use em properly, if the green man is off in the algarve all the time, living it up?

Public Transport:
    Adjust the bus routes so that a higher proportion of the city is covered. Placement of stops so that you dont have to walk a mile to get to one, no matter where you are in the city.
    PUT THE PRICE OF THE BUS ON THE WINDOW, SO YOU CAN SEE BEFORE YOU GET ON!!!

I had a whole list of little things collected, that could be easily done, but i cant remember half of them now :D

Steel

AdMMM wrote: »
    I think the Chamber/Council should try a launch an initiative to try and boost trade outside of regular hours. Perhaps have live entertainment in the City Centre once a week with cafes and shops remaining open. We're probably at the wrong side of the season to have something like that take off though, which is unfortunate.

As far as I know, they are starting entertainment at some stage. Or at least it was proposed. Well needed to get people back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Waterford city is so bland, I dunno how you would fix it without knocking it down and starting again with some more interesting building shapes, materials etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RaZzZz

go to Sully's if you want somethin to do ^^ or sit on the coffins in red square ;) good times to be had lads ^^

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

RaZzZz wrote: »
    go to Sully's if you want somethin to do ^^ or sit on the coffins in red square ;) good times to be had lads ^^

Ya, if your like 15!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 stu_rock

This idea seems to have come from her recent visit to belfast.

http://cllrmaryroche.blogspot.com/

"Just back from a short visit on behalf of the City to Belfast who are playing host to the finish of this years Trans Atlantic Tallships Festival.
    As you know, Waterford will be once again hosting the start of the race from June 30th to July 3rd in 2011 and the Mayor, John Halligan, Olivia O'Reilly the City Council Tallships Co-ordinator and I spent two days in Belfast meeting and networking with the Ports, Sail Training International and the Ships Masters and organisations of behalf of the event in 2011 continuing the good work being done to ensure a large fleet returns here for that weekend.
    It was a bonus that my husband Liam, who Captains the sailing brig Stavros S Niarchos, was also at the festival. (Pictured above with the Mayor on board.)

Anyway, while in Belfast I took the opportunity to visit the city centre and was surprised and delighted to see that Belfast, in a huge programme of pedestrianisation and street improvement is making large tracts of their city centre weatherproof. As you can see in the photograph above it entails a light covering extending from the shop fronts a few metres out over the street and indeed further in towards back you can see a brand new shopping centre (very nice) which has been designed to mimic a street scape and feel.

This is the type of weatherproofing that I think would work well in Waterford City and it's nice to see it in action - even if I did have to get out into the rain to the the pics!"

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RaZzZz

Sully wrote: »
    Ya, if your like 15!

Im 21 an I hang out with me friends in JR Square, plaza the park! anywhere :) course there are alot of youngins around but so what :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

RaZzZz wrote: »
    Im 21 an I hang out with me friends in JR Square, plaza the park! anywhere :) course there are alot of youngins around but so what :cool:

Good man...we'll know where to find you next time there's anti-social behaviour in town :)

Advertisement