Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It'd be a great city if only you could roof it"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

It will turn green in time, so it would need to be looked after and that would be ongoing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

RaZzZz wrote: »
    Im 21 an I hang out with me friends in JR Square, plaza the park! anywhere :) course there are alot of youngins around but so what :cool:

Would I be right in saying your a skater or biker?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

Sully wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying your a skater or biker?!

no need to drag this off topic, what has that got to do with anything?

Id like to see it done in the same way as the above blog in belfast, not full coverage. Never going to happen tho

edit: didnt realise you where a mod, but still dont see the relevence.
    Iv seen plenty of threads dragged down this route in my lurking days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BadCharlie wrote: »
    It will turn green in time, so it would need to be looked after and that would be ongoing.

Green tinted roof would fix that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

no need to drag this off topic, what has that got to do with anything?

<off topic>Just curious, dont know many folk his age hanging around in those spots. Seems to be mostly young people, or those skating/biking because the type of area its in :)</off topic>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Sully wrote: »
    <off topic>Just curious, dont know many folk his age hanging around in those spots. Seems to be mostly young people, or those skating/biking because the type of area its in :)</off topic>

While I don't 'hang around' JR square, the park, etc., I along with many other adults living in the inner city do frequent these places. Not just kids around.

I think that trying to make the city water proof is a ridiculous idea for many reasons. They would be better off trying to fix up cathedral sq., which in the past two years has fallen into near terminal decay. 2/3 houses are vacant and vandalised, with graffiti all over them, which no doubt provided additional privacy for the contemptible individuals who broke into Christ Church. Rumour has it that these houses have a protected order on them and cannot be easily renovated. The council should buy these houses and do something with them! A small architecture museum with a cafe in one?

These houses are bang smack along the walking tour of the city walls and makes us look very bad to tourists. I'd fix these glaring problems before taking about pie in the sky projects like roofing the city centre. (Besides, if you force the likes of TKMaxx into the city centre then people will have to come in rain, hail or shine.)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

merlante wrote: »
    These houses are bang smack along the walking tour of the city walls and makes us look very bad to tourists.

It should be clear to everyone by now that Waterford has never taken tourism seriously, Waterford has some great attractions and history but yet these are not really used to promote it.

Sad really,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

i think its an excellent idea, architecturally were one of the only city's in the country were it would be possible to cover its city center with a glass roof, personly i think shes a visionary just think of the benefits and possibility's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

personally i dont like it, theirs a charm to the rain. I know that sounds crazy but maybe im in the minority that actually like the rain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

alrightcuz wrote: »
    i think its an excellent idea, architecturally were one of the only city's in the country were it would be possible to cover its city center with a glass roof, personly i think shes a visionary just think of the benefits and possibility's

Visionary/idiot it's a fine line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RaZzZz

lOl nah Sully im no skater or biker jus a normal lad really :)
    I often see adults in small groups walkin around or sittin on the coffins in the square or even over by the plaza :) tis great to see tbh! BB's seems to be a hangout area for alot of people too :)
    Anybody around town Saturday before the big game in the RSC?? ;)

I had an American friend (now wife to be ^^) over during the Spraoi festival an we walked through the Cathedral area and I felt sooo ashamed walking past those feckin wrecked houses :P tho she loved everythin else which was grrrand ^^

I've asked some friends about this Roof idea and everyone so far likes the idea! dunno why.. but there ya go ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

alrightcuz wrote: »
    i think its an excellent idea, architecturally were one of the only city's in the country were it would be possible to cover its city center with a glass roof

You are absolutely right. Also, it might give the 'city' abit more of a city feel.

As for "the money would be better spent elsewhere' , I could indeed but a trademark like a fancy unique shaped roof over the city could be just the thing to give Waterford that something extra that it is sorely lacking and attract tourism and Businesses to 'The city where it never rains'.
    Think
    sydney-opera-house-view.jpg

But on a much smaller scale

Advertisement