Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train prices

Options
  • 15-08-2009 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Im sure this might have been mentioned here before , but can anyone justify why a return from limerick to dublin costs just short of 60 euro (never mind further afield ).Ive lived in a lot of different countries and have payed the equivalent of 30 euro to travel twice that distance .I have seen tourists at the train stations wince when they are told how much to pay for their tickets .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

I've just checked online there and I could book a seat for monday morning Dub - Limerick for €29, that seems reasonable enough to me.

Have you ever had the misfortune of traveling intercity in the UK ? you'll know all about high prices there !!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Better than that - Day return Dublin to Portarlington, bought online with their much vaunted cheapest prices - €24.50

I get to Portarlington to see that if you're doing a Day return Portarlington to Dublin, then it's only €10.00 for a day return.

What sort of a cod is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Day return Dublin to Nenagh 40 euro
    Day return Nenagh to Dublin 25 euro
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

and the london underground will cost you £4 to go a few stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

whippet wrote: »
    I've just checked online there and I could book a seat for monday morning Dub - Limerick for €29, that seems reasonable enough to me.

Have you ever had the misfortune of traveling intercity in the UK ? you'll know all about high prices there !!!

QFT

Cardiff - London (under 3 hours) - 'cheapest' ticket is £60!

And London itself is an absolute joke! - Waterloo - Godalming (about 30 miles) - in or around £15

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Trains piss me off :) When I was young it was only 4 euro mala-cork, then it went up to five, however when they stopped believing that i was a child it went up to 10.10 but then then went up to 11.30.....and you only get 20 cent off if you're a student :\

Also another thing i don't get
    mala to cork - 11.30
    cork to mala 16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

spurious wrote: »
    What sort of a cod is that?

They're keeping the Dubs away from us

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

One way Dublin to Tralee was €98 on the last bank holiday weekend, unbelievable, and the greens would prefer if I left my car at home.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

we have some of the cheapest train fares in europe.was in the uk recently and a train from london to liverpool cost 140 sterling single.a journey that took 2 hours and 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

98 quid from Tralee seems expensive was that first class or something ?

I paid 38 ( online offer only ) from Killarney at the weekend. Seemed pretty reasonable value to me.

However the 60 ( odd ) quid they wanted if you paid at the booking office was a crazy price , if you don't have a credit card or means to pay online you are punished badly for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I paid €70+ for a return ticket from Cork to Dublin in June. Drove the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

My sister was in school uniform, asked for student ticket. The one behind the desk said you need ID,so she would have to pay double the price 20euro for student, 40euro for adult. She walked off and as she got to the gate the woman shouted after her and said fine i will give you a ticket. Only because they were assh*les screwing a child over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

What do we expect.
    We are paying railway monopoly Iarnrod Eireann workers Celtic-Tiger inflated wages for doing what is effectively manual semi-skilled work, while the company itself is highly inefficient and overly subsidised.
    Get rid of the unions.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Trampas wrote: »
    and the london underground will cost you £4 to go a few stops.

for 4 pund you can use the underground all day

stanstead to liverpool station in london is 23pound return I think. 40min journey each way, bit of a rip off. I only fly there when I get flights for 20euro or less total price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

What do we expect.
    We are paying railway monopoly Iarnrod Eireann workers Celtic-Tiger inflated wages for doing what is effectively manual semi-skilled work, while the company itself is highly inefficient and overly subsidised.

rip off train ticket prices, where does their money go? obviously not on bridge maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

we have some of the cheapest train fares in europe.was in the uk recently and a train from london to liverpool cost 140 sterling single.a journey that took 2 hours and 5 minutes

That must have been first class walk up fare. You can get a train from Euston to Liverpool for £11 if you book in advance from www.virgintrains.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    My sister was in school uniform, asked for student ticket. The one behind the desk said you need ID,so she would have to pay double the price 20euro for student, 40euro for adult. She walked off and as she got to the gate the woman shouted after her and said fine i will give you a ticket. Only because they were assh*les screwing a child over.

The student tickets are for people in full-time third level education with a Student Travelcard only. You can buy a 16-26 railcard which gets you reduced fares if you are between 16 and 26

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

jahalpin wrote: »
    That must have been first class walk up fare. You can get a train from Euston to Liverpool for £11 if you book in advance from www.virgintrains.co.uk

The price was walk up and standard class compare it to a walk up Dublin Belfast fare it is extremley dear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'm heading to Limerick on Friday from Dublin and coming back on Sunday and the price is €58!!! Pure rip off. I'll be taking my car now, feck the enviornment!!!!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

What do we expect.

I agree that the prices are high.

However other European countries with Unionized staff and rail monopolies are still better value and more efficient. Meanwhile the private and less unionized British trains are very expensive.

Passivisation does not solve everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paddy cork

nice to milan 15 euro 5 hours
    milan to paris 25 euro 7/8 hours
    1 day ticket in milan trams metro busus(including linate) 3 euro:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

been using the trains between Athlone and Dublin for 10 years at least twice a month and Cork also as I stopped driving while living in Dublin.

Prices just keep increasing for the trains making it more and more practicle to drive instead given the convenience and the time journeys can take via train. Driving I know is quicker from Athlone to Dublin then the train (which has inproved but not enough to compete with the car).

They wonder why passenger numbers are falling year on year - maybe if they lowered the prices people would use the trains instead?

There are also crazy differences in prices aimed to screw anyone who doesnt book on line or even I've noticed in Dublin the charge extra for getting a return ticket on fridays (10 i think extra) compared to buying in athlone!!!! haven't had time to re read/make sense of this post dinner ready! :)

Advertisement