Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France and Caravans?

• 15-08-2009 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hiya, just wondering is France as caravan friendly as camper friendly re facilities etc, is the Aires just available for motorhomes?
    Is there a sort of cut off time when people stop heading over on camper/caravan hols/road trips? Would Sept be the last month that people here would use for their hols to France via campervan/caravan?
    Thanks,
    James

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

We were in St Jean de Monts for Easter. The weather then was much the same as it has been here all summer. Not sure what it would be like later in the year though. Most of the sites close for year very early so you would want to have a list before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sonic74f

Ok thanks for your reply, Its just something I am considering at the moment but I wasnt sure how long I could leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 cabinpac

The Aires are exclusively for the use by motor homes, with a caravan you would have to use the camp sites, the municipal sites are very reasonably about €12/ night for 2 people & caravan. Off season many private camp sites are open, check out "www.campingcard.com" for off peak discounts and a list of camp sites in book & CD format. I have just returned form a motor home holiday in France, due to poor weather in late July I moved from The Atlantic coast to the Med & the weather improved. Frank

Thanks for that Frank, much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

Just back from over three months in France, Spain etc.and i saw Caravans on the Aires in the south of France. I think it depends on the size of the parking bays in the particular Aires. Also we saw cars parked with Motorhomes and these were not cars that the Motorhomes were towing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 keith_donaghy

Just watch out if you plan on sleeping at a service station on the Autoroute.

My family an I where robbed whilst asleep, they broke the lock on the motorhome door and took all the money which was hidden and mobile phones. Luckily they left the passports.

It happened on the Autoroute outside Lyon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

Many campsites open all year, most to end Sept at least but with possible reduced facilities. advantage of reduced fees also.and not too busy and no need to book. ferries also tend to be cheaper with kids back at school etc so off-peak is good for France.
    certain to be better weather than here and can keep moving south and inland to seek better weather.
    cost can be as much as half for campsites, up to half for food and ridiculous prices for wine and beer in supermarkets compared to Ireland.
    you'd be tempted to stay for good
    go for it

Excellent, much appreciated for the feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

Just watch out if you plan on sleeping at a service station on the Autoroute.

My family an I where robbed whilst asleep, they broke the lock on the motorhome door and took all the money which was hidden and mobile phones. Luckily they left the passports.

It happened on the Autoroute outside Lyon.

Hi Keith when did this happen, and nobody heard anything. I believe it is very dangerous to overnight on the Motorway rest areas.

Advertisement