Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 pints of lager for 8.70€

Options
  • 15-08-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭

Few weeks ago in rural Czech republic, 2.50€ for a pint in Spain, 1.60 at the Faro motorcycle rally, 4.80€ Bishopstown Bar for a pint of cider last night, are we being ripped off, what do you think? only people putting up drink prices in Ireland are Bar owners and Daigeo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

what's the average Czech wage...? about €10k? probably even less in rural areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Also, we have huge tax on alcohol.

Just stop buying pints if you feel you're being ripped off. That's what I did, and now I wake up every morning feeling great, and I'm able to save a fortune every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

RuggieBear wrote: »
    what's the average Czech wage...? about €10k? probably even less in rural areas.

Ok, so that 2 1/2 times less than Ireland but Irish prices are about 5 to 6 times higher ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

bogman wrote: »
    Ok, so that 2 1/2 times less than Ireland but Irish prices are about 5 to 6 times higher ?

Let's not forget to factor in our tax :cool: how much higher is it over here than in czech?

But yes, our costs will still be higher, because yes business operators are out to maximise their profits...so long as we willingly pay the prices they are asking our costs will not lower....of course..if we didn't go and pay those prices, business operators would have to lower their profit expectations and reduce their prices...alternatively, move to the czech republic :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Average wage in Ireland is not 25k, try around the double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,355 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Putting a huge overhead on something people are addicted to anyway. Oh yeah - that will save the economy. Make sure everyone with a vice is stuck waddling through poverty to get their next pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

4.80€ Bishopstown Bar for a pint of cider last night

Thats not spoiled by Irish standards.... ive paid more.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Few weeks ago in rural Czech republic, 2.50€ for a pint in Spain, 1.60 at the Faro motorcycle rally, 4.80€ Bishopstown Bar for a pint of cider last night, are we being ripped off, what do you think? only people putting up drink prices in Ireland are Bar owners and Daigeo

Got a round of 15 pints for less then a tenner in burno in 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

You are joking right?

Average wage in Ireland is about 35K and that was before the recession.

In the 1st Quarter of 2008 average wage was 38K.

A lot of people have taken 20% pay cuts so it's probably at about 30k or so.
    Nody wrote: »
    Average wage in Ireland is not 25k, try around the double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I live in the czech republic, and a pint of guinness is 55 crowns or about 2 euro, and that is considered pricey. Average for lager is about a euro, and some places, as little as 60 cent, but I am using guinness as a comparison.

The reason I am using guinness as an example is because it is made in James' Gate, and a man on probably about average wage for Ireland, drives the barrels by truck approximately 2000 kilometres to Brno. I then go into 'The Bull' in Brno and get a pint of the stuff for 2 euro, whereas in Dublin, I could walk into a pub down the road from James' Gate and be charged 5 euro.

Now I know the wage of the Barman is more in Ireland than Brno, and the wage of the girl who collects the glasses is more etc, and I know that duty and VAT in Ireland is very high, but even then, it still does not explain why it is so expensive in Ireland. By the way, VAT in the Czech republic is 19% so it is similar to Ireland, which is 21.5 %.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

syklops wrote: »
    I live in the czech republic, and a pint of guinness is 55 crowns or about 2 euro, and that is considered pricey. Average for lager is about a euro, and some places, as little as 60 cent, but I am using guinness as a comparison.

The reason I am using guinness as an example is because it is made in James' Gate, and a man on probably about average wage for Ireland, drives the barrels by truck approximately 2000 kilometres to Brno. I then go into 'The Bull' in Brno and get a pint of the stuff for 2 euro, whereas in Dublin, I could walk into a pub down the road from James' Gate and be charged 5 euro.

Now I know the wage of the Barman is more in Ireland than Brno, and the wage of the girl who collects the glasses is more etc, and I know that duty and VAT in Ireland is very high, but even then, it still does not explain why it is so expensive in Ireland. By the way, VAT in the Czech republic is 19% so it is similar to Ireland, which is 21.5 %.

If I lived in the Czech Republic, the last thing I'd want to do is drink a pint of tar and pay double, when there's tons and tons of genuinely some of the greatest beers in the world around!
    It's like the Monty Python sketch A Blow On The Head!

If I lived in the Czech Republic, the last thing I'd want to do is drink a pint of tar and pay double, when there's tons and tons of genuinely some of the greatest beers in the world around!
    It's like the Monty Python sketch A Blow On The Head!

Dr Kamikazi, you've never been homesick no? Well I have been. And when I am homesick I am willing to pay a small fortune for a taste of home. That said if they were charging dublin prices for it, I might reconsider it.

Right now I am drinking a very cold Pilsner Urquell. I got a box of 8 of them for 134 crowns which is about a fiver.

Nah, used to guzzle Guinness, had to give up for the good of those around me.
    It really does wondrous things to your digestive system.
    More of a lager man, me. Czech Republic would be ideal for me.
    Just to get away from the doom and gloom and the 3 years of almost constant rain we've had...
    Plus, people here really believe that Bud (the American stuff) and Heineken are decent beers.
    Aaaah, the humanity! One tastes like it's been drunk already several times before and the other can only be enjoyed if your local A&E unit has a chemical burns unit.
    It would be cheaper, safer and easier if Bud and Heineken drinkers just downed pee and domestos.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The usual apologist "Ireland is different" comments aside, here's why we've been paying over the odds for a pint:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0725/1224251304973.html

Could be part of the reason.
    But the biggest problem in Ireland is the size of the country.
    Small country, few players, market gets carved up between them and no one wants to step on anyone's toes.
    Bit like 2 couples dancing the tango in a phonebox.
    This results in high prices, especially in an economy where anyone earning below 40k is regarded as poverty stricken.
    Since this country also has been poor for so long, everyone went on a massive splurge.
    New bigger house every 5 years, new bigger car every 3 years, holidays, going out, pampering in spas, like drunken lotto millionaires.
    The state (instead of reigning in this madness) decided they'll have a bit of that and cream it massively in VRT, VAT, Stamp Duty.
    When the fall of the property market was foreseen as early as 2007, the government still decided to add more fuel to the fire.
    Maybe the thinking was if we gather enough momentum we can coast over this recession and come out the other side.
    And that's why everything in Ireland is at least 30% more expensive than it should be.
    Personally I think everything is 50% overpriced.
    With the exception of childcare, which is so expensive that it would be cheaper having your children abducted by criminals and being held to ransom. And your kids would be watched over 24/7, every minute. Which is probably better than the standard of care in most of the crèches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

4.80€ Bishopstown Bar for a pint of cider last night

You think that's bad? I paid €6.20 here in Waterford for a pint bottle of cider.

We are certainly being ripped off and no bar can justify those kind of prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I dont understand why people dont teach pubs/clubs a lesson by voting with their feet.

DONT GOTO A PUB IF YOU THINK ITS TOO EXPENSIVE.
    and if you do go - dont complain about it afterwards

Yes ! I do agree that the prices of stuff in this country are a hell of a lot more expensive than in other countries - and this topic has been done to death a number of times.

personally I think that if we reduced the amount that government administrations were allowed to spend (waste) then lowered taxes.... hey presto ...Recession over :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Could be part of the reason.

And that's why everything in Ireland is at least 30% more expensive than it should be.
    Personally I think everything is 50% overpriced.
    With the exception of childcare, which is so expensive that it would be cheaper having your children abducted by criminals and being held to ransom. And your kids would be watched over 24/7, every minute. Which is probably better than the standard of care in most of the crèches.

I do agree that EVERYTHING is overpriced - although I'm interested in your childcare concept :P ...... do you have a business plan ? :rolleyes:

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I dont understand why people dont teach pubs/clubs a lesson by voting with their feet.

DONT GOTO A PUB IF YOU THINK ITS TOO EXPENSIVE.
    and if you do go - dont complain about it afterwards

That does not work when EVERYWHERE is too expensive. The only way to vote with your feet is to not go to the pub, and drink at home which alot of people are starting to do, but but despite this, prices are not dropping like they should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They should start dropping now that the VFIs price fixing iniative has been terminated. While that was in place, shopping around was pointless as no-one was going to drop their price against the competition. Terry has a thread started where people post pubs that are now doing cheaper pints. A few there doing €3 a pint. : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055643984

• Advertisement
Advertisement