Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In the words of the senior invigilator today....

• 15-08-2009 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

"In 10 years, I have never seen this happen before".

Today, I was due to sit a particular exam (I won't mention which subject, so as to avoid any slander to any one person). Upon the 4 of us due to sit the paper arriving at our desks, we notice the papers are labelled with the correct module number but the wrong title.

We bring this to the attention of an invigilator, who says that if we open the paper at the beginning of the exam timeslot and notice it is incorrect inside, they will contact the department. It was incorrect, so they contacted the department. Now, in us opening this paper, we immediately brought that exam into the public domain, thus invalidating that exam.

A lecturer arrived, talked to the invigilators who again quizzed us as to what module we should all be sitting and were we due to sit the exam that had been given to us. As we all confirmed the module and confirmed we actually didn't need to sit that paper, they then took the papers of us. We were then left like sitting ducks sitting with no paper in front of us, with the senior invigilator (who was so nice and sympathetic) coming to us telling us every few minutes what was happening.

Eventually, 25 minutes passed into the exam, and she gave us the opportunity to stand out in the hall to calm our nerves, as we were all pretty stressed by this stage. She stayed with us, and was literally in disbelief that our department made such an error.

After about 10 minutes outside, we were then speaking to said lecturer and an official from the exam department. They could not find the correct paper, and thus we're trying to get hold of the lecturer who taught the module. They said they hoped to have the exam started by 3:30 (It should've started at 12:30) but one candidate was due to work at 4.

Therefore, the earliest day we were all mutually free is now the day the exam will be held on. The lecturer, who looked so embarrassed, apologised to us as did the examinations official.

The invigilator then brought us out our possessions, and we were allowed to leave.

So,I am now sitting 5 repeats next week....with no day off :(

But seriously, how does one make such an error as to label an exam wrong and not even have a paper ready?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

:eek:

Holy ****!!

That's crazy!! When do you have to sit it now?

I can't even begin to think how that happened? They got the module number right but the title wrong? wtf?! How is that even possible?

Fair play to the invigilator, sounds like they were doing their best to help you guys out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

so what was the content of the exam paper was wrong too?

That is fair ****. Hard luck dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Demand that you're given at least 40% of the module to compensate for the undue stress, anxiety and upset that has been caused by the department at no fault of your own! Maybe that invigilator from Louth has been doing a bit of freelancing ;)
    But seriously, that's nonsense, ye poor things :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Rough, complain like a mofo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Was this French? (maybe you shouldn't answer.... :P )

How fecking annoying this must have been! >:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

That is crazy. You poor basterds! My sympathies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭nothing

That's a disgrace... although it happening once in 10 years is not so bad...

But really sucks for you guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Well, the sentiment I've been getting from family and friends today is: COMPLAIN

I'm definitely going into the SU after Monday's exam, just to ask what would be the best way to look into this and if they would reccommend that I take any action.

I'm not even pissed I've to sit it later, I'm just annoyed I waste a whole day extra hanging around Maynooth :(

I totally agree. Extra agrivation that isn't necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Talk to the SU first but make sure you are actively involved in ANYTHING they do. Ask for copies of ALL written contact with the University, including emails and letters sent to anybody on your behalf. Don't be fobbed off with a 'let us look after it' approach by the SU.

Make sure you complain strongly. Write a letter to the exams office and to the President of the University as well. No need for any bad language but do make your point strongly.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 jane says

Also, is there someone in charge of exams in this department? They should also be contacted - if not, the prof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭qt9ukbg60ivjrn

contact the director or head of exams by email

maybe also talk to the others that were in the situation with you and nominate a representative if more than just you is interested in complaining

waiting until after the exams so that you concentrate

all they can offer you is an apology but pressure will be put onto the lecturer who made this mistakes, they will be put in an even more uncomfortable position, so that this might not happen again

p.s. alot lecturers are stupid, they are like babies really

they seem intelligent about their sunject but outside of that they can really be slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭cython

It occurs to me that there may be some fault beyond the academic department here as well. First off, was the correct combination of module code and title listed on both the exam permit you received, and on the seating allocation outside the door? If yes to both, then arguably the exams office should have been able to see that there was an issue when the papers did not match the details exam that was scheduled. I am aware that it may not be the procedure of the exams office to match/check these details for each paper they set out, but I would think that after something like this happens, then the procedure should probably be revised. What might take 2-3 extra minutes per exam (and that's giving them a lot of time!) could have given much more notice of the issue with the exam in question.

OK, now I know the department are truly apologetic.

I just got a phone call. They're proposing that they forego the exam and instead I do a 20 minute presentation IN ENGLISH on one of the 10 texts we covered, which includes 10 minutes Q&A. I've agreed to this :D

So, I think as long as I've agreed to this compromise, I will no longer lodge a complaint. :cool:

Hahaha wow! Seems like a good deal! Glad to hear everything's turned out well for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Excellent!

So is it safe to say it was French now, since you seem so happy the presentation is in English? : P

You can guess it was them, but I will neither confirm nor deny it.

Advertisement