Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Pubs are there left in Galway with a pool table?

Options
  • 15-08-2009 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

A friend will be in Galway next week who likes a pint and a game of pool.
    It'll be hard to find as most of the pool tables in pubs have gone.All I can think of is Sally Longs or Cullinanes in Salthill.For a bit more choice is there anywhere else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Cullinanes in Salthill? Where's that? Never heard of it.

O'Learys in Salthill also have/had pool table. Then again I don't even know if that's still open.

What about Krcma (Davey's Locker)? Didn't that have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

It's beside bank of Ireland and the church,with mocha beans on the other side.O Learys is a shop/big off licence now.
    Krcma!that might be an idea,thanks.Last time I was in,there was a pool table downstairs.
    Ok,that's 3 and counting....

or I could have said Cullinanes is almost directly across the road and a bit to the right as you look out from Krcma

Any more places?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Fibbers in Eyre Square has one and I think I heard someone say Coyotes had one, but I'm not certain

moonflower wrote: »
    Fibbers in Eyre Square has one and I think I heard someone say Coyotes had one, but I'm not certain

Thanks!
    Keep them coming,now I'm curious to see how many there is exactly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Kelehans in Bushy Park
    Charlies in Bohermore (although I think it may have closed down)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Sally Longs definitely has one but if there are bands on it will be moved to the side and you won't be able to use it. Mixers used to have one but I haven't been there in years. It suffers from the same problem as the Sally Longs pool table in that it tends to attract skangers to it.

There used to be pool tables downstairs in Krcma in Salthill. I have no idea if they are there any more.

I haven't done this in a few years but you could also try bringing some beers to the Eglington Snooker hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Col200sx wrote: »
    O'Learys in Salthill also have/had pool table. Then again I don't even know if that's still open.

That pub's has been closed nigh on three years now...

In Salthill, Trends (Cullinane's) beside Mullhollands have one. If you can put up with the smell, go for it! Also Krcma have one, it's not downstairs anymore but beside the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

City centre:
    Fibber Magees, Paddy's Bar, The Wheel House, Coyotes, Sally Longs, Blakes Tavern

Salthill:
    Krcma, Trends

Shanley wrote: »
    City centre:
    Fibber Magees, Paddy's Bar, The Wheel House, Coyotes, Sally Longs, Blakes Tavern

Salthill:
    Krcma, Trends

Blakes Tavern - Is that the place in the shopping center or the new place that used to be Cullinhanes on Eglinton St.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

think mixers has one - if your prepared for some grief

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

College Bar have 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

The Library has one (behind Bodkins).

Shanley wrote: »
    City centre:

Thats some list of pubs it should be stickied as the list of Galway pubs to avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Thats some list of pubs it should be stickied as the list of Galway pubs to avoid at all costs.

I thought Fibbers was a decent pub last time I was in it. Good jukebox, nice staff, decent pint, pool table and big screen. Maybe i got it on a good weekend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Wheel House and Charlies are both closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Why is Charlies closed? Will it reopen soon?

No idea.

But when I walked past (2-3 weeks ago?) it was shut, with a "To Let" sign outside.

I've heard a story that the landlord in the Wheelhouse changed the locks: the bar manager turned up for work one morning and found he couldn't get in. No idea how true it is though.

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Kelehans in Bushy Park
    Charlies in Bohermore (although I think it may have closed down)

Kelehans it will be!
    Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Seillejet wrote: »
    I thought Fibbers was a decent pub last time I was in it. Good jukebox, nice staff, decent pint, pool table and big screen. Maybe i got it on a good weekend though.

Fibbers is decent, it's a bit loud downstairs but upstairs is fine.
    Sally Longs is fine too. Can't vouch for the others though, don't think I've been in any of them.

• Advertisement

Owldshtok wrote: »
    Kelehans it will be!
    Thanks for that

No bother - great place for a few saturday pints, games of pool and a bit of grub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Unfortunately most of the bars mentioned above that have a pool table are sh1tholes except for Kelehans, but it's a bit far out of town though.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

mixers is closed since just after christmas.

Is there a trend regarding pubs with snooker tables and closure?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

JustMary wrote: »
    I hope not! While I couldn't care less about most of the venues mentioned previously, I'd hate to see Sally Longs close its doors. Unless of course it was replaced with a better rock/metal bar :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Stranos (Dominic/sea road) used to have two on the top floor of their pub. It was little used too if I remember rightly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lilyfiodan

Coyotes on Forster Street has one & nothing wrong with that bar- Great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pdrc101

JustMary wrote: »

YES!!!

I have not posted on this site for years but this tread really caught my attention due to the FACT that pooltables in pubs in Ireland are a recipe for disaster of the pub. The biggest factor is a rapid change in clientele and usually not for the better.

Pooltable = SCUMMAGNET

Ps Blakes at the Shopping centre never had a pool table. The Previous pub that was there did. That pub used to have bouncers on during the day. Blakes has ceased trading since Monday 14th Sept 2009. No one has taken over the premises yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I just saw this thread and thought of something that was said to me 7 or 8 years ago.

I told the person who was running a bar in Prospect Hill at the time that his bar was very nice and it only lacked a pool table as a finishing touch.

What he told me in response was "Pool tables are for gangsters"

The name of the pub he was running... Pacino's. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mango85

I was just thinking the exact same thing the other day! Love playing pool with a few pints..they took the pool tables out of the pubs to keep the knacks out Id say

Advertisement