Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolts and safes

Options
  • 15-08-2009 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Two questions really about storing a rifle with a bolt.

1. If using a gunsafe, am I obliged to store the bolt seperately?

2. If not obliged, should I anyway?

Facts on number 1 please, opinions on number 2.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i think its a good idea to store the bolt seperately , if someone went to all the time and trouble to open your gunsafe and then discovered the gun was useless becaue the bolt was missing they'd probabily just leave it and go ,
    you can buy cheap laptop safes from the hardware shops and argos now, i think they're about 30-40 euros and very handy for putting small valuable items in , so if the thief wanted your gun he would have to open two steel boxes instead of one .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

dresden8 wrote: »
    Two questions really about storing a rifle with a bolt.

1. If using a gunsafe, am I obliged to store the bolt seperately?

2. If not obliged, should I anyway?

Facts on number 1 please, opinions on number 2.

Thanks

1. No. You are not obliged.

2. Yes. Rowa has it spot on. A good idea to have a secure lock box/safe elsewhere in your home to store bolts, shotgun stocks, pistol barrels anything that can be removed to avoid the gun being functional.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Had aa n inspection from CPO last year.

He was very imprressed when I showed him my gun safe and then two of the small Argos type closet safes (one for ammo and one for bolts\ mags).

Not required I know, but every little bit shows that you're playing the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I have 3 as well, large gun safe, smaller ammo safe and a smaller one again for the bolt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thats exactly right lads. If they inspect your premises and see that you not only are up to code but go beyond what is required it shows initative, security consciousness and they will pass you with flying colours, plus if it comes to re-inspection at a later date your extra measures will be noted and it may mean a quick checkover if not an immediate pass the next time. All this and more importantly your own peace of mine.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

No such thing as too much security either.
    great idea to remove the bolt and store it elsewhere.
    i have 3 safes,tall one for rifle and 2 small ones for ammo,bolts,etc.
    fo was very happy with that also.
    no harm in getting a dummy safe either and place it where ir can be seen,
    hopefully if someone broke in they would put all their effords into removing that safe and leave.
    they probably wont try and open the safe while on your property,takes too long,they have removed safes from other robberies before and opened them somewhere else.
    great little decoy.
    there are also great little cheap cctv systems around which you can fit yourself,lidl have one for 119 euros and it takes sd card so unit can be hidden.
    place one near your safes and hide the recording unit,the lidl one is pretty small and can be hidden anywhere.
    do anything to impress your fo and you cant go wrong.

Advertisement