Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training/gyms

Options
  • 15-08-2009 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Just wondering, for those of you who train in a martial art, be it thai boxing, karate, bjj, judo, kick boxing.. what ever.

How much do you pay per training session? and how often do you train?

I know the average might be around 8euro, so if your training twice a week its 16euro and its all adding up..

Compared to lets say Boxing, i train in a boxing gym and its free.
    You go, you train, you spar, and they dont look for money.

so im just wondering, if all these "MMA" gyms that are popping up are they just out to make money?
    Sure you go and train and they may be very good, im not talking about the standard of training or instruction being given, im talking about the amount of money some one must fork over to train!

Iv trained in many things and have had to pay for all of them.

this is open to every one, people who train once a week to keep fit or have an interest in it and those of you who train that bit more, and compete or move up in grades..

(and regardless or where or what you train in most places ask for a fee for insurance so)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

I think the average price of a decent MMA gym in Dublins about 80 bucks or so for a months unlimited access. Might be wrong. Most people training MMA would go about 4 times a week give or take...so it works out about €5 a class. So if your really lookin to get your moneys worth its best to train often :D.

As for the making money part, well of course, and proper order too. Most of them would have been setup off their coaches back, its their living, if their good coaches with good facilities, why shouldnt they make bucks for it?

Quite a few boxing gyms qualify for goverment grants, which is probably the reason your not paying to train...as far as I know most of the MMA gyms that have been setup around the city dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I agree with the above comment. And might I add that Training in MMA has saved me money. Before I committed to training 4+ times a week I was in the pub 3 times a week spending 30euro a night at least just out of boredom. My drinking has been cut down to once a week or two weeks. Its just not fun trying to train with a gut of beer!!:(

So you'll always get people telling you its worth it and people telling you its not but from my point of view its WELL worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

The going rate is about a fiver a class. The same cost as a dvd and a bottle of coke to go with it. and both last around the same time. There are a lot of coaches who DONT make a living out of running classes, and just do it because they enjoy it. You need to have a fairly secure business plan to ditch your job in favour of opening a gym, charging a fiver a class or 80 a month. As for boxing being free, thats another thread right there. Why arent we funded by the government, either north or south. It pretty much boils down to it not being an olympic sport. And why BJJ isnt, i have no idea. The numbers are there, internationally the standard of fighters is there, so i dont know. Maybe its because Brazil would clean up year after year after year lol, with USA in second. We should realistically look at a 10 year plan, where some of the guys who are high blue / purple might be senior grades at BJJ, and the kids who are starting now will be 18 - 24. Maybe therell be funding then. Who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭bungaro

started doing bjj in cork recently and its €8 a night, the class goes on for about 2 hours so €4 a night is pretty good and its a brilliant class and a great workout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Informed Performance (that's my gym) charge €79 per month for unlimited classes, plus unlimited strength and conditioning training, 12 hours a day 5 days a week and 8 hours on Saturday. Once we're finished training people and taking their money, we all get into our Lamborghinis and head home to our mansions.

There are some guys making their living out of running MMA, not making their fortune. Instead of doing what I do, I could be doing what I'm also qualified to do and be making more money, have a steady wage and a lot more holidays. But I don't want to do that I want to do this so I've taken a pay cut :)

GSP there said it right. One of the lads calls his €80 fees "4 pints a week" and he gets to see his abs :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I train Judo X4 per week, one class is €7- (x2) and the other is €5- (x2), so I'm spending €24- per week for (in the last number of years) my life's obsession outside of my home.

I get the impression the OP is a 'hobby player' who don's the boxing/mma (or whatever suits at the time) hat for maybe two hours per week then goes back to the normal humdrum day to day existance which would bore most of us here to tears - so he see's the price of his hobby but neglects to realise its value.

Other than saying this, it beats me why the OP made this thread :confused:

Roper wrote: »
    One of the lads calls his €80 fees "4 pints a week" and he gets to see his abs :)

LOL. Thats a good way to look at it. Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Most clubs opening these days have good intentions for the sport in this country, Good trainers who dont train more than what they know, put out fighters and promote shows. Also affiliating themselfs with more established gyms help. Sadly there are a few jumping on the bandwagon and out to make more cash. Karate and kickboxing clubs now calling their couches ''MMA blackbelts'' :confused: charging through the roof for ''MMA courses'' and make no effort to get involved in the local scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

The hourly rate for Informed Performance for me is €79 * 12 / 52 / 10 hours a week or €1.82. Thats going to change soon when i start doing the strength and conditioning up there to €1.21

Using my hourly rate Barry bought this

1222374921703.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

omen2323 wrote: »
    Compared to lets say Boxing, i train in a boxing gym and its free.
    You go, you train, you spar, and they dont look for money.

so im just wondering, if all these "MMA" gyms that are popping up are they just out to make money?

i,ve boxed since i was a small child and i've never heard of a free Boxing club, yes there is extremely cheap boxing clubs, Adults in my club where $5 a week 5 nights training a week, kids 2 euro.

Some MMA coaches are doing it out of love and some for money, nothing wrong with this as long as people are not getting screwed out of there money.
    roo1981 wrote: »
    Quite a few boxing gyms qualify for goverment grants, which is probably the reason your not paying to train...as far as I know most of the MMA gyms that have been setup around the city dont.

The reason why Boxing clubs charge very low subs is simple, the coaches dont get paid, my boxing coach raised funds in the local community by running a weekly lotto thing and putting all proceeds into the clubs account to but gear and pay for kids travelling to events and insurance etc..

Grants are few and far between anyway and would only pay for a few new bags anyway and imo profit making clubs dont deserve these and i'd even say the same about my own club in that statement.
    GSPfan wrote: »
    I agree with the above comment. And might I add that Training in MMA has saved me money. Before I committed to training 4+ times a week I was in the pub 3 times a week spending 30euro a night at least just out of boredom. My drinking has been cut down to once a week or two weeks. Its just not fun trying to train with a gut of beer!!:(

So you'll always get people telling you its worth it and people telling you its not but from my point of view its WELL worth it.

I have been told by people that they cant afford the training and i know that they go out 1-2 times a week spending anything up to 100 a night, it just shows where there priorities lie.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

agrees with the above ^^

Just on a side note....... Someone mentioned above that you get Karate and Kickboxing guys claiming to be MMA coaches. Well There's no black belt for the art of MMA so you're always gonna get Karate/Kickboxing/Boxing/JiuJitsu coaches running an MMA club. Yeah they may not be experts in all areas but who is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 omen2323

So alot of people are comparing prices and saying things like,
    one training session is the same as two pints or stuff like that but thats missing the point, if you train twice a week at 8 euro a go, thats 16euro, thats 16euro you could be saving! im a student so i dont have alot of money so 8euro a session is ALOT of money to me u see.
    I love to train and i do agree that its well worth it even if ur paying, and alot of trainers do give up alot of their free time to teach classes and dont see much in return. they are committed and they do deserve some thing. one lad said that he's getting like 1.80euro an hour so thats proves he's not doing it for the money.

My biggest point was kinda how do boxing gyms charge so little or nothing and why is mma/bjj/thai boxing so much more and some one said its government funded and i didnt know that.

I think bjj sould be in the olympics for sure, along with other martial arts

I train Judo X4 per week, one class is €7- (x2) and the other is €5- (x2), so I'm spending €24- per week for (in the last number of years) my life's obsession outside of my home.

I get the impression the OP is a 'hobby player' who don's the boxing/mma (or whatever suits at the time) hat for maybe two hours per week then goes back to the normal humdrum day to day existance which would bore most of us here to tears - so he see's the price of his hobby but neglects to realise its value.

Other than saying this, it beats me why the OP made this thread :confused:

I think i train a little bit more than that my friend,

Monday - bjj
    tuesday - boxing
    wednesday - judo/weights
    thursday - boxing
    friday - boxing
    saturday - fitness/cardio/weights
    sunday - bed

so before you make assumptions please ask and dont underestimate

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Most gym have varied, and varying, price structures.

For the record, mine is 15E a class, or 120E for 10 classes.
    There was also a 2 months for the price of 1 deal.
    And annual, unlimited access is 500E.

For what you get, IMO, it's all worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Thankfully I have full time employment and dont have to make my living coaching BJJ / MMA. As long as the rent of the premises is covered, petrol and the odd new mat etc is covered then I only ever opened the club to have somewhere covenient to train and because I enjoy teaching. We tend to complain in Ireland how much professional instruction in anything, costs. Instructors usually have to pass on the costs of insanely high industrial rents, rates, insurance and services costs to clients they also have to battle against the unwillingness of joe public to commit to training regularly and pay by direct debit. Most people want to pay by class and if thats the case they can come and go easily and the income needed to cover all the above is far harder to calculate. I would never try and open a full time gym in Ireland, people will always find money for alcohol and "the weekend" in fact some would see their kids go undernourished for that purpose. We have to have our social lives at all costs even in recession but food, health, fitness, exercise etc can take a back seat.

For what its worth Next Generation charges €50 per month unlimited training, thats 4 classes per week, 16 classes per month. (thats less than €4 euro per class) The price if you are a student or unemployed drops to €30 per month (thats less than €2 per class) A drop in class is €10 for the reasons I stated above, we want you to want to train and many people need a financial kick to get that motivation.

After the rent is paid I "clear" on average €100 - 150 per month, If I did a Leaving Cert grind I could make that in 2 hours. No one is making vast sums of money from MMA instruction in Ireland. Drink,Cigarettes and Fast food are where its at, and they could double the price of those and we would still find the money for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

Ive realised the error of my ways from drinking alcohol and going out. I now train far too much to have any real friends outside the gym. As a result i just go and buy beer at the supermarket instead :). In the future im considering getting a jack russel and using a piece of string for a lead, and finding a rickety chair to sit upon in the dark corner of my local.

(I'm actually not even sure if they HAVE locals any more. I think we did away with them due to them being uncool and lacking in sky plus/playstation)

This allows me to drink the same pint for an entire evening. That means i can train AND drink. Everyones a winner.

In conclusion, large conglomerate supermarkets are ruining the future of irish martial arts through their continued low alcohol pricing. :p

Na, i like training. I go training because its what i'd rather do that sit and watch eastenders and get middle aged awfully quickly. For five quid a night, thats more than worth it. I could drink 2 pints in a lot less than an hour and a half, therefore making bjj better value for money. Also, my dad told me once that the best way to maintain a healthy relationship with your significant other is to see each other as little as possible. ;)

Thats a very good system! 30euro a month for training for a student/unemployed is very good value.

Advertisement