Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helmet damage

• 15-08-2009 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Quick question guys, i'm kinda new to this forum, been lurking for a while, i'm 2 years riding a yammy ybr125, and i've been taking in a good bit of the advice on here.
    But anyway the question, i was at a party last night, was good fun, i drove my bike over, and i had 2 helmets with me. Some of the lads wanted to try it on, as people do and they started headbutting each other for a bit, nothing too extensive.
    But then today when i was riding home today, i noticed a cracking noise from inside the helmet, like an eggshell cracking very slowly, it was pretty consistant at high speeds(high for me, 80-100kph), it may have been there the whole time, and i'm only noticing it cause i'm paranoid, just wanna ease my concerns, hope you guys can help :)

xios

//edit*
    The helmet i'm using is a Caberg (trip) it has an openable face guard, with an internal tinted visor that's adjustable. I got it at the rds bike show, seemed a good deal at the time, is this a good brand?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My motto is treat your helmet as gently as you would your head. If there is any doubt over the condition of your lid, sling it. The risk aint worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Thanks oryx for the reply, but the reason i'm asking is to be fairly certain i need to replace it, cause it was 150 euro for the helmet, i can't afford to be spending that much money on a new one at the moment, but in future, i'm just gonna tell people to gtfo of my ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

ive the same 1 as u mate i get the same noise aswell in mine

i dont tink its any risk at all

it might be ur visor is a bit loose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Your helmet seems to be a fairly budget one retailing at £100. I'm not saying theres anything wrong with that-all helmets must meet minimum EU standards and it has a v. good UK test rating http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/search/results/?sort=manufacturer&dir=asc&manufacturer=12&model=3bafa8fb494ef34d5360e2ec1d38e2b4&type=0&rating=0&size=0&price=0&x=35&y=1

However I don't think its feasible to expect it to last as long as say a €400/€500 lid. But hey maybe I'm wrong

Thanks no scope, you lifted a little worry from my mind, i'll have a look at the visor, see if can find out what's wrong, and let you know so you can sort yours out.
    Iseethelight, i'd absolutely prefer to buy a top of the range lid, but i can't afford it now, but once i sort out some income for myself in the near future, i'm upgrading to a spiffy FZR6 (maybe restricted if i don't have my licence by then) and i'm gonna upgrade all my gear, i'm thinking 1,000-1,500 on a decent set of leathers and helmet. Any recommendations of helmets? similar to the one i have at the moment, but of better build quality, and safer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

You get very good Shark helmets in the €150 price range. I would change that helmet as soon as possible, especially if you are doing 80-100kph frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mr chips

You need a new lid. Both of the ones you had are now as reliable in terms of your safety as a polystyrene cup.

Your lesson "Why not to let your mates play stupid games with your helmet" has cost you approx 150 euro for the helmet you're worried about, as well as whatever the other one cost. Unless your mates are willing to recompense you for the loss, it's up to you whether you think that was money well spent.

Oryx is absolutely right. If your helmet even falls from the table onto the floor, you need to replace it - that was one of the first things my instructor taught me some years ago. Regardless of the cost, it's not as much as what it will cost you to have an accident wearing a lid that doesn't protect your head properly. Unless you think your head isn't worth 150 yoyos ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

mr chips wrote: »
    You need a new lid. Both of the ones you had are now as reliable in terms of your safety as a polystyrene cup.

Your lesson "Why not to let your mates play stupid games with your helmet" has cost you approx 150 euro for the helmet you're worried about, as well as whatever the other one cost. Unless your mates are willing to recompense you for the loss, it's up to you whether you think that was money well spent.

Oryx is absolutely right. If your helmet even falls from the table onto the floor, you need to replace it - that was one of the first things my instructor taught me some years ago. Regardless of the cost, it's not as much as what it will cost you to have an accident wearing a lid that doesn't protect your head properly. Unless you think your head isn't worth 150 yoyos ...

+1 on that one

Your gear is your life

Which is more important to ya, saved money or a saved life?

mr chips wrote: »
    If your helmet even falls from the table onto the floor, you need to replace it - that was one of the first things my instructor taught me some years ago. Regardless of the cost, it's not as much as what it will cost you to have an accident wearing a lid that doesn't protect your head properly. Unless you think your head isn't worth 150 yoyos ...

Just gonna take a little issue on this. I remember a few years ago seeing a report in ride magazine where they tested helmets dropping them empty from heights from bike seat height to head height. Guees what? Their protective abilities were not even slightly affected. In the OP's case though the helmets were being worn by people so I would replace them.

Check this out from snell an independent pro helmet tester in the US.

Direct quote from their website
    I dropped my helmet! Do I have to go buy a new one?
    Generally the answer is probably not. Helmets are one use items, but are quite durable otherwise, at least the ones we certify. Frequent dropping or spiking a helmet on the ground, or other hard surfaces may eventually degrade the helmet's performance. Similarly if the helmet falls to the ground at highway speeds unoccupied the owner must be aware that some degradation may have occurred. In general the real damage comes when the helmet contacts an object with a head inside. The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, that you avoid hitting stuff with your head. It can be difficult to readily determine if a helmet has been damaged, and the protective capabilities compromised without a thorough inspection by a trained professional. Some manufacturers may provide this service or direct you to these others that can perform these inspections. The Foundation recommends that if you suspect your helmet may be compromised, then replace it. If the helmet has been involved in an impact while in use, replace it.

http://www.smf.org/
    Some good interesting other stuff about helmets on their site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mr chips

Just gonna take a little issue on this. I remember a few years ago seeing a report in ride magazine where they tested helmets dropping them empty from heights from bike seat height to head height. Guees what? Their protective abilities were not even slightly affected.

I'm genuinely interested in seeing that research - how it was carried out, how they measured the effectiveness of the helmets before and especially after being dropped. Have you any link?
    In the OP's case though the helmets were being worn by people so I would replace them.
    Yep, worth highlighting this in case any debate about dropped helmets distracts from this point.
    Frequent dropping or spiking a helmet on the ground, or other hard surfaces may eventually degrade the helmet's performance. Similarly if the helmet falls to the ground at highway speeds unoccupied the owner must be aware that some degradation may have occurred.

Have to admit, this sounds a bit vague to me - I see it and think, what is "eventually" to them, what is "some" degradation? The way I look at it, when it's my life, or perhaps the prospect of permanent "survival" disability such as blindness, the inability to make new memories, inability to use my limbs properly, inability to speak ... I'd rather put my trust in a helmet I KNOW hasn't been compromised.
    ... The Foundation recommends that if you suspect your helmet may be compromised, then replace it. If the helmet has been involved in an impact while in use, replace it.
    Again, good advice, worth highlighting.

• Advertisement

Mr chips
    Unfortunately the ride mag test was a few years ago as far as I'm aware its not on the internet and as I was off bikes a couple of years I discarded my collection however as I recall it was pretty scientific. It involved lab tests and such like. Besides they could harl publish such results without proper independent testing.
    Regarding the snell advice the part you highlighted said frequent dropping or spiking of a helmet. In my opinion if you dropped it once or twice I wouldn't replace it but I wouldn't go throwing it on the ground every day expecting it to save you.
    How often would you guys replace a non damaged/dropped helmet. I've seen 5 years recommended but if you haven't used it for a couple would you go longer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

wtf is spiking a helmet?

Helmet I have now is grand. I was using one that was bent outta shape and dented. I used to get bored and pick off the outer plastic by the dent and still use it. My head is only worth about 50 anyways. Take out me piercings and its worth bout 5 lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

seanybiker wrote: »
    wtf is spiking a helmet?

it's one of the American SNELL tests where they stab the helmet with a spike and determine how far the spike goes into the helmet.

What has resulted from this test is a specific version of helmets made for the US market with extra strong outer shells to resist the spike.

The question you have to ask is how does this reflect reality - the answer of course is it doesn't.

The downsides of very strong (hard) outer shells is the greater transfer of wind noise, and worse, the bouncing of a helmet on impact as opposed to deforming (which is what the EU/Japan tests require). Deforming is preferable as impact forces are dispersed rather than transmitted.

As regards the OP's helmet problems (:eek:), I fail to see how a creaking is apparent only at the "higher" speeds and not demonstratable by pressing on it. Surely if the wind can make it creak, a hand can too.

I suspect an out of place visor rather than a compromised helmet but do not take my advice on this - test it yourself and form an opinion. If you believe it to be okay then it is if you can make it creak with it off, then replace it - whatever the cost it is less than (potentially) your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ah right cheers for that. Mate has a really old simpson lid. Never uses it cos its illegal. Bloody thing bounces .

thanks guys for all the replies, i'll see about getting it checked, but i feel it to be ok, cause there's not even a dent or tiniest of cracks on the outer shell, but then again, it could be the internal one that's damaged.
    Some good advice on this thread, hope other people read it in the future, could be a good reference. especially that helmet rating site.

Advertisement