Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Withdrawing €6000 in cash

Options
  • 15-08-2009 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi,

I am an AIB customer with a current account. I am planning on buying a car privately next Monday or Tuesday. I want to take out €6000 in cash - will this be fine without any prearrangement?

Also how do most people pay when buying a car privately - 6k is a lot of notes to be havin your pocket!!

Any advice would be great thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Did the same with 12k a couple of years ago. Just needed photo ID and they provided the money on demand.

Though maybe you should ring ahead and see if they have 6k in the safe. :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

A lot of people pay in cash, especially these days. As eman66 said, make sure you bring photo ID. I'd also recommend phoning ahead to say you're coming in for that amount. If it's first thing in the morning, they might not be able to give you that amount of cash on demand, so call first and they'll let you know for sure. Also when you go into the branch, you'll probably need to go to the customer service desk first to get the withdrawal authorised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Have you already made a deal on the price of the car? If not do not tell the seller how much you have in your pocket or thats exactly how much the car is going to cost you. Maybe but 5000 in an envelope or what you think the car can be bought for and show him this during negetion. This could save you a few bob. If the sale price is already agreed then a bankers draft for that amount is what Iv done in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Also 500euro notes will make it less bulky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

alot of people won't touch 500euro notes. or 200euro notes for that matter. Too unfamiliar. Usually only the banks will accept them without hassle.
    I got out 10,000euro a while back in 50euro notes and it was not bulky at all. 2 x 5000euro bundles. less than 1cm thick each.
    Don't tell anyone you are getting this cash form the bank obviously, and put it in an envelope at the counter before you walk off.
    Also, I would ring ahead and tell them when you will be there so they can precount it and be prepared. They will count it again in front of you, but at least it won't take as long as if they have no notice etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

A bank draft should do the trick.

Advertisement