Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Male Stereotype, pressures associated with it and consequences

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Male stereotype and fighting. You bulk out in your early twenties and if you are able to handle stuff you do. I was in one streetfight at that age and it was down to attitude. There is no knowing though when you will meet someone who is pure evil and will go the distance no matter what.

IMO as you get older you wise up and pick better places to go to because you can afford them. You dont want to be in a place full of w***ers.

So you stay away from situations not cos you are not capable or tough but because you can. There are better ways to impress a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

drinking culture, there's pressure out there for young fellas to get absolutely mashed. I didn't start drinking until I was 17 and people thought I was nuts. Huge pressure on people to drink, and not just to drink, but to drink to excess. I was literally forced into having a drink by my mates when i was 17.

i know not everyone would be in the same boat as me, but to drink or not to drink, there shouldn't be any pressure associated with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Agreed. It's a load of cack. I can't handle my drink any more anyway. Christ I'd hate to get into rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Agree about the drink, I started drinking at 22 and now at 29 I'm considering giving it up. I never drank much anyway but I really hate feeling drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Khannie wrote: »
    Agreed. It's a load of cack. I can't handle my drink any more anyway. Christ I'd hate to get into rounds.

Rounds? What about the costs of dating and buying drinks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I like football, wrestling, toilet humour, action films, hard rock/metal, would have sex with any woman decent looking (maybe :p) and i found it impossible to talk about my feelings or the details of sex with a girl or my friends. I like eating lots (although only coz im really thin), not that bothered by hygiene and wear the same clothes 2-3 days in a row (lazyness).

None of this is down to pressure its just the way i am; those are my interests and lifestyle habits.

All the feminine habits or interests or either boring or too much work so they are easy to avoid without pressurising myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Will wrote: »
    drinking culture, there's pressure out there for young fellas to get absolutely mashed. I didn't start drinking until I was 17 and people thought I was nuts. Huge pressure on people to drink, and not just to drink, but to drink to excess. I was literally forced into having a drink by my mates when i was 17.

i know not everyone would be in the same boat as me, but to drink or not to drink, there shouldn't be any pressure associated with it

Thats not restricted to men, looking around me there is just as much pressure to drink on young women, if not more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I'm a 24 year old inner city Dublin man who never minces his words. I'm big, muscled and mean looking. I'm an engineer by trade and spend years as a chippie on building sites with my father learning trades like plastering, carpentry, brick work, roofing ect ect. I spend my evenings on a mat fighting other similar built men in re-enactment of primal contests. I'm fiercely protecting of those I care about.

On the flip side, I like boys.
    tallaght01 wrote: »
    I remember the day I became a man. I was about 19 and working in a takeaway. This guy came in and he was bollock drunk, causing lots of trouble. He was a scrawny guy in his 40s. Tiny little skanger. I asked him to leave and he did. 2 minutes later he came back and demanded an apology from me. He squared up to me and told me he was gonna make me a cripple if I didn't apologise. The place was packed and everyone stopped to look. He said he was only going to leave when I said I was sorry...

It takes balls to stand up for yourself and even more balls to walk away when you know you don't have to. It's been eight years since my last fight and I still don't have the type of courage you showed at 19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I guess I would take after my father in alot of ways, though not conciously. He was softly spoken, quiet alot of the time and good with his hands, and I would have those traits. However, unlike him, I'd be less muscular and "tough"

I don't talk about feelings or things that bother me, I keep them to myself. Have been told by people that I have a poker face and it's hard for them to judge what I'm thinking. Pity I don't play poker-might be handy.:pac:

I would be fairly competant when it comes to DIY/general household maintanance and would know enough to repair my own car. Would watch the occasional GAA game (from Kerry), but don't play. I would be into hiking, fencing, occasional gym goer...nothing too taxing though.:pac:

Rarely drink, don't dance/can't dance, so that bit of manliness cancels out the rarely drink part, I don't know.:pac: Never been in a fight either...never had reason to be in one. Nobody bothers me.

I'm a bit of a technophobe. When my phone broke earlier this week, I stamped on it with my foot until it turned back on again. Laptop suffered a worse fate. My brother says I'm a rooter and tearer, which is where I differ from him and my father-both very competant with mechanical things since both are/were mechanics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement