Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Hotel help!

Options
  • 15-08-2009 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Booking a hotel in Galway, I want to know is it possible to walk from the Westwood Hotel into the town center, How long would it take and is it a safe route?

Im stuck between choosing the Park House hotel or the Westwood, Park house is €25 more but its in the center, would i end up spending that 25 on taxis anyways?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Galwaydogs

I wouldn't recommend a female walk from the Westwood into the town centre on her own at night. Also, on a really rainy night, it's not very pleasant in the West of Ireland.

You'd be in the thick of everything in Park House. Westwood is just a tad on the margins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Park House is plush. Pricey though as you've probably seen.

And Park House is very central. As are:

Spanish Arch Hotel
    Jurys
    The House Hotel

You can't get more central than those 3.

Plus they're cheaper than the 2 you are contemplating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

for the €25 you will prob spend it on taxis if its a wet visit to galway. so consider if you would be better off right in the city centre at park house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 notahopeinhell

Would probably take 15/20 mins to walk from centre of town to Westwood, it's a fairly safe route but I would never advise anyone to walk it alone. Much handier to stay in Park House, I don't know how noisy the hotel itself gets at night though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Park house or Jury's inn, as central as you get without paying to much.Definitely will spend a lot on taxi's from Westwood, plus the possible waiting for one late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Park House is on a street with lots of late bars and a rather rowdy night club.

Other central hotels:
    . Imperial,
    . Victoria,
    . The Western,
    . Jurys Inn,
    . Meyrick,
    . Radisson,
    . Harbour,
    . Skeffington Arms,
    . Foster Court,
    . House Hotel,

In hindsight, if you get a room not facing the street in Park House, then you should get a good nights sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Yeah. There are loads of hotels in city centre that should be even cheaper than Westwood. It is a long walk into city from Westwood in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

.... it's a fairly safe route but I would never advise anyone to walk it alone.

I do hope you meant "I would never advise anyone to walk it alone late at night". I'd agree with that (for anyone, male or female), but surely it's fine in the daytime/early-evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

WOW lots of feedback above, thanks guys, Ended up booking the Park House Hotel, Jurys Inn was 10 euro more and the Park House looked nicer tbh. Alot of the hotels listed above were 'booked out' on the 22nd...

Again thanks guys for everything,

Might see ye out in Galway on the 22nd :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement