Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh ricotta cheese?

Options
  • 15-08-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Anybody have an idea as to where I might get fresh ricotta cheese?

I've tried the following places:
    • Fallon & Byrne
    • Sheridan's Cheesemongers on South Anne Street
    • Carluccio's
    • Dunne & Crescenzi's
    • Donnybrook Fair
    • Magills on Chatham Street
    I even tried calling a few Italian restaurants but they were no help at all.

Thanks a mill

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You can make it handily yourself, there's an easy recipe here, just make sure to use good quality milk, yoghurt and cream. For the latter two, Fallon & Byrne do sell "Glenilen" dairy products; their yoghurt and cream are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 schlep

Thanks MM

I will definitely try that out in future

S

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

You can make it handily yourself, there's an easy recipe here, just make sure to use good quality milk, yoghurt and cream. For the latter two, Fallon & Byrne do sell "Glenilen" dairy products; their yoghurt and cream are excellent.

sorry but that one is not ricotta, "ricotta" is an italian term that means "cooked twice", it is made, ricotta is made from the whey (which is what is left when you made the cheese) not from standard milk (or cream or yogurt(!!!)). The whey has to be cooked again and acid citric will be added (usually some drops of lemon juice) so it set. The wikipedia page about ricotta is pretty informative:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricotta

The recipe you posted could be useful to made some sort of fresh cheese, but that one is definitely not ricotta. Anyway, the best ricotta comes from sheep's milk, but that one is a different story =) I've always found that the ricotta made from cow milk is tasteless.

To answer the question of this post: I'm pretty sure tha the best thing is to find a farmer who produces milk and cheese and ask him to made the ricotta from the whey (after he'd made his own cheese). Be careful because it's a really delicate cheese and it has to be eaten on the same day (at most the day after) otherwise it tends to become acid.

Thanks for clearing that up! I can see now why it would be so difficult to get it fresh. The recipe I posted would seem to be closer to quark than ricotta in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 schlep

Thanks Antonio and MM

I had heard that it is pretty hard to get proper fresh ricotta in Ireland cos it goes off so quickly but I was hoping someone might know where I could get some

I think I will try your recipe next time MM even if it's not strictly ricotta hopefully it might have more taste than the the stuff out of the plastic tubs you get in the supermarket

S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

avoca have it too

• Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

Thanks for clearing that up! I can see now why it would be so difficult to get it fresh. The recipe I posted would seem to be closer to quark than ricotta in this case.

Hi,
    Do you know where I can buy quark in Dublin. I have some great German recipes which use this ingredient. I did manage to buy some in Asda in Enniskillen, but haven't come across it in Dublin. Any suggestions welcome, this is a great low fat food and I am doing my best to shed a couple of pounds.

They should sell it in the Polish/Lithuanian/Hungarian shops around Dublin. It's "twaróg" in Polish and "túró" in Hungarian. There's a Polish shop on North Earl St., Hungarian shop about 50m left of the Cineworld cinema on Parnell St., and they also sell it in the Lithuanian shop in Moore St. Mall, where you can get it in varying fat % percentages. Don't know about any eastern/central european shops on the south side though.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

They should sell it in the Polish/Lithuanian/Hungarian shops around Dublin. It's "twaróg" in Polish and "túró" in Hungarian. There's a Polish shop on North Earl St., Hungarian shop about 50m left of the Cineworld cinema on Parnell St., and they also sell it in the Lithuanian shop in Moore St. Mall, where you can get it in varying fat % percentages. Don't know about any eastern/central european shops on the south side though.

Thanks - I will try these shops. The various translations helps.
    Happy Christmas

Advertisement