If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want a 2.1 system which will be upgradable to 5.1

Options
  • 15-08-2009 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi,

I'm considering getting a surround system for watching films (which are mostly from sky+ HD) which would need to include an optical in from the sky box. I would like to initially just get a 2.1 system and then add a centre and rear left and right at a later date. The system should be as upgradeable as possible.

My budget for the 2.1 system would be €1000 but it is flexible.

Have you guys got anything that would fit the bill?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi,

I'm considering getting a surround system for watching films (which are mostly from sky+ HD) which would need to include an optical in from the sky box. I would like to initially just get a 2.1 system and then add a centre and rear left and right at a later date. The system should be as upgradeable as possible.

My budget for the 2.1 system would be €1000 but it is flexible.

Have you guys got anything that would fit the bill?

Shadow,

Wow - €1000 you will get a really nice system for that - can I ask what type of speakers are you looking for - Satelllites or can you take bookshelf / floorstanders at the front?

If you can come back to me I'll do a quote by return,

Thanks for thinking of us,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 theshadow2001

johnmc wrote: »
    Shadow,

Wow - €1000 you will get a really nice system for that - can I ask what type of speakers are you looking for - Satelllites or can you take bookshelf / floorstanders at the front?

If you can come back to me I'll do a quote by return,

Thanks for thinking of us,

ATB,

John Mc

I would like floor standers at the front or book shelf on stands. I don't want anything that would be permanently mounted as I will likely move from place to place in the future.

I don't want to over spend on this as currently the room isn't a great layout for surround sound and I feel an excellent system would be wasted in a bad room, so I'm open to stuff on budget and stuff that's a bit cheaper too.

Hopefully you can come back with some recommendations and we can arrange a time in the future to get a listen to what you have available.

I would like floor standers at the front or book shelf on stands. I don't want anything that would be permanently mounted as I will likely move from place to place in the future.

I don't want to over spend on this as currently the room isn't a great layout for surround sound and I feel an excellent system would be wasted in a bad room, so I'm open to stuff on budget and stuff that's a bit cheaper too.

Hopefully you can come back with some recommendations and we can arrange a time in the future to get a listen to what you have available.

Shadow,

apologies for the delay in getting back to you - Ok here are a few ideas to start:

Denon AVR1910
    Monitor Audio Bronze Reference 5 Floorstanders
    Monitor Audio BRW10 Subwoofer

I guess the normal UK retail of this system would be about £1200 Sterling - I can do the package at just EURO €1069.99

If you wanted to save a few yoyo and still bag an excellent system - you could have a look at this:

Onkyo TXSR607

Kef IQ5 Floorstanders
    Mosscade Titan Subwoofer
    €899.99

these are just a few of the ideas - if any of them interest you just drop me a line -alternatively please just drop me a line if we can assist in any way!

Thanks again,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Just to pitch in that the iQ5's are excellent speakers.

John

Thanks for your response. The next question that comes to mind is what will 2 recommended rear speakers and a centre speaker for those two systems come to?

If its not crazy expensive I may be able to get the lot in one go.

• Advertisement

John,

Do you have any of this stuff in stock or will it have to be brought in from a UK shop

John,

Do you have any of this stuff in stock or will it have to be brought in from a UK shop

The Shadow,

apologies for the delay in getting back to you!

Oh God - if only we just brought everything in from the UK - unfortunately we have a large warehouse packed to the gills with stock - however it is always the wrong colour/flavour/finish and we end up having to order anyway every week :rolleyes:

If we don't have a unit in stock we can usually get it in from our bigger cousins seriously large warehouse within a week max - our main deliveries are normally Friday so Friday is a seriously busy nasty day!

Thanks again and I'm going to answer your earlier query in about 2 mins,

ATB,

John Mc

John

Thanks for your response. The next question that comes to mind is what will 2 recommended rear speakers and a centre speaker for those two systems come to?

If its not crazy expensive I may be able to get the lot in one go.

Shadow, again apologies for taking so long to get this quote out to you.

Ok if you were going for the option including:

Denon AVR1910
    Monitor Audio BR5
    Monitor Audio BRW10

I would add the Monitor Audio BR LCR Centre and ideally the BRFX rears to add these two speaker would add €349.99 to the overall system price to give you a total price of €1419 - lets say €1399.99!

If you were going for the alternative system:

Onkyo TXSR606
    Kef IQ5
    Mosscade Titan Sub

I would add the KEF IQ1 and again the Monitor Audio BRLCR at an additional €319.99 to give you a total of €1199.99 (I know - I knocked another €20 off!) ;)

Hope this is not 'crazy expensive' and we can do a deal on a complete package for you.

ATB,

John Mc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.