Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The DIP, Religion and the Lash

• 15-08-2009 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Heya folks,

I applied to do the Dip last year but was rejected as I fell two points short. I was not it must be said,a very focused College student. My subjects are English and French.
    Since then I have moved to Germany and have been teaching English as a foreign language on a part time basis. Do these teaching hours count and will they be considered in my new application? Do any extra ciricular qualifications count,coaching badges in Gaa etc etc?
    If not, and I dont get in again what are my options? I know there is a two year part time course in Dcu,are Hibernian at any stage planning on introducing an online Secondary School Dip or does an equivalent?
    I was also told that getting a qualification to teach religion was a good idea?
    Where can I do this? Is there an online option as will be in Germany for the next year give or take.
    Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

One last thing I am now 24. Is this considered old to be starting on the teaching road or could it be frowned upon by employers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Definitly wont be frowned upon by employers.
    Extra cirricular activities dont count towards the dip unfortunetly. I doubt very much that tefl in Germany will.
    If you are really serious about getting into teaching here, the best thing to do is get teaching practice here. Even for the sake of job interviews. You have to have experience. Very few people get the dip first time around so you could be lucky enough to get it next year.
    I'm an irish teacher and my 2nd degree subject is religion. You have to do a degree in religion to qualify to teach it and do a dip in it. You're not qualified to teach it with a cert or diploma!
    Hope i've answered some of your questions.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

hi,

As far as I know you can add religion to your subjects by doing a part time course in Maynooth - see http://www.maynoothcollege.ie/courses/diplomas/hdiptheo.shtml [voluntary secondary school ]

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Thank you very much for your responses. That was what I feared,ie there is no way of adding to my points if I am not in Ireland or available to do a course there within the next twelve months. Is there no online courses at all (clutching at straws here!) Is this the last year that teaching hours are considered or is that no longer the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

jbravado wrote: »
    Thank you very much for your responses. That was what I feared,ie there is no way of adding to my points if I am not in Ireland or available to do a course there within the next twelve months. Is there no online courses at all (clutching at straws here!) Is this the last year that teaching hours are considered or is that no longer the case?

Its not the last year that teaching hours are considered. There are currently no online courses for the hdip and I would hate to ever see one to be honest. The hdip is a very stressful intense year. You might get it this year though. Just dont turn it down if you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

TEFL abroad DOES count, as long as you are the sole teacher (i.e. classroom assistant doesn't count) and you have 4+ students in your classroom (i.e. grinds don't count). You will need to provide official confirmation of your teaching hours from your school in Germany.

24 is young. My life experience stood to me in finding a job. No harm in waiting a year or a few to see how many, if any, jobs will exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Yeah fingers crossed I get in this year. I have heard whispers re an online Dip for seondary school teaching but is almost certainly just idle gossip.I know from teaching myself,and thats with people who actually want to be there how much stress is involved and dont see how an online course could really prepare you for a classroom enviroment. Thanks for all the advice folks. If I dont get in my next application the coming year Ill just have to do some nonsense masters or spend a year subbing to see if its really for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 lena-bell

a friend of mine is doing the Hibernia Primary Teaching course and finds it great the main problems she is having is with the administration.

My hours teaching on the JET Programme in Japan were counted for me to get into the PGDE but I heard recently that teaching experience is being taken out of the points system next year, I don't if this is true though.

Advertisement