Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grove, Roslevin

• 15-08-2009 6:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭

Anyone hear that it's closing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

GKidd wrote: »
    Anyone hear that it's closing?

Heard it a few weeks ago but didnt believe the rumour. Will be a big loss if its true, its a lovely place for food and a pint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

It isn't closing, it is just changing hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

branie wrote: »
    It isn't closing, it is just changing hands
    With who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Whats her name is still haunting the place... especially in Costcutter, I hear that people working there feel a "presence" e.g. stuff falling off shelves for no reason, door creaking open when they should be shut and just a general grudge left in that whole area... what could I be on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭croker95

With who?

Rumor has it the last guy fell foul of the Revenue !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Heard the same thing about the Brewery, same guy owns The Grove

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

With who?
    the people who have durty nellies are after taking over the grove and the brewery

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

The Lynes's own the brewery and have a share in the roslevan shopping centre .
    They had the Brewery and the Grove leased out to the same person,They have pulled some managerial staff fron Nellies to keep the show on the road. The Grove served some very good food but never took off as a drinking establishment.The design and decor of the Brewery i think ,speaks for itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

eddiehobbs wrote: »
    Heard it a few weeks ago but didnt believe the rumour. Will be a big loss if its true, its a lovely place for food and a pint

LOL - if you like drinking at a train-station. I've seen better pubs at airports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Mmmm..their veggie noodles are fab :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Whats her name is still haunting the place... especially in Costcutter

Who ?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cushla

exiot wrote: »
    Heard the same thing about the Brewery, same guy owns The Grove

Ya Justin O'Driscoll had both pubs leased. Didn't know it was from the Lynes. Now Maurice Walshe from Dirty Nellys is running them. He used to be a manager in the queens so the Lynes connection makes sense. He has kept the same staff:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭croker95

Cushla wrote: »
    Ya Justin O'Driscoll had both pubs leased. Didn't know it was from the Lynes. Now Maurice Walshe from Dirty Nellys is running them. He used to be a manager in the queens so the Lynes connection makes sense. He has kept the same staff:o

Packie Vaughan and Noel Connellan own the Brewery.
    Not sure about the Grove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Whats her name is still haunting the place... especially in Costcutter, I hear that people working there feel a "presence" e.g. stuff falling off shelves for no reason, door creaking open when they should be shut and just a general grudge left in that whole area... what could I be on about?

Biddy Earley !:D

On a more serious note I believe there was there a lady murdered there in the 80's? Is this what your on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Denise Cox was murdered in the front car park in the early 80s.
    Justin O Driscoll ran the Grove and thge Brewery but for various reasons had to relinquish control , he rented them from the Lyne/Connellan/ Vaughan consortium. The Grove is still open for business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭fergusman

The Lynes's own the brewery and have a share in the roslevan shopping centre .
    They had the Brewery and the Grove leased out to the same person,They have pulled some managerial staff fron Nellies to keep the show on the road. The Grove served some very good food but never took off as a drinking establishment.The design and decor of the Brewery i think ,speaks for itself.

the lynes definitely dont own any part in the brewery, but they are involved in roslevan.
    Noel connelan and packie vaughan have owned the brewery for years and had leased it to justin (who i believe also paid for the renovation).
    The Brewery would have been better off if they didnt touch it, probably spent too much on the renovation....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

What would I do without you lot? :D
    I only live in Clare for 11 years, the first three in Ennis. But you all are a source of local knowledge and interesting gossip (in a nice way)!
    At least I don't need to wonder anymore with "what happened to..." That includes the "character" threads, too.
    Thanks!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The problem with all the bars on Abbey Street is the shops are far too narrow to make good bars however much money you spend doing them up. The Library is sort of alright because there's a bit of outside space for people to overflow into.

I generally can't abide a bar where you can't smoke and drink at the same time so that narrows the selection of them I find tolerable considerably. Smokers generally avoid The Brewery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I had Sunday lunch in The Grove a few times - thought it was pretty good and value for money. Place was very busy on both occasions.

But as a drinking venue, The Grove is too far out of town to get anything other than the Roslevan crowd who want a few pints and walk home after. Not many are going to start there, then move on into town and nightclub etc.

As a owner-operated business it would probably run fine, but the business isn't there so far outside the town to justify what are by all accounts exorbitant rents.

That's my tuppence worth....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Oddly enough the Brewary and The Grove both have a bad thing in common... a young woman was murdered in each place and they both worked in them

• Advertisement
Advertisement