Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash Difuser

• 15-08-2009 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone recommend a good place to get a difuser for my flash?
    id like to buy one non-online if possible! I don't want to just stick a milk bottle over the top!

Anyway, its a Sunpak 888AFZ

5027301_1.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

go into Gunns with the Flash and they will sort you out, they have a few multi fit ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Simplicius wrote: »
    go into Gunns with the Flash and they will sort you out, they have a few multi fit ones

Yeah I'll try that, cheers.
    Do you know roughly how much it would cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Tallon wrote: »
    Yeah I'll try that, cheers.
    Do you know roughly how much it would cost?

no idea but less than €50. A friend was in there this week looking for one of those joby gorilla-pod clamps and told me they were cheaper than pixmania for same item by around €15. plus they won't sell you a turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

A Stofen branded one will set you back about €30 from what I remember. They don't diffuse light though, just make it omni directional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It'll soften the light as well as making it bounce out in all directions - I think they're about 24 in Gunn's - Cheaper than Conn's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

You won't get much softening from one of those Omni-Bounce things. They basically turn your flash into a bare bulb. The light from it will be less intense than the focused light of the directional flash. For diffusion, bigger and closer is usually better. You could try one of those LumiQuest bounce things. The 80-20 (80% to Celing and 20% to fill shadows) or Quick bounce might do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Fajitas! wrote: »
    It'll soften the light as well as making it bounce out in all directions - I think they're about 24 in Gunn's - Cheaper than Conn's.

Hi,

just checking, are we talking about one of these?:
    Sto-Fen-Omnibounce.jpg
    €24? It's just a piece of injection moulded plastic, right?

Looking on Ebay I couldn't see the exact one, but certainly there are other Sunpak diffusers for €5-8. Even with shipping it has to be cheaper than €24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

pixbyjohn wrote: »

Perfect, cheers

...and their the irish colours :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

You could simply use a small rectangle of white cotton, fold it over the front of the flash, fold the corners about 1 inch neatly around the outside edge and roll white insulation tape around it a few times to give it slight firmness, it can easily be taken off and put back on.
    The cross weave from the cotton gives great diffusion, as good as any commercial diffuser and it doesent look gimmicky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I got one of these for my SB-600 ....less than a fiver.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

found this yesterday
    http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/diylighting

halfway down the page they show you hot to make flash diffusers out of perspex. you can prob get off-cuts for free that sign shops normally throw out.
    u need a heat source to mold them into shape after cutting them into size and shape needed

Ok guys, I know it's easy to make one of these thing, but I don't want a piece of paper or ball of cotton wool or milk carton bottle. I'm really just looking to buy one
    Look at the OP!

EDIT: I appreciate your help though

the perspex ones will last tho, its not flimsy and wont break. its a strong material, thats why they use it for shop signs. it also happens to give excellent results for bouncing light

image015.jpg

image013.jpg

yes but they don't look professional, they look like lumps of perspex stuck to the top!!

Tallon wrote: »
    yes but they don't look professional, they look like lumps of perspex stuck to the top!!

do u need it for paid work?

Yep :)

Advertisement