Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duff agrees terms with Fulham

• 15-08-2009 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

Heard this around five. Duff has agreed terms with Fulham. A good move?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Yep, good for us, Duff playing in the Prem was essential in a World Cup year. Good for Fulham as Duff and Dempsey provides good width. Not so good for Newcastle although they seem to be coping ok judging by their great win today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Great move for duffer.

Hopefully himself and Ste Kelly will get a good amount of game time for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Hoefully another thread will be started when he's completed the medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Good news for Duff and Ireland if the move goes through. Newcastle at the min can't be good for any players morale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Good news for Duff and Ireland if the move goes through. Newcastle at the min can't be good for any players morale.

article-0-014691F300001005-374_468x458.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Good to see Duff get a move back to Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Yep important from an Irish point of view that we have as many players as possible in the top flight. Good move for Duffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

If he manages to stay fit it will be good for Fulham.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Good stuff, good move for him. Hunt and Duff in the EPL in a WC season. We needed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

CHD wrote: »
    Good stuff, good move for him. Hunt and Duff in the EPL in a WC season. We needed that.

defo!

ireland will kick ass in all those friendlies in june while the other teams prepare for their world cup campaigns :p

• Advertisement

We are going to get to the final obv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Charlie wrote: »
    Hoefully another thread will be started when he's completed the medical.
    why put up another thread. just continue discussion on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Great news. The only thing is that the sounds coming from Roy Hodgson say that he will be a squad player to start off with and that he is there to 'make it uncomfortable for those who have shirts already'.

Still though, Fulham have enjoyed great success recently so he can hardly expect to walk right in.

why put up another thread. just continue discussion on this one.
    Good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Good idea.

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Definitely one of Newcastle's worst ever Premiership signings. Not half the player he was at Blackburn or Chelsea, don't know why people still rate him. Average at best these days. Would have been handy in The Championship but really couldn't give a fúck now that he's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

kinaldo wrote: »
    Definitely one of Newcastle's worst ever Premiership signings. Not half the player he was at Blackburn or Chelsea, don't know why people still rate him. Average at best these days. Would have been handy in The Championship but really couldn't give a fúck now that he's gone.

Surely not when you consider some of the shysters that the Toon have signed over recent years!

Surely not when you consider some of the shysters that the Toon have signed over recent years!
    For his wages and transfer fee combined with his dismal record he'd probably make the top 5 list.

For his wages and transfer fee combined with his dismal record he'd probably make the top 5 list.
    Luque, Boumsong, Marcelino, Viana, Guivarc’h, Tomasson, Bramble and Owen maybe were probably worse no?

For the 5m he cost him? Are you forgetting about Owen? Barton? Boumsong?
    God there must be loads more!

Anyway, whilst theres no doubt he is not as good as he was I think the above quote is completely OTT. Watch your country play more often and it may help explain why people still rate him. One of the few decent players we have doing his damnest to drag a squad of averagers to a World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

not really. When he played he didn't do too bad to be fair, it's just he got screwed with injuries.

i'd love to see some stats on this, but there really must be something wrong with Newcastle's physios and fitness regime. for the last decade we've players completely drop out of sight for months on end with relatively minor injuries at St. Jame's Park, Duff seems to have been just another victim of this. Must be a result of the manager turnover, but from the evidence their setup must be a shambles.

Take off the green tinted glasses, Duff was as big a joke as any at Newcastle and we're lucky to be able to get £5m from Fulham for him, thank you Roy Hodgson.

Take off the green tinted glasses, Duff was as big a joke as any at Newcastle and we're lucky to be able to get £5m from Fulham for him, thank you Roy Hodgson.
    No, your just wrong.

No, your just wrong.

In 86 games or so for Newcastle did he play well even once? Barely.

Anyone remember a single moment of magic that might justify such astronomical wages if he were to have reproduced consistently?

Didn't think so.

Whereas at Blackburn and Chelsea he was near world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

His wages were high because his transfer fee was so cheap at the time (£5m iirc). When he was at Chelsea, he established himself as one of the best wingers in the world, so when you take that into account, his transfer fee and wages were quite reasonable for a player of that calibre.

Anyone remember a single moment of magic that might justify such astronomical wages if he were to have reproduced consistently?

Didn't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I don't think Duff gave anything near his best for Newcastle, but a lot of players have seemed to be languishing there in the last few years.

But I do think it could be a good move for both him and Fulham. Hodgson is a good manager and he seems to able to get a lot out of some of his slightly unusual signings. We've seen it before - sometimes players need a move to reinvent themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I think Kinaldo had a point. Good move for Duff. I like Fulham as a football club. Hodgson has done wonders for them.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I don't think Duff gave anything near his best for Newcastle, but a lot of players have seemed to be languishing there in the last few years.

But I do think it could be a good move for both him and Fulham. Hodgson is a good manager and he seems to able to get a lot out of some of his slightly unusual signings. We've seen it before - sometimes players need a move to reinvent themselves.
    Yes the Newcastle situation reminded me of the Leeds situation a few years ago. Leeds went down with Viduka and Smith in their team and Newcastle had same two players last season.
    Think Newcastle needed some fresh blood and you had the likes of Owen, Viduka and Smith who all had seen better days.
    Read last week about that Peterborough owner, Darragh McAnthony from Dublin and he made a point of recruiting young players from lower leagues who had something to prove.
    But back to original topic, think it will be good for Duff to be with a Premier club as he will be pushing himself more.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Duff has been pretty woeful with Newcastle whenever I've seen him (but who hasn't?) Hopfully Hodgson can get the best out of him and get something like the old Duff back.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

What about €9m Xisco?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

It was a bad move for Duff to go there in the first place as Newcastle were on the slide for a long time. Im surprised Everton havent made a bid for him considering they took a chance on Saha last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

If Duff does join, what happens to Dempsey. Does he move into the middle or what?

Didn't think so.

Are you an actual Newcastle fan or a pretend one? Pretty much every game he was forced to play left-back for a start towards the end of last season including keeping Lennon quiet in the WHL game towards the end of the season.

Or last week if your memory doesn't go back that far.

Nobody is saying he was outstanding or anything like it but he was playing with actual mercenaries in so many of the games while he was there and was hampered by injury problems. At least Duff seemed to try.

His wages are very much beside the point, Newcastle were buying him from Chelsea, for much less than his market value I might add. If you want to bid for such players then you have to be prepared to pay the wages. Maybe, just maybe the wage structure at Newcastle is a problem that can't simply be attributed to Damian Duff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

hang on

newcastle are getting £5m for duff??????

Helix wrote: »
    hang on

newcastle are getting £5m for duff??????

Everywhere I have heard up until now has told me 4m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

ah give over guys...its a great move for everybody involved!

Duff has been pretty woeful with Newcastle whenever I've seen him (but who hasn't?) Hopfully Hodgson can get the best out of him and get something like the old Duff back.
    Yes to be fair, Duff has always looked lively when he plays for the Republic of Ireland. But i guess international football and league football two different ball games.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

So has he actually joined?

kearnsr wrote: »
    So has he actually joined?
    Medical today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Medical today.

His medical which he passed was on Saturday and is why he wasn't in our squad to face Reading. He could have been handy to have around this season in the Championship but hes not half the loss Bassong or Beye were.

• Advertisement

Duff wrote: »
    His medical which he passed was on Saturday and is why he wasn't in our squad to face Reading. He could have been handy to have around this season in the Championship but hes not half the loss Bassong or Beye were.
    sorry to correct that its personal terms according to bulletins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

sorry to correct that its personal terms according to bulletins

Didn't see the papers today, I'm just going by what was on the BBC website yesterday!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I can see Hodgson getting the most out of Duff. He will never be the Duff of 2002-2004 again, but he will be a good player for Fulham. Anywhere is better than where he was though, never understood him moving there. Well other than the money obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

At the time (2006) he wanted guaranteed first team football and wasn't getting it at Chelsea and didn't think he's get it at Liverpool or Spurs (strangely enough) who were both rumoured to be interested.

Im looking forward to seeing him play at the Cottage. Hodgson is putting together a solid squad.

If Newcastle were still in The Premiership I'd be so glad to see the back of Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

That's hilarious, when you consider some of the absolute rubbish that Newcastle have paid good money for over the last few years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Everyones happy it seems. Newcastle fans don't want him and every irish fan is delighted he's left newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I watched him play for Newcastle at left back a few times and he did a solid job. I rarely have seen him have an absolute stinker.

I am glad though that he is going to a more stable club with a manager that knows him quite well.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

He has signed on for 3 years.
    Damien Duff joins Fulham on three-year deal

Fulham have completed the signing of Damien Duff from Newcastle United. The fee for the Republic of Ireland winger has not been disclosed, but it has been confirmed that Duff, 30, has signed for three years.

Duff joined Newcastle from Chelsea during the summer of 2006, and went on to play 86 times, scoring six goals, the last of which came in the opening match of the Championship season at West Bromwich Albion.

"I am happy that my move to Fulham has been completed and look forward to joining in with the rest of the squad's training programme immediately in preparation for two important home matches this week," said Duff, who made his breakthrough at Blackburn Rovers.

"Fulham had a fantastic season last year and I know that having spoken to the manager [Roy Hodgson] in recent days that the club's ambitions remain high and I am looking forward to the challenges ahead."

The west London club finished seventh last season, qualifying for Europe, and opened the new Premier League campaign with a 1-0 win at Portsmouth.

"I am delighted to add a player of Damien Duff's calibre to our squad, and welcome the further midfield options he provides us with," said Hodgson.

"I have known Damien for over a decade since he broke into the first team at Blackburn when I was manager, so I am fully aware of his qualities and I am looking forward to working with him again."

Fulham are also hopeful of completing a deal for the South Africa midfielder Kagiso Dikgacoi, once a work permit has been rubber stamped.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/aug/18/damien-duff-fullham-newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

When you consider that Newcastle played him at left back the odd time no wonder he was classed as a failure there. Saying that, i think newcastle have got a good price for him.
    As for Duff himself, im not sure what he has to offer. An inconsistent winger at best for the last few years...both Ireland and fulham need to get some form of regular consistency out of him. A good line in the Indo yesterday said (im paraphrasing) that if Duff does one fancy trick and goes to beat one or 2 players...then we all will say "Ah, Duff is back to his best", when thats probably not the case.
    Huge fan of Duffer by the way, so I really am rooting for him to be a sucsess at Fulham (and Ireland again)

• Advertisement
Advertisement