Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duff agrees terms with Fulham

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

LowOdour wrote: »
    When you consider that Newcastle played him at left back the odd time no wonder he was classed as a failure there. Saying that, i think newcastle have got a good price for him.
    As for Duff himself, im not sure what he has to offer. An inconsistent winger at best for the last few years...both Ireland and fulham need to get some form of regular consistency out of him. A good line in the Indo yesterday said (im paraphrasing) that if Duff does one fancy trick and goes to beat one or 2 players...then we all will say "Ah, Duff is back to his best", when thats probably not the case.
    Huge fan of Duffer by the way, so I really am rooting for him to be a sucsess at Fulham (and Ireland again)

Lets try this again.

He has been one of Ireland's best players over the last 4 years.

Ireland always get "some sort of consistency out of him".

He is 30 and been hampered by injury problems, we are never going to see him at his maruding best again. That, however, does not mean he does not still have plenty to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

noodler wrote: »
    Lets try this again.

He is 30 and been hampered by injury problems, we are never going to see him at his maruding best again. That, however, does not mean he does not still have plenty to offer.

Of course he has plenty to offer, thats why most people on here really want him to get himself fit and playing well consistently asap.

Over the last 2 years that consistency has been at an average performance level. Injury and Newcastle have contibuted to most of this of course, but we do need that level of performance to rise if we are make the push to top the group. We dont have the attacking threat that Duff could offer elsewhere in the team (well, maybe McGeady but thats a different argument!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Lets try this again.

Your been sarcastic there please tell me you are. One or two good games in the last four years does not make him one of Irelands best players or maybe it does. Dont get me wrong was always been a fan of duff but to be honest his best is well behind him.
    I do hope this move gives his confidence a lift and he has a good season.

He has been anything but average for the Irish national team. One fo the few players man enough to take responsibility and demand the ball when we have the ball-shy Whelan/Andrews/Gibson in our team.

Setup Keane's goal against Cyprus (great bit of play), was also outstanding against Bulgaria away - winning relieving freekicks all over the place while we were under the kosh.

My point is relating to Ireland so lets keep on that if you are going to disagree becasue there are too many other variables at Newcastle.
    Your been sarcastic there please tell me you are. One or two good games in the last four years does not make him one of Irelands best players or maybe it does. Dont get me wrong was always been a fan of duff but to be honest his best is well behind him.

I do hope this move gives his confidence a lift and he has a good season.

You can not be serious? If you have (really) seen Ireland play under the Stan regime and during this campaign, and you still feel he has only played well once or twice then I just can't say anymore to you about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

He has been anything but average for the Irish national team. One fo the few players man enough to take responsibility and demand the ball when we have the ball-shy Whelan/Andrews/Gibson in our team.

Setup Keane's goal against Cyprus (great bit of play), was also outstanding against Bulgaria away - winning relieving freekicks all over the place while we were under the kosh.

My point is relating to Ireland so lets keep on that if you are going to disagree becasue there are too many other variables at Newcastle.

You can not be serious? If you have (really) seen Ireland play under the Stan regime and during this campaign, and you still feel he has only played well once or twice then I just can't say anymore to you about it.
    Yes good move for Duff. We will know a lot more of how he will be able to cope in International games if he is playing at top level. As has been said he is getting on so playing in championship at this stage of his career would not have been good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

But his job is to demand the ball and create chances. And he is a senior member of the team so he should take the responsibility to do that.
    I know Whelan/Andrews/Gibson may not be to good on the ball, but its not what their role in the team is....it is Duff's role though

LowOdour wrote: »
    But his job is to demand the ball and create chances. And he is a senior member of the team so he should take the responsibility to do that.
    I know Whelan/Andrews/Gibson may not be to good on the ball, but its not what their role in the team is....it is Duff's role though

Completely disagree. Have you ever played in a team with two holding midfielders? It shouldn't play out the way it is playing out currently with Ireland.

Both players are still midfielders and should be capable of demanding possession and distibuting efficiently even if they have the label of Defensive Midfielder.

My point is that Duff is having, along with McGeady, Doyle and Keane to a lesser extent, to take on far too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

His best games for Newcastle probably came from left back, but let's not get carried away, he only played a handful of games there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

kinaldo wrote: »
    If Newcastle were still in The Premiership I'd be so glad to see the back of Duff.
    I think Newcastle fell into trap of signing a lot of players who while experienced probably had a bit of mileage on the clock. But you can't be harsh on Duff. Playing the role of full back was probably not a role he was accustomed to.
    Lets just hope he ran return to the form of his blackburn days. Know he is getting on but still has a bit to offer the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm happy to see the back of Newcastle for Duff. Ultimately, they are still in complete disarray and unable to get the best of Duff. I think Fulham, with a top class manager like Hodgson, will be able to get the best out of him.

His form at Newcastle was a testament to the state of the club, rather than a cause of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

signing1.jpg

they must of only had a XXL jersey handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

PHB wrote: »
    I'm happy to see the back of Newcastle for Duff. Ultimately, they are still in complete disarray and unable to get the best of Duff. I think Fulham, with a top class manager like Hodgson, will be able to get the best out of him.

His form at Newcastle was a testament to the state of the club, rather than a cause of it.
    Blaming the club is hilarious.

He was paid handsomely to perform, he didn't. He failed.

And from what I've seen he's lost a lot of his ability.

Granted he was played at left back the odd occasion, but in fairness since most of his best games were at left back (not saying much btw), that was probably the best way to utilize him.

Hodgson might be able to get the best out of him but his best now is far from what it was. His best is very, very, average.

To be honest, the Championship might have been good for him. That's probably about his level these days.

kinaldo wrote: »
    Blaming the club is hilarious.

He was paid handsomely to perform, he didn't. He failed.

And from what I've seen he's lost a lot of his ability.

Granted he was played at left back the odd occasion, but in fairness since most of his best games were at left back (not saying much btw), that was probably the best way to utilize him.

Hodgson might be able to get the best out of him but his best now is far from what it was. His best is very, very, average.

To be honest, the Championship might have been good for him. That's probably about his level these days.

I will agree with you on the fact the Duff didn't play that many games at LB and some are exaggerating the amount of games he actually played there.

At the same time, Newcastle transfer policy has been fairly suspect. OTT wages were paid willingly in a bid to attract players of the club's status. Too many attacking players etc.

You are clearly a Newcastle fan but unless you are over at SJP every other week I would argue I have seen them play as much as most here. I just think you are a bit pissed as a Geordie fan and are lashing out at the players you feel dragged your club down to the Championship. The other side of the coin is that promises were made to him about how ambitious the club would be and, as much as you want to lambast him, there are alot of other players at the club I would be pointing the finger at first.

Advertisement