Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PostGrad Fees

Options
  • 15-08-2009 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

I'm applying for a Masters in Maynooth at the minute. I should hear back soon if I got a place. I recently checked to see how much it is going to cost and was rather suprised to find the course is 9,127e.

Its a Computer Music course which is not the best course for job prospects so I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth it.

Is it possible that I would be eligible for a grant of some description and how might I go about checking? I currently live at home and never got the grant while doing my undergraduate degree. I'm 22 so not a mature student.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

Chances are you won't get the grant if you didn't get it for your undergrad. There might something within the college that you can apply for though. www.studentfinance.ie has some information on grants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah people have been telling me that alright.

Would it be an idea to wait a year and go back as a mature student? Would I be eligible for something then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Anima wrote: »
    Yeah people have been telling me that alright.

Would it be an idea to wait a year and go back as a mature student? Would I be eligible for something then?
    A few years ago YES, but now with the introduction of Fees next year it wouldn't. It's a shame but it looks like you will be a year too late. If your parents earn less than €45,000 then it would be worth checking up applying for a grant. Even if it would just pay for the course it would help you greatly. What is the course BTW it seems crazily expensive. You should seriously consider going to university in the Netherlands. The fees are set at €1,500 and it is not too difficult to get in. Check it up, it would also look good if you went to another country to get a masters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 redandyellowmnm

the goverment havent actually agreed to bring back fees yet but its a major possibility. im also looking to find grants for postgrad courses does anyone know how to go about getting grants to study in glasgow?

I hear that brother :pac:

Its MA in Computer Music at Maynooth. Seems retardedly expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

the goverment havent actually agreed to bring back fees yet but its a major possibility. im also looking to find grants for postgrad courses does anyone know how to go about getting grants to study in glasgow?
    No grant to study abroad and you have to pay full postgrad fees if your studying in Scotland. Undergrad is different there. Check out the Netherlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

why is the nl different ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Tobyglen wrote: »
    No grant to study abroad and you have to pay full postgrad fees if your studying in Scotland. Undergrad is different there. Check out the Netherlands.

postgrad fees tend to be cheaper in uk than in irl.i think its probably because they dont have free fees for undergraduate courses.check out saas website for scotland.they do cover some postgrads.it might be too late to apply for this year but worth a shot.also northern ireland have a similar scheme but its closing date is much earlier in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

postgrad fees tend to be cheaper in uk than in irl.i think its probably because they dont have free fees for undergraduate courses.

I would be slow to assume that free undergraduate fees is the reason for high post-grad fees in Ireland. The corollary to this would that the post-grad fees will reduce when the under-grad fees return and I think few of us would expect that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

Do you mind me asking what sort of things you would be studying in this course? I have never heard of it before :)

• Advertisement

Its basically using software for musical purposes and everything that goes with that.

http://music.nuim.ie/courses/postgraduate/taughtcoursesma/macomputermusic/hdipmusictechnology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

AFAIK that course is funded by the HEA and only costs €2000. Could be mistaken though.

How could I find out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kc525

hey im a 3rd year under grad and iv been receiving the higher education grant. does that mean they might pay my fees for a masters?

Advertisement