Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you refuse co-op?

• 15-08-2009 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

In order to get accomodation I had to sign a 6 month contract and because of that I really can't go outside of Limerick for my co-op.

Couple of questions:
    What can I do to ensure I get co-op in Limerick?

If I don't and get offered a placement in, say, Galway... can I refuse and if so is there any penalties for doing this ect....

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Short answer: No

Long answer: yes, but if you do you are then on your own and the co-op office is under no obligation to get you anymore interviews. If you are offered a job from one of the companies the co-op office arranges a job with and refuse and fail to find one yourself, then AFAIK you automatically fail co-op and therefore the year. If you speak to the co-op office they will do what they can to accommodate you, as long as you do it well in advance of interviews, which will start from September for the coming year. If you're starting in January, it might be an idea to start looking yourself now.

BTW...you don't HAVE to sign anything...there's bound to be somone out there that will take 3 months rather than just let their house lie empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

in the two years iv been in ul iv lived on campus however most of my friends live off campus and NONE of them ever had to sign a lease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

oh and if you cant get a coop placement you can do a faculty project instead or do 3(i think) modules that are not related to your course

Advertisement