Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a good offer in the current climate?

• 15-08-2009 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I bought this car:

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2854893

in January '08 for a then reasonable cash price of €27k. Between government policies and imports the value has fallen out of bed-I reluctantly accept that. Anyway I decided to test the water and put it in Car Buyer's Guide with a POA to see what I would get. I have has a few ridiculous offers and kinda decided to wait till January to accept one of that ilk (I did a deal with CBG to keep the ad displayed indefinitely).

Tonight I get a call with caller willing to pay €14.5k. I was hoping to get around €16.5k. We chatted a bit and I get the impression he is interested-didn't sound like a bluffer anyway. I could add in €200 worth of roof bars that would be useless to me anyway and maybe push for more. If I looked to meet half way at €15.5k am I cutting off my nose to spite my face? ie. should I just hold onto the thing?

So good people of Boards, who have steered me right many times before, what do yizzers think I should do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Edit: There's an '05 with 72000 miles and the far better 2L TDI for €13250. Take the €14500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Good point. Though it has higher mileage and it's an import.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....well, if you have to sell, 14.5k is a good price -take it.

The real question though, is why you're selling it - or, more to the point, why you feel the need to accpet a 13k hit in 18 months. - Why not just keep it ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I don't really have to sell but life would be richer if I did. That said, I would like to get a fair(?) price too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

i'd take the offer. The way things are its decent enough. They could have one in from the uk for less. You could be waiting a long time for a sale and then it could be at a much lower price. Car looks well in the photos btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

brayblue24 wrote: »
    I don't really have to sell but life would be richer if I did. That said, I would like to get a fair(?) price too.

...not in a dissimilar boat myself (car bought in Mar 08), I'm trying to figure out how a 13k hit would make you richer. The way I'm thinking, the longer I keep it, and although still losing, the loss is at least amortised over a longer period.

The other thing is, with 14.5k in your pocket, will that get something better, (no point in getting the same), as what you have.........?? If not, then, again, what's the point.........?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Confab wrote: »
    Edit: There's an '05 with 72000 miles and the far better 2L TDI for €13250. Take the €14500.

The 2l TDI is actually not quite a better engine. It might be from the specs, however the second your oil-light comes on you're guaranteed that your turbo and various other things are bust. The 1.9 doesn't have those issues. And obviously you wouldn't want to push any engine that far.

The pipes for the oil around the engine are very small, so pressure has to be kept up. In the 1.9 tdi that's not an issue. A mechanic would say, the 2.0TDI is a bad engine, out of his point of view.

As for the OP, if similar cars are around that price, the 14.5k don't sound too bad. It's not the time for selling cars.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd accept the offer of €14,500. You could hold out and see if you get a better one but note this, the end of the year is fast approaching, your car will be 5 years old and you may end up only getting an offer nowhere near this one.

I've seen people hold out for more money and end up selling their car for alot less a few months later.

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...not in a dissimilar boat myself (car bought in Mar 08), I'm trying to figure out how a 13k hit would make you richer. The way I'm thinking, the longer I keep it, and although still losing, the loss is at least amortised over a longer period.

The other thing is, with 14.5k in your pocket, will that get something better, (no point in getting the same), as what you have.........?? If not, then, again, what's the point.........?

TBH the point is like a lot of people the car was bought in good times but truthfully I don't need it as such. Actually the plan is to get a junker. I know that could be false economy but so is having an A4!

All replies so far are appreciated btw. Every one of them makes sense given you're commenting to a complete stranger. I can afford to keep it yeah but but I don't need it and that's why I need a dig out cos I know it's a big hit but will it get worse??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well the value of a car only goes one way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Bray, do you have finance still on the a4? if so, whats left?

Bray, do you have finance still on the a4? if so, whats left?

Yeah but not earth shattering stuff. Couple of years. I'm as much wondering about the sense in having it at all as much as the financial impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I'd keep it for another 2/3 years and try to clear the finance tbh. Firstly, it's a nice car, and secondly, the depreciation will be lower over the next two years than it has been over the last two years. Plus, if you buy a banger, you could end up with a money pit, and that definitely wouldn't be economical then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Yeah but if you clear finance on the car, that's no bad thing either. Like if you take the 14.5k and it clears your finance, you've got a clean sheet financially and when this recession is over, you'll be in a good position to buy something REAL nice again.
    Best of luck anways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You took the big hit already.

You lost 13k in 18 months, but now there is only another 14.5k to loose between now and day it goes off to the scrapyard.

If you hang on another 5 years , and even if the car is worth zero at the end , you will only loose 3k a year. You will spend that keeping yourself in junkers.

Advertisement