Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom w/ netopia: wireless fine, wired very slow

Options
  • 15-08-2009 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I have the 3Mb Eircom home broadband package with Netopia 2247-02 wireless router.

I get perfectly acceptable download speeds of over 2Mbps on the two laptops connected wirelessly to the router. But, I get rubbish download speeds of about 100Kbps with my PC with wired connection to the router (however, I get the normal upload speed.)

When I tried one of the laptops hooked up with the same ethernet cable as I use with the PC I got a download speed of over 2Mbps as with the wireless. So it's not a problem at the ISP's end, it's not a problem with the router per se or with the ethernet cable ...

I've since updated the PC's network card drivers - it's an Intel Pro/100 VE - but it didn't make a difference. I ran the Intel diagnostics tool and it gave the network card a green light. I played around with network settings - switching to automatic assignment of an IP address, no difference. I've disabled all the firewall software, no difference.

My PC is running Windows XP Home Edition.

I have no idea what could be the cause of the computer and the router not getting along with each other to cause this slowdown (and why particularly this slowdown doesn't hinder uploads!). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(I have tested all these speeds with a number of different online broadband speed tests.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Transfer a large file between the PC and one of the laptops, and see what happens. Do it in both directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 market

Okay, I tested out transfers between a laptop (wireless connection to the router) and the PC (wired connection to the router):

It is much faster transferring from the PC to the laptop than from the laptop to the PC. Orders of magnitude faster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Then the problem is somewhere with the PC, and nothing to do with your broadband connection. Could be software or hardware, not really sure how you'll go about debugging it. Can you put in a PCI network card and try that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 market

I dug around and found an old 3com 3C900B which I've just installed (and am using to connect to the net right now) and when running the Eircom speedtest got 2.4Mbps!

So it's clearly a fault of the integrated network card. Given that I've updated to the latest drivers, I just don't get why it works slowly (to download) instead of not working at all?

Advertisement