Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nes displaying B&W

• 15-08-2009 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Setup my NES II for the first time since in the new house on a little portable I have setup here! seems to be only displaying B&W, is a bit fuzzy and is crackling alot.
    Its plugged in via ariel and i never had an issue with it on my old TV/DVD combo.

I know i'm doing something obvious but need someone to show me up :)
    any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any chance it's an NTSC model and you TV is a piece of **** that doesn't display 60hz NTSC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Yeah, it's not a North American model is it? Have you tried it on another tv? Does it need to be tuned in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It is a north american / canada one, and yes it needs to be tuned in..
    i'll try a different telly, its impossible to get the OH off the dam thing though :p

Tallon wrote: »
    It is a north american / canada one, and yes it needs to be tuned in..
    i'll try a different telly, its impossible to get the OH off the dam thing though :p

Your tv can't display the signal. It can only display 50 hz, North America is 60 hz. More modern tellys can display both signals, so try it on a new telly.

EDIT: Or get this
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-11z-49-en-15-ntsc+pal+adapter-70-1au.html

6 TV's in the house all 50Hz and the only one that will display up to 100Hz is the 42inch Plasma, which:

1) Is way too big for games
    2) Its our main telly
    3) I can't play duck hunt / HOTD
    4) i only want something small :(

should I invest in a little LCD? and would it let me use my guns?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Light guns will only work on crts I'm afraid.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Light guns will only work on crts I'm afraid.

Thought so :(
    Can you get 60Hz CRT's here though?

Check adverts.ie or gumtree for a cheap tv? I had the same problem for awhile until I finally bought a tv that could display both 50 and 60 hz for 30 euro, definetly worth it.

Good stuff, cheers for that lads!

Hopefully now people selling them know what Hz is and their small

If the seller is not sure of their model, google it. I had the same problem but there's a pretty good website that that will let you lookup info about different models.

• Advertisement

CCCP^ wrote: »
    ...pretty good website..

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

What you want is a Super Gameboy and this will allow you to play the gameboy cartridges on your console in FULL COLOUR. Well, not quite full colour but in a really naff limited colour palette, assuming the game has been programmed with this amazing addon in mind.

Snes%20Super%20Game%20Boy.jpg

Would that work though, even though the NES is not fulling tuning in correctly. Surely a cartridge wouldn't afect the AV output

What you want is a Super Gameboy and this will allow you to play the gameboy cartridges on your console in FULL COLOUR. Well, not quite full colour but in a really naff limited colour palette, assuming the game has been programmed with this amazing addon in mind.

That's for a Super Nintendo. Tallon has a NES from North America. I can't remember the name of that website right now, but if you were to type in a make and model type into google, it's bound to bring it up. As Retr0 says, the telly will have to be a CRT (Cathode-Ray Tube) make, newer makes like LCD won't support the lightgun from the NES or other pre-PS3 consoles.

CCCP^ wrote: »
    newer makes like LCD won't support the lightgun from the NES or other pre-PS3 consoles.

This I know, and have know for many years :(

I do however remember a guy who built several ones that worked with any TV.
    Had 4 sensors in each corner or something and the gun was modified to react.
    Ill see if I can dig up the link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here's something that may help...

I have a Japanese neo geo that came with an RGB cable. It would only display in black and white on my CRT. Therefore I assumed my television didn't support 60hz.

I bought an RGB -> scart cable for the Neo and now it will display in full colour.

You could try something similar and get a NES rgb/scart cable on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NES-Game-Console-Scart-AV-Lead-Cable-RF-replacement-NEW_W0QQitemZ150364840393QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item23027161c9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Even if it doesn't change the display to colour, you'll at least have a much better cable for your new 60hz CRT and not have to use that ****ty coaxial arial collection thing. l

Just built one there, not displaying anything

The NES doesn't support RGB scart unfortunately so that won't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Strange that the six tv's dont display 60hz! Are you sure your rf cable isnt shot? Try a donor one, as Ive seen black & white/poor sound from duffed rf's in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Bah.

So what would be easier to buy, a 60/50hz supporting CRT or a PAL nes?

And second to that, is a PAL nes really as bad as a PAL 16 bit console?

• Advertisement

Ok, I don't think its the cable, i think its just the fact that its USA.
    I think the only option is to get a 60Hz TV

I've checked all the connections and they seem to be fine

Heres what ive done, FYI

Heres the cable

88206.JPG

Heres the head

88207.JPG

I have detached it from here and tried it with a coaxial-antenna convertor

88208.JPG

Ive taken this apart, cleaned it, swiched it around etc, still nothing :(

88209.JPG

I am very sad :( I wanna play my NES

You stated its the first time you have it set up in your new house? Had you git it working properly before? I just find it strange that SIX different tv's are showing you the black & white image...I have an old 21" CRT that I use for 16bit and down and it displays 60hz fine - and thats a crap old cheapo. I thought usually once the tv has a scart option, it should have no hassle showing 60hz, I may be wrong however. Have you a lead off a megadrive/snes handy to try - Im not quite sure what the deal is with that lead in the photos.

As far as I remeber it works on my 100Hz plasma, but thats not ideal for games.

I didn't try it on all 6 TV's, the one im using is 50Hz and so are all the other ones so Im assuming its not the tv. I will try one now.

This is a NES II by the way!

o1s1n wrote: »
    And second to that, is a PAL nes really as bad as a PAL 16 bit console?

Yep just as bad. Except with the 16 bit machines some companies like Sega's later games and Rares games they actually made an effort on the conversions. It's walking through treacle town on the PAL NES.

Right guys, im one step closer.

I have a friends old TV/DVD combo which is outputting Colour, but the loud buzing is still there and now I have no sound at all, where on the B&W I had sound/buzzing

I seriously dont think the display output hertz affects the sound...my money is on that cable. Has to be a bad connection, does the NES2 have a standard RF jack output?

Yep, standard

I tried the SNES cable and same thing so I can elliminate the cable.
    I think its difinitavely the 60Hz issue.
    Any chance I could try one of you guys TV?
    I want to eliminate everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

Have you tried using a set of phono cables from the red and yellow on the side of the console instead of from the RF out?

cynos wrote: »
    Have you tried using a set of phono cables from the red and yellow on the side of the console instead of from the RF out?

There is no red and yellow on the side of the, this is a Nes II

nes-2.jpg

• Advertisement

If it was mine I would be maybe trying this out, seems fairly simple to do
    http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/nes2avmod.htm

Did you try re-tuning the channel with the donor rf lead? If all else fails, you may buy a new tv :pac:

EnterNow wrote: »
    Did you try re-tuning the channel with the donor rf lead? If all else fails, you may buy a new tv :pac:

yep, tried and tried.
    It really does look like a TV issue, no way around it

What happened the old tv/dvd combo you had? And in fairness to cynos, that av mod looks quite straight foreward, why not perform the mod and use a scart adaptor.

I like to keep my consoles original. The fact is I dont need to mod it, i just need to find another way around it

As for the old TV, it was left for the skip by the old landlord :(

• Advertisement

Tallon wrote: »
    I like to keep my consoles original. The fact is I dont need to mod it, i just need to find another way around it

As for the old TV, it was left for the skip by the old landlord :(

With mods like that, I prefer to think of them as only unlocking an existing capability - for want of better terminology. Its not as if your filling the nes with led's, and putting a "deadly" skin on the console. If the machine has the capability of displaying the higher quality av signals, why not use 'em?

If your adament then its definitely the tv's, then Im afraid your only "other way around it", is to replce the tv. You've eliminated the wire, tried it on several tv's, short of the mod, I dont see any further options other than a new 50/60hz tv.

Advertisement