Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St.Pats Drumcondra

Options
  • 15-08-2009 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Am headin 2 st.pats this sept and i was wonderin if someone would tell me about the place, the accommodation, what goes on at freshers week etc.? im really sycked 2 head there, any1 else headin up?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Presume you're studying Primary Teaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Hi, congratulations you must have done well to know you have a place already ahead of CAO.

I didn't go to Pats myself but people I know do/did. Re the accomodation as soon as you get offered your place you need to contact the accomodation office about campus accomodation. Check the website for term dates etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

try posting on educationposts.com forum, Fear an Phoist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

I am....hopefully!!! but ill be living at home.....only live a tiny bit away...
    dry daft.ie for accomodation in the area.apparently on campus is not too pleasant...
    fingers crossed for tomorrow!!! praying!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭nubineeprincess

Hiya

im just finished my first year in Pats!!
    its class and you will love it.
    campus = small rooms, one kitchen and common room between 60!!but the social side then is out all the time and you get to know loadsa people!
    but you would want to get looking asap around drumcondra as places will be snapped up!!
    freshers week is good craic- its all about getting to know people.....and to be honest you'll get to know people no bother as all the boys are popular so they are so few....but you'll have a great time!!! :p
    none of the work is overly hard but there is a lot to do esp when teaching practice comes around but its all fun and once you put in the effort you'll be grand!!
    advice is try to go to most lectures and tutorials etc as attendance makes the diff
    but go on the nights out too!!they are brill!!
    what subjects you thinking of picking as academics?
    aw well you should be syked!!you are going to have a ball!!!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Same here, just accepted my place in St.Pats. I have a load of friends doing primary teaching, but being from Kerry they all decided to go to Mary I.
    I've seen the On Campus accom, and its small, but as someone mentioned earlier it looks like a great place to meet people from the open day.
    Can't wait! Any advice that'll help me for September?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭nubineeprincess

dont know what kind of advice i can give really
    if ya have any questions then you can pm me if ya want??:D

but you will have a great time....i cant wait to get back...(after sept tp of course:eek:nah its grand;))
    there is a lot of work in it...i have to admit that but you'll have a great time!!:D
    dont hesitate to pm me with any questions?!!

:p M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kathyd91

Just accepted my place but I live in Dublin so I'll be staying at home! Can't wait to start! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 fearanpost

i got my offer today, so happy! i was thinking about doing irish and music. any advice on which subjects to pick? i dont know which ones to pick! i applied for campus today, is it hard to get? like is it in demand? because now im starting to woryr that i wont get campus and i thought that first years all got campus if they wanted it?! help!!

Yeah, i applied for on campus as well so hoping I get a letter monday morning with some good news! There seems to be plenty accom around though from what i've seen online, so we should be grand whichever way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 sunstar

if you are heading to pats in sept seriously the BEST thing you will do is apply for campus.it is THE best craic ever!i was there myself last year the rooms arent actually that small like.i know you hear people giving out about the kitchen but there is a canteen that serves great food and dinners so i didnt ecen use it that much.there is a huge common room for everyone.i think its a great set up...everyone is like a family in the one house and on the first night you make friends instantly!i can not emphasise how much fun it is everyone is a great support to each other with assignments,exams and tp.parties the whole time:)APPLY FOR CAMPUS!!!!

english is a great subject to pick.they pass everyone!irish is grand too as my irish isnt great and i still did ok..

the first week is such a doss for first years.you only have lectures in your acedemic subjects so seriously take advantage of it and go out.after that week its freshers week.county colours..silent disco..mystery bus tour etc.brilliant!feel free to ask any more questions:)

btw..mary i...mary dry.pats is the party college!

oh btw there are 220 places on campus and around 170 of these go to first years.and if your a lad you have a good chance as there are 3 floors of girls and the bottom floor is for lads.even if you dont get campus there are plenty of places nearby and you may get in on a cancellation as not everyone who gets campus accepts it.

:)

sunstar wrote: »
    btw..mary i...mary dry.pats is the party college!

haha! love it!

thanks a mill sounds mighty! gettin really excited about it now... wheres the 'local'? and are ya allowed drink in the rooms? cos i heard some1 sayin your not..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

sunstar wrote: »
    irish is grand too as my irish isnt great and i still did ok

Hey, I also got accepted into Pats this year but the Irish is the one thing that worries me! I got a C3 in the Leaving Cert, God knows how, but have really poor Irish. Like I never understood comprehensions or half of what I was writing in tests!

So I definitely wont be doing it as an academic subject but is there much other Irish on the course? Is there a chance I could fail the year on Irish? And when would the start testing you on it,will I have time to improve??

Appreciate any advice anyone can give!

I got a C3 in the Leaving Cert, God knows how, but have really poor Irish.

I got a c2 so wer on the same boat ther mate!:D any1 no how bad it is? and did any1 do irish as a subject and would they recommend it??

Hopefully won't have a problem with the Irish. Been going to a Gaelscoil all my life... A1 in the leaving. If ye need help i'll be happy to give ye a hand :P

Seriously can't wait for it now!!!

DDC1990 wrote: »
    ....A1 in the leaving.

DDC 1990...i hate you.

only messin! :P ya can drag me through the irish course then so! i went 2 a gaelscoil 4 primary but lost it all in secondary, but i still got in with the gaeltacht thing!! handy, you stayin on campus?

Hopefully... I applied yesterday. Can anyone who got the on campus accomodation tell me how soon you find out whether you have got it or not?

as far as i can remember it was a few days to maybe a week after the closing date which is this friday so id say you should find out late next week.best of luck to those of you that applied id love for you to get it:)

as regards irish,seriously you dont need to worry!i took a year out after my leaving cert and lost practically ALL of my irish to the point that i couldnt even count or say anything so i said i would pick up irish as an acedemic subject to improve my irish.which i would have if i actually listened to the lecturer..the irish course is divided into 3. first semester based on a novel,drama and history of padraig pearse.2nd semester is based on short stories, media and a book thats actually a poem?anyways alot of the time i just didnt bother to listen and just kept telling myself i didnt understand the lecturer so i dont know why i even went to those lectures because when it comes to exams if you regurgitate the notes its grand!i was dissapointed that i never improved my irish tho:( if you dont pick irish as an acedemic you have to do an hour of professional irish which is supposidly easy enough.all first years have a weekly seminar of irish grammer.you will soon come to hate that class beleive me.but if i can pass anyone can!

i would also reccomend english as if you have any interest in it its actually grand!

the local is always quinns on a wed or thur night it does be wedged with people from dcu, pats ucd :) pats always have nights out most weeks with different bands or special nights like paint,beach parties and theyre always brilliant too!

oh and yeah you are allowed drink in your room!i remember reading the handbook we got saying that we couldnt drink blah blah blah but we would drink in the common room and hide nagans cans etc and if your drinking out of a glass its fine!security is tight on outsiders though.gates close at eleven so people who arent residents cant come in after that time.there were some serious damage done last year with certain parties last year so i hope theyre no too strict with ye this year.but i think it happens every year to be honest!

• Advertisement

thanks for all that sunstar!:)

did any1 out there go through the gaeltacht applicant thing or does any1 no any1 that done it? does that mean i haveta do irish? is my classes in irish and my teaching practice? i appreciate any help!:)

no all your classes are the same as non gaeltacht applicants and everyone is placed in classes based on the subjects they pick.i dont think you have to even pick irish as an acedemic though most do because if your fluent its so easy...yep teaching practice in march for ye is in a gaelscoil but im not sure maybe you can get that changed when you get in.in home teaching practice it can be anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ally_mull

Hey! I'm also off to Pats in Sep! Was wondering if anyone could tell me about the Maths/Bioscience course in the college? I'm debating whether to choose either maths or bioscience, its frustrating to know you can't choose both!

First Year
    Students take Education and two subjects from
    1. English
    2. Gaeilge
    3. History or Mathematics or Music or *Bioscience
    4. French or Geography or Religious Studies
    *Bioscience is First Year only

dunno what 2 pick!

dont stress over picking your subjects.they give you a week or two to change your mind and at that stage you will have been to lectures in your chosen subjects and you can attend the other subjects too to see what their like.i know some even changed after like 3 weeks because they werent happy its not a big deal:)

there is alot of learning involved in geog for exams with a few assignments and some online assessment thing.if you are picking bioscience be sure of your other subject you are taking as you will have to keep that on in 2nd yr.bioscience is just like an extension of leaving cert biology.english-they give you good exam hints, you have to hand up 3 assignments which count for 20percent in first year.its known as one of the easiest ones. religion is all about the bible and christianity in alot of detail!maths if you did higher you should be grand.i think you may have to sign in for those lectures though in compared to the others as the class is smaller.the music department are meant to be fairly sound.with french you have homework to do and to be honest havent heard anyone saying good things about that subject but i dunno!irish is grand too.there are no asssignments just exams.during lectures you might not know what is going on in some of them but again its a case of learning the notes and you'd be grand.history is supposed to be alright as far as i hear.

thanks sunstar!! your a big help!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 xxsunshinexx

Hey, im heading to pats in sept 2! i was reading on the website that first years are advised to spend 2 weeks assisting in a school b4 college starts..anyone know more about this?? Thanks 4 all the info so far its great.:)

yeah read that 2, i might just do 1 week, a friend of mine was sayin she didnt even bother doin it and nobody even asked did she do it wen she went 2 college!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 xxsunshinexx

ok cool thanks..ya think mite jus do a week myself aswell

• Advertisement

let me no if any1 got in 2 campus or got word from pats please!!:D

Advertisement