Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT failure - CO2 emmission

• 15-08-2009 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a '95 Corsa 1.2l engine and today it just failed at the NCT for the second time due to the high CO2 emmission. The first time it was 0.37 (high idle) and the second time it was 0.4. The mechanic checked the exhaust and found it all right and I used the STP NCT pre-test petrol + injector cleaner thinking that and revving the car up a few times on the motorway should be enough (the limit is 0.3). Low idle is grand.
    Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

had a similar issue with a Corsa on high idle, you need to check the Air Mass Meter, if its not that, it could well be the CAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭flatpack

i m no expert, do you most of time do short run in car? if so then do few miles on motorway.
    Hi all,
    I have a '95 Corsa 1.2l engine and today it just failed at the NCT for the second time due to the high CO emmission. The first time it was 0.37 (high idle) and the second time it was 0.4. The mechanic checked the exhaust and found it all right and I used the STP NCT pre-test petrol + injector cleaner thinking that and revving the car up a few times on the motorway should be enough (the limit is 0.3). High idle is grand.
    Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Diagnostic check, nail down the exact problem. I'd guess

its your lamda sensor thats gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

Thanks for the help!

I took the car to 2 mechanics today. One of them checked it with the diagnostic equipment which took him nearly 2 hours and came back saying that he's still not sure what's wrong with it and I think he mentioned the air mass meter and because he also said that it's €200+ I didn't think I'd go down that road (and he said he doesn't really recommend it as he's not sure it'd help).

The other mechanic suggested I have the lambda sensor changed but the lambda value is grand so I'm not convinced that changing it would help either.

So I'll rev it up before the test, add some Dipothane (or what's the name) and have my fingers crossed. I'm reluctant to believe that the values would change this much within 2 weeks - low idle: from 0.49 down to 0.4 and high idle: from 0.37 up to 0.4... It seems it's a matter of luck if the car passes or not or it's the test centre guys who modify the results. I'll see how different the 3rd values will be.

The car is in such a great condition though, serviced 2 months ago, usually not a bother with it, the mechanic remarked that the engine runs nice and smooth so I was very surprised when it failed the second time too. And yes, it's mostly on the short run when i use it :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Rev the crap out of it on the way to the NCT... drive in a low gear all the way.

• Advertisement

Will do :) The NCT is on Friday, I'll let youse know how it went.

if it is the MAF, you can pick up an original part here :
    http://www.vauxhallworldparts.com/vauxhall.php?partnumber=90543282

much better than the 229 Euro quoted by my local friendly Opel dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Confab wrote: »
    Rev the crap out of it on the way to the NCT... drive in a low gear all the way.

erm... its a petrol, how is that going to help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Gurgle wrote: »
    erm... its a petrol, how is that going to help?

I once did that with really old Peugeot 205, the HC value was around 400 but after driving about 20 mins in motorway at 100km/h at 3rd gear, the new HC value was under 200.

So it really does help, only problem with the 205 was that it was running so hot that it actually started to overheat in the test:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is it not a CO emission reading? totally different chemical.

• Advertisement

Is it not a CO emission reading? totally different chemical.

Thats what I thought - Hydrocarbons will reduce because you're running the engine hotter and burning out build-ups of unburned fuel in the exhaust pipes.

CO2 emissions from a diesel are due to the raw carbon content of the fuel and can be reduced by running it good and hot, but NCT failing levels from a petrol engine just mean the engine is fcuked.

Or am I misunderstanding stuff?
    (answers from chemical engineers only please :p)

The HC value is indeed measured with the CO2. In my case that's a good number, way below the limit. The rest, dunno, no chemical engineer here :P

To turn the question back, revving it out for the last 1 or 2 miles won't help? I got this advice from 2 mechanics.

The HC value is indeed measured with the CO2. In my case that's a good number, way below the limit. The rest, dunno, no chemical engineer here :P

To turn the question back, revving it out for the last 1 or 2 miles won't help? I got this advice from 2 mechanics.
    plus if there's something wrong, revving it isn't gonna solve anything (tried that, and STP) . Got mine (a 99 Corsa) thru on its 3rd retest, the CAT has disintegrated. But your mechanic said thats fine? The other candidates are as already said, the MAF, the Lambda sensor or the air filter.

At this stage I was merely interested if I get yet again different results at the third test. I did get different low idle results (0.18 as opposed to 0.49 and 0.4) and asked the mechanic why is that result so different if I didn't change anything. He got a bit aggressive, why am I interested in a result that passed when I failed again on the high idle result, I should be concerned with that. I couldn't explain to him that I don't know if their diagnostics are reliable or not and since he refused to explain I don't think it is, I think it's an easy way to get a car re-tested. It was in Kells by the way but I'd say it's the same everywhere.
    Anyways, thanks for all the help lads.

since he refused to explain I don't think it is.
    I'd think he refused to explain because he doesn't have a clue. They just put the sensor into the exhaust and press the 'Test' button.

I'm pretty sure they have an idea what's changing the values and what isn't.
    It doesn't matter really, the car needs a new cat or air mass meter, I just don't trust the NCT centre.

Advertisement