Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Kilmainham/Inchicore

• 15-08-2009 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

We are 3 girls looking to rent a house in these areas in the next few weeks. Just wondering if anyone can give any advice on what the areas are like? In regards shops, pubs, crime etc.. Thanks a million in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I moved out of Inchicore a few weeks ago - I was living in the Tramyard, so it was nice enough not being on the main road, but a friend lives on Emmet Road itself, and never has a problem.

I liked the area, the Tesco there is sh*te, but the Eurospar ain't too bad. You've got a pizzeria, Indian restaurants, kebabs, a great Italian, and a chipper. A few pubs, The Black Lion probably being the best of them really. The others are very 'local'. Timothy's on the corner isn't the worst either, but very little athmosphere.

You've got the Luas if you just go up past the Canal, which can be handy, but the buses going through Inchore are frequent enough. You'll find some unsavory characters upstairs.

Speaking of unsavory characters, Inchicore's got a bit of a bad name, but tbh, it's grand. You've got St. Micheals flats off Emmet Rd, but I've walked through them at every and any hour and not had a problem. All the kids are about 11-16. Wouldn't mind them too much.

You're just down the road from Thomas St, where most of the buses will drop you off - You've got the Markets there, along with a Lidl and a few other bits and bobs, which is handy. The Irish Museum of Modern Art is up the road too, which is great if you've nothing planned for an afternoon. Phoenix Park is close too.

If you like your small pubs and plenty of craic, the Royal Oak is a great spot - It's just down the road beside the main entrance to IMMA (By The Patriot pub).

I enjoyed living there, and found it really handy for getting in and out of town. It's usually less than a tenner to get home after a night out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Get the luas if possible.

The 78A is a very frequent service but as for upstairs.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 redddbop

Thanks a million for your quick response. I have heard a few negatives about the area. Are there any streets in particular that you should avoid at all costs? I like that its so close to town and work so we would really like to set up house in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

I live off South Circular Road, the stretch between Rialto & Kilmainham. Find it really handy for getting in and out of town, 123 goes every 10 mins, 5 minute walk from Luas stop, or even walking into town takes about 30 mins to Christchurch. Never had any problems in the area, there's loads of shops, takeaways, pubs etc between Rialto and Kilmainham. Have heard the Royal Oak is a great spot but haven't made it up there yet. Generally The Bird Flanagan is grand for quiet drinks. Walking distance to Kilmainham Jail, Hilton (think it has swimming pool), Phoenix Park, IMMA so there's loads of stuff to do around. Would definately recommend it.

Hybreasal is an old building that's been converted into apartments & houses, could be worth a look. Also Rothe Abbey which is around the back is a newish estate, as they're both off the main road so quiet but still very convenient. Best of luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Hybreasal is an old building that's been converted into apartments & houses, could be worth a look. Also Rothe Abbey which is around the back is a newish estate, as they're both off the main road so quiet but still very convenient. Best of luck!!

Aye, the apartments in the Hybreasal are lovely, and it's fairly quite in there.
    redddbop wrote: »
    Thanks a million for your quick response. I have heard a few negatives about the area. Are there any streets in particular that you should avoid at all costs? I like that its so close to town and work so we would really like to set up house in the area.

Well, the only place I wouldn't live is the houses directly around St. Micheals - Other than that, you're good to go - I've been in some really nice houses (If a bit small) around Emmet Road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 redddbop

I've had a look on daft and there seems to be really good value in renting around these areas. you guys have helped me make up my mind. We're packing our bags and hitting Kilmainham..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

there's loads of nice areas in kilmainham, like the south circular road (st james' woods is a very nice estate, hybreasal is lovely but so are the houses behind it) and there are a few nice apartment blocks on old kilmainham road.
    i'm a fairly recent arrival myself so PM if you'd like, i'm also renting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Recently moved to Kilmainham and love it. Am living just across the road from Hybreasal.

Advertisement