Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

discussion/review request: asg m14

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭P.K

Well, i havent used one that much to be able to comment on range and rate of fire, from the few shots i did get out of one but both seemed to be pretty good, but could be alot better.

I've only ever seen the fake wood ones, which is complete ****e as far as fake wood goes, AGM made a better version of the wood one. The body is also known to split on the joinery lines.

Also the gearbox on them is plastic as well, but seems half decent from the one i have seen.but tbh, i wouldnt expect miralces from it.

Compared to the AGM ones they fall short of the mark apart from one key difference the triggers on the AGM ones seem to be weaker and easier to break where as the ASG seem to be that little bit stronger,
    Also the AGM ones have metal gearboxes and decent bodys but no fuse unlike its ASG counterpart.

well its not much of a review but more of a relevant comment:D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mayotobo

in that case does anyone know of any goood spring or electric sniper for under 260 euro?

except for bar 10, l96 and vsr 10

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Why except those? Two of those (the VSR and the BAR10) are universally regarded as the best of the sniper platforms available. The L96, with a few tweaks, isn't half bad either.

If you want a sniper rifle, it's going to have to be spring. An AEG based sniper rifle is an exercise in futility. Between the noise it makes and the less efficient (by comparison to spring) system, you'll simply lose all the benefits of a sniper rifle.
    You can, however, go for something like a marksmans rifle in AEG form. However, to get one of those which is even starting to close in on the performance of a spring based sniper rifle, you're looking at 300+ easily. Rifles like the TM M14 and the G&G SR25.
    The other option is to take an existing long barrel rifle, like the M16, AUG or G3, and upgrade the hell out of it with tightbores and better hops for accuracy, air seals for better stability, higher power batteries and MOSFET's for faster trigger response and less noise. With the AUG there's also the option, because of it's position in the body, to pad out some of the area around the gearbox with noise dampening material.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mayotobo

what about spring dragunuvs or are they any use for ones under that budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

P.K wrote: »
    Well, i havent used one that much to be able to comment on range and rate of fire, from the few shots i did get out of one but both seemed to be pretty good, but could be alot better.

I've only ever seen the fake wood ones, which is complete ****e as far as fake wood goes, AGM made a better version of the wood one. The body is also known to split on the joinery lines.

Also the gearbox on them is plastic as well, but seems half decent from the one i have seen.but tbh, i wouldnt expect miralces from it.

Compared to the AGM ones they fall short of the mark apart from one key difference the triggers on the AGM ones seem to be weaker and easier to break where as the ASG seem to be that little bit stronger,
    Also the AGM ones have metal gearboxes and decent bodys but no fuse unlike its ASG counterpart.

well its not much of a review but more of a relevant comment:D
    As far as I know, ASG are rebranded Cyma m14s, they have metal gearboxes, and are the best on the clone market...

Fake wood is bad? Cyma is renound for its fake wood... and if you think its bad, try a TM, thier fake wood is even worse...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

have to agree with firekitten, when i striped my brothers m14 it was aa gearbox in it!

The ones on the Irish seem to be hit and miss. Some can be spot on while others can be unmitigated disasters. I've seen a few that have been less than impressive but I have an inkling that these particular ASG rebrands were not necessarily Cyma.

mayotobo wrote: »
    what about spring dragunuvs or are they any use for ones under that budget?

Too new to the Irish market to get any full reports on yet. I have one myself and I'm not sure about it. It looks good and it has a nice weight but the cocking weight is fairly hefty and firing isn't at all what I'd note as quiet. I wouldn't quite call it a practical sniper rifle yet. Unless some mods are done to reduce the noise, I'd look at it more as a collector piece or one for serious AK lovers only.

Used one yesterday... lovely gun actually. the cocking action is as hard as the king arms, but with that style... its expected really. Firing i saw was fairly good. accurate and long range. As for loudness... oh well. Not every sniper rifle must be silent. Sometimes its advantagous... my aw.50 had a noveske inside the muzzle brake hehe :D svd is a squad sniper weapon, ergo, sound isnt as big a deal.

As for the m14... 'hit and miss on the irish market ...' I've heard that phrasing before...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I really liked it actually,
    im not bothered by the noise, its more of a DMR than a sniper rifle and the nosie is down to the anodized cnc piston. the leather cheek piece is a nice addition too and it takes AEG type springs so easy to fine tune to get to 1J, plus their really easy to change. :)

• Advertisement

Firekitten wrote: »
    As for the m14... 'hit and miss on the irish market ...' I've heard that phrasing before...

Easy now, ASG rebrand anything. The idea they may get a different brand the odd time is entirely plausible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

the ASG M14 is actually made by cyma, the plastic wood isnt great but the internals are rock solid. the AGM one has weak trigger contacts are are difficult to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

if its a cyma, i would get it. i have the socom version and its excellent. i read somewhere there was a rumour going around that cyma had the molds taken by the chinese police (i know it all sounds a bit unreal) and they no longer make them, which is a terrible shame. But you will notice cyma (at least the last time i looked) all there m14 range was out of stock most places. The only place i saw one in stock was ebaybanned but that too hot for ireland and he wont downgrade...it is the full wooden version. That might explain why asg could be using another rebrand, however that last comment is my speculation

hope that helps.

Yup. Cyma have been out of the game recently due to having thier moulds confiscated. They are slowly getting back into the game with thier m14 and ak lines... its taking time but they have improved with this...

Advertisement