Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs. Birmingham City F.C.

• 15-08-2009 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭

8zfsrs.png V 9szewi.png

can't wait

here's my team

foster
    oshea----brown----Rio
    evra
    valenica---carrick---ando---park
    berba---Rooney
    “Jonny Evans picked up an injury against Chelsea, which resurfaced during training for Ireland,” Sir Alex confirmed on Friday afternoon. “He’s doubtful for Sunday, but it’s not serious and he should be ready for Wednesday against Burnley.

I predict a tough game with 11 men behind the ball for Birmingham but utd's class to prevail

going for 1-0 utd

sky sports 1 K.O 13.30

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Ladies and Gents, the champions are back.

Number 19 on the way :D

So cannot wait for this game, been hard watching rivals pick up decent wins so we must follow suit.

Cmon UTD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

3 points would be nice please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Yeah, would be a change from our usual first day draw craic, id say we will really go at it, and try to make a statement tomorow, nothing to the extent or arsenal but hopefully win by two or three goals.:p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Wes Brown is expected to start for Manchester United when the Premier League champions begin the defence of their title against Birmingham on Sunday.
    Brown has recovered from a thigh injury he picked up in pre-season so, with Jonny Evans (ankle) likely to join Nemanja Vidic (calf) and Gary Neville (groin) on the sidelines, the England defender should play in central defence alongside Rio Ferdinand.
    Ben Foster is fit and seems certain to pip Tomasz Kuszczak for the goalkeeping slot as United begin life without Cristiano Ronaldo.
    Antonio Valencia and Michael Owen could make their debuts.
    Birmingham manager Alex McLeish faces major selection problems.
    Defenders Liam Ridgewell, Martin Taylor, Scott Dann, Giovanny Espinoza and David Murphy are all unavailable.
    Midfielder Lee Bowyer is suspended while striker Marcus Bent is sidelined by a hamstring problem.
    But new signings Joe Hart, Roger Johnson, Gregory Vignal and Barry Ferguson will all make their debuts.
    Fellow new boy, striker Christian Benitez, could be on the bench as he continues his recovery from shoulder surgery.

Teams:

Man Utd (from): Foster, Kuszczak, O'Shea, De Laet, Ferdinand, Brown, Evans, Evra, Fabio, Nani, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Anderson, Giggs, Park, Tosic, Valencia, Owen, Rooney, Berbatov, Macheda.

Birmingham (from): Hart, Taylor, Carr, Roger Johnson, Queudrue, Vignal, Parnaby, Larsson, Carsley, Ferguson, McSheffrey, Damien Johnson, Fahey, McFadden, Jerome, O'Connor, Phillips, Benitez, Sammons, Wilson.

sporting life preview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

damn, I think we've already been overshadowed by Arsenal. Anything other than a convincing win and we'll be mauled in the press.

Valencia and Nani ftw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

It's good to be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

a tough 2-0 win for utd i reckon.

berba with both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I am hoping for a 2-0 result. Hope Valencia settles ok. Seemed very nervous against Chelsea but he has a run of a few games against "lower profile clubs" that will hopefully get him in the swing of things. Nani and Rooney to score.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

killwill wrote: »
    I am hoping for a 2-0 result. Hope Valencia settles ok. Seemed very nervous against Chelsea but he has a run of a few games against "lower profile clubs" that will hopefully get him in the swing of things. Nani and Rooney to score.

I thought valencia looked confident. He kept taking on Cole, if you fancy your chances against Cole you are far from Nervous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

killwill wrote: »

Did you see him against Valencia? No nerve problems with him, he probably gave their LB nightmares. He may just need time in a game to properly warm up and is not suited to sub appearances. He is like a bullet and is not afraid to get stuck in either, has good shooting and great crosses, can't wait to see more of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Liam O wrote: »
    Did you see him against Valencia? No nerve problems with him, he probably gave their LB nightmares. He may just need time in a game to properly warm up and is not suited to sub appearances. He is like a bullet and is not afraid to get stuck in either, has good shooting and great crosses, can't wait to see more of him.

I was talking about against Chelsea. Now I do realise he settled into the game eventually but IMO I thought he started the game a bit shaky. I do have great confidence in him, I am just very nervous coming to the start of the season and dread a 1-1 start to the league!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

A solid if unspectacular start for United I would imagine....cant see us being ahead of Arsenal on goal difference somehow tomorrow night!

2-0, goals from Berba and Owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think 2-1 to United. Expect Foster to make a mess of something as I have him in my FF team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

7-0 drubbing with Rooney and O'Shea getting a hat-trick each with all assists from Valencia and himself grabbing one late on from an O'Shea cross*

*My FF team needs it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

7-0 drubbing with Berbatov and Anderson getting a hat-trick each with all assists from Nani and himself grabbing one late on from a Berbatov cross*

*My FF team needs it too

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Big Ears

United 17-13 Birmingham, a valiant effort from Birmingham as they score more goals in a top flight game than they ever have before, unfortunately they also concede a record amount.

It's a funny old game.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Headshot wrote: »
    can't wait

here's my team

foster
    oshea----brown----Rio
    evra
    valenica---carrick---ando---park
    berba---Rooney
    sky sports 1 K.O 13.30
    Good man Headshot, that's what I call a match thread, with the crests and a quote from the manager and everything.

I'll go with that team selection too. I'm saying 3-1. The lads will be fired up from the start and working well together imo (unlike last few years). I can see one or two defensive lapses though with Foster being nervous and Brown having been out for so long.

Can't wait for this. Football football football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Sorry do not want to sound aggorant but think it will be a comfortable home win 2-0 maybe 3-0 .
    Rooney and Berbs to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

United to win 31-0 and Ronaldo to ask if he can come home in an interview in tomorrow's News of the World.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Exciting!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm gonna go 2-1 United

Berbatov and Carrick for United and Larsson for Brum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

I'm gonna go with 2-1 to United also..Ferguson for Birmingham, Rooney and Carrick for United..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

anyone know if Fahey is likely to play for Birmingham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm expecting

Foster
    --O'Shea---Ferdinand---Brown---Evra-
    Fletcher----Carrick
    --Valencia
    Berbatov
    Nani--
    Rooney

With Nani and Valencia switching lots.

We've had a bad opening day for two years in a row now. I'm hoping that will not be the same today. Nani and Valencia to wreak havok I hope :)

PHB wrote: »
    I'm expecting

Foster
    --O'Shea---Ferdinand---Brown---Evra-
    Fletcher----Carrick
    --Valencia
    Berbatov
    Nani--
    Rooney

With Nani and Valencia switching lots.

We've had a bad opening day for two years in a row now. I'm hoping that will not be the same today. Nani and Valencia to wreak havok I hope :)

I'd say Fergie will go with that team with the exception of Park playing with Valencia on the bench..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

thought Nani was injured no?

syngindub wrote: »

Played for Portugal midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

anyone have the starting lineups yet ? im gonna go 3-0 united rooney getting 2 and berba 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Guys, anyone know any decent streams i could watch the game on?

Cheers
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

We were told last week after the Community Shield he had a dislocated shoulder, that he could be out for 2 months.

Nani then said "Actually, no, im grand. Im gonna play on Wednesday for Portugal".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

anyone know if Fahey is likely to play for Birmingham?

Quite likely. I'm more interested to see if Jayo makes an appearance as a sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Come on Biringham City :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Hope nani and valencia start and we run riot, or at the very least dont draw.
    Cant fooking wait to see United play again. Anyone know if Iraqigoals are showing the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Wheres ROCKMAN with the line up

At this stage we'll see the players coming out of the tunnel before he has them posted. Poor showing. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,862 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

United's starting XI: Foster; Rafael, O’Shea, Evans, Evra; Valencia, Fletcher, Scholes, Nani; Rooney, Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Baby steps to half one.....

Rio out according to some sources

Foster

Fabio
    Evans
    O'Shea
    Evra

Valencia
    Fletcher
    Scholes
    Nani

Berbatov
    Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Beasty wrote: »
    United's starting XI: Foster; Rafael, O’Shea, Evans, Evra; Valencia, Fletcher, Scholes, Nani; Rooney, Berbatov

that couldnt be right ^^^

raf is injured

had a surgery on a shoulder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Not a bad line-up. Glad we arnt playing top teams with Vidic and Rio missing tho.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Where you getting those line ups lads?

Surprised to see Scholes in there, although with Rio out they need someone with his experience.

Thought Raf was injured :confused:

WUM I think

Jesus. Weak back line. Can we confirm its Fabio not Rafael starting at RB, think Raf is still injured.

Anto and Nani should do the trick on the wings.

Never mind, confirmed on SSN that Rio is out so that's the line up.

Yeah, it's fabio. People can't even tell their names apart now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

just on SKY , rio out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Are Rio or Anderson on the bench?

JOS is captain according to bbc..
    Some early team news from Old Trafford - Rio Ferdinand, who was already doubtful because of a back injury, has been ruled out by a calf injury sustained in training. John O'Shea will captain Manchester United in his absence and partner Jonny Evans in the centre of defence. Full line-ups to follow.

Should be more than enough to see off Brum.

I think this means we'll see either Carrick-Giggs or Carrick-Anderson on Wednesday

O'Shea captain over Scholes? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement